Nfsc...can I Freeze Baked Or Raw Shaped Cookies??

Baking By Normita Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 12:37pm by CookiesforaGoodCause

Normita Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone. I am going to be making some NFSC this weekend but I am going to be crunched on time. I wanted to know if I could 1) bake the cookies allow them to cool freeze them and defrost them the day of the party and decorate with RI or fondant or 2) can I make the dough and precut the cookies and freeze them so I can simply just pop them out of the freezer and bake them?? Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

14 replies
OMGitsaLisa Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 15

You can totally freeze the baked cookies. I did that last week, actually, and they turned out great. I just froze them in plastic freezer bags and they came out tasting as if they'd never gone in. They warmed up in the time it took me to prepare the rolled buttercream.

11cupcakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 15

I think you can freeze dough too. They do it at the grocery store.

Normita Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks OMGitsaLisa. How long do I have to cool the cookies before I freeze them and how do I defrost them....on the counter or in the fridge??

Magna Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 15

Yes, you can freeze the dough. I think I asked this question few months ago and was told to cut the shapes, freeze them flat on the cookie sheets. I have done this now several times and can just take the pan from freezer directly to oven, I add 3 min to baking time.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Thanks OMGitsaLisa. How long do I have to cool the cookies before I freeze them and how do I defrost them....on the counter or in the fridge??

I let the cookies cool to room temperature before freezing them and I defrosted them on the counter, still in the bags so they didn't get too moist from the condensation.

Normita Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGitsaLisa

Quote:

I let the cookies cool to room temperature before freezing them and I defrosted them on the counter, still in the bags so they didn't get too moist from the condensation.

Do you pop them in the oven once they are defrosted for a couple of minutes....or once they are thawed thats it...and decorate as usual??

Normita Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna

Yes, you can freeze the dough. I think I asked this question few months ago and was told to cut the shapes, freeze them flat on the cookie sheets. I have done this now several times and can just take the pan from freezer directly to oven, I add 3 min to baking time.

Do you cover the whole thing (cookie sheet and cookies) with saran wrap or something??

erinalicia Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 15

you can also freeze the decorated cookies. I made NFSC decorated with Toba's Glace for my oldest son's 2nd birthday party. All of the cookies ended up being frozen because my son nearly-drowned 30 minutes before the party. Anyway, about 6 months after the accident, maybe a little longer, I finally opened the freezer to see them. They looked fine so I sat a few out and let them come to room temp and they tasted just as good as the day I made them.

I had made the cookies a few days before the party and decorated them, allowed the glace to dry and packaged them in cellophane bags. The cookies were stored standing upright in a shoebox. I never intended to freeze them. My mom just put the whole box of cookies and the entire cake (both are in my pics) in the freezer thinking we might have my son's party when he came home from the hospital.

Anyway, long story short... yep, you can freeze the baked cookies, you can freeze the unbaked, cut out cookies and you can freeze the decorated ones. It's a pretty forgiving cookie.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGitsaLisa

Quote:

Do you pop them in the oven once they are defrosted for a couple of minutes....or once they are thawed thats it...and decorate as usual??

Nope, once they're thawed that's it. I just decorate them straight after that.

littlejewel Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

you can also freeze the decorated cookies. I made NFSC decorated with Toba's Glace for my oldest son's 2nd birthday party. All of the cookies ended up being frozen because my son nearly-drowned 30 minutes before the party. Anyway, about 6 months after the accident, maybe a little longer, I finally opened the freezer to see them. They looked fine so I sat a few out and let them come to room temp and they tasted just as good as the day I made them.

I had made the cookies a few days before the party and decorated them, allowed the glace to dry and packaged them in cellophane bags. The cookies were stored standing upright in a shoebox. I never intended to freeze them. My mom just put the whole box of cookies and the entire cake (both are in my pics) in the freezer thinking we might have my son's party when he came home from the hospital.

Anyway, long story short... yep, you can freeze the baked cookies, you can freeze the unbaked, cut out cookies and you can freeze the decorated ones. It's a pretty forgiving cookie.

OH no I'm sorry to hear that about your son. but I'm glad he is better now

Normita Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

OMG....I cant even imagine what you went through in that period of time. I am so glad to hear that your little boy is doing much better. And thanks for your suggestions =)

erinalicia Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 15

thanks! good luck with your cookies. The NFSC recipe is my favorite along with a chocolate sugar cookie from the recipes here. Can't remember the exact name of it.

Magna Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:43am
post #14 of 15

I cover the pan with a wrap. But due to space limit in my freezer, I freeze first sheet, then I add another layer parchment paper with more cookies, freeze that on top and continue as amy times as needed. Then I just take them out by layers and put on a different cookie sheet to bake.

CookiesforaGoodCause Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:37pm
post #15 of 15

I always freeze my cookies already decorated. I put them in a sealed container with parchment between the cookie layers. Works like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%