Dots In Icing

Baking By taraann Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 5:33pm by TexasSugar

taraann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taraann Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 7

Have any of you ever decorated your cake and the next morning got up to dots all in your colored icing ?I believe I found the culprit.I believe its my salt.I took it out and my next cake didnt do it.Is there a certain kind I need to use?I like salt in mine.HELP!!!

6 replies
Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 7

i use normal iodized salt and have never had a problem. Try that it may help! I just recently made a recipe that i got off of here from Reenie and i loved it!!!! It does not call for salt, and i normally use salt, but this tasted great!!!!! You can also try this, here is the recipe:

Reenies Crusting Buttercream

Ingredients

2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temp.
1 stick (1 cup) Crisco, NOT the butter flavored
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
3/4 tsp. butter flavor
2 lb. bag powdered sugar
6 Tbsp. milk

Instructions

1. In a stand mixer bowl, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, Crisco, vanilla and butter flavor on medium speed until smooth and uniform in color.

2. Turn off mixer and add the powdered sugar. Turn mixer on the lowest setting and begin to add the milk one tablespoon at a time.

3. Once the sugar is just mixed into the butter mixture turn the mixer on high and whip for 5 minutes until frosting is light and semi-airy.

taraann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taraann Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much!I will try this!!!

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 7

No problem! Hope this works!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 7

I use popcorn salt in my bc and never had any problems HTH

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 7

I use regular salt, but dissolve it in the water before mixing it in. Since I started doing that, I haven't had any issues.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 7

What color was the icing? Was it purple with blue/white spots, pink or blue with white spots?

I know everyone starts off saying that salt is the culprite and it could be. But also consider your water. As a WMI I have students that will come in with the above colors with spots and half the time they never used salt. I think the minerials in the water can cause them as well. So if you notice it alot you can switch to bottle water.

Also, the good news is that once it spots it doesn't respot. So if you make your icing ahead of time and let it spot then stir it up really good you won't have any more problems with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%