What's A Sheet Cake?

Decorating By boxerbabe Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 8:15pm by prterrell

boxerbabe Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 5

Look, I know it's a kind of a dumb question. I have made cakes of all sorts of shapes and sizes. What exactly is a sheet cake do I use my cookie sheet with sides or is this another cake pan I need to purches. Also, how mutch cake batter do I use and how long do I bake it.

4 replies
Marronglace Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 5

A sheet cake is basically a rectangular cake and there are pans that you can find at Michael's to bake a sheet cake.

I haven't baked one myself so I can't answer your other questions.

indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 5

A sheet cake is generally a 2" tall, rectangle shaped cake. Some people call it a slab cake (geesh I HATE the word "slab"! Sounds so "sloppy" to me! You can't say that word without your tongue hanging down to your chin and saliva dripping off of it! dunce.gif )

In my area, it's just an iced cake. Some people will tort and fill the cake.

But if you stack two 2" tall cakes with filling, it's no longer a sheet cake. It's a 2-layer cake.

boxerbabe Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for the info. I have a client who wants the bace of his wedding cake to be a full sheet. Didn't make sence to me eather. I just wanted to get my facts straight before the final planing. By the way I don't like the word "slab" eithericon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 5

sheet cake sizes:
quarter: 9x13
half: 12x18
full 16x24

Quote by @%username% on %date%