Okay, Now I'm Panicking Big Cake, First Time

Decorating By keflyn Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm by snocilla

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 13

....okay, i'm scared. I'm making the cake for my grandparent's anniversary. it's a big affair, and I have to serve 120 people. The cake is supposed to be 3 tiered, I don't know how to cut the cake, and I have to have it all completed before saturday (day of party) which means I have to bake on friday, and maybe thursday. it's not a complicated cake, but it is large. How do I support this thing? I'm so scared.

12 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 13

Calm yourself, grasshopper.

3 tier to serve 120: per wilton chart, use a 6, 10 and 14 in round.
that will get you 116 servings. Pretty close.

Check out this cutting guide: http://earlenescakes.com/cakeservinst.htm

I usu bake all cakes, cool them, fill and crumb coat them on Thursday. Wrap well in plastic wrap. Frost and decorate on Friday. Deliver Saturday. I use non-refrigerated frosting and fillings.

Support this with SPS. Go to either globalsugarart.com or cincinnaticakeandcandy.com and order the sizes plates (same as pans) that you need and a pack of legs. You will need 2 plates and 8 legs. There is a sticky on this site on how to use them properly. It is an extremely reliable system and inexpensive, so I strongly recommend it. It makes transporting stacked cakes (almost) worry free.

Good luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 13

If I remember correctly, Earlene uses larger servings than Wilton, so you may not want to use her cutting guide. IndyDebi has a really good one. I'll look for it for you...

snocilla Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 13

Here's a link to IndyDeb's site. Great tutorial for cutting cake!

http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

keflyn Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 13

thank you!

snocilla Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 13

Also, by my calculation, by Wilton, wedding servings for a 14, 10, 6 is 128.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 13

Completely edited to say, yep Wilton would be 128. For 120, this is perfect.

snocilla Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

snocilla wrote:
Also, by my calculation, by Wilton, wedding servings for a 14, 10, 6 is 128.

She knows that, she's giving "the closest amount"....that's what most of us have to do. Rarely ever does what the person needs work out to an exact serving amount.

I know but she said it serves 116 and that was pretty close. I was just trying to reassure the OP that it would be enough.

Edited- Sorry Jamie, posted before I saw your edit icon_smile.gif

keflyn Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 13

you all are amazingly helpful, thank you, especially on the serving size and the cake cutting tips. I was so worried I would make too much or not enough cake. I think I should be able to pull this off, I'll probably assemble on sight. This will mean so much to them that I made the cake (plus it saves us money, that wasn't meant to sound rude, I do want to make this cake for them, grandma taught me how to bake. this cake was the reason I joined this site). I guess I'll update this as I need guidance....thanks everyone on here for putting up with me...I am very new at this.
now for my other questions
1) how do I disassemble/assemble the cake (how do I get the buttercream tier up on the cake)
2) can I make the buttercream ahead of time? like a day or two? I use buttercream dream.

thank you all and God bless!

snocilla Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

1) how do I disassemble/assemble the cake (how do I get the buttercream tier up on the cake)

If you use the SPS, you can just lift the tier by the plate.

Quote:
Quote:

2) can I make the buttercream ahead of time? like a day or two? I use buttercream dream.

Yes, you can make buttercream a few days in advance. Just keep it in a sealed airtight container

Be sure to post pics, we would love to see it!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 13

Stacking tutorial, note the placment of dowels or bubble tea straws.

Edna is great!

SPS is also a great thing if you can get it in time.

keflyn Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 13

sps won't work for me, I can't get my hands on it in time.

snocilla Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 13

Since you are assembling on site, straws or dowels will be fine. I would follow Edna's tutorial icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%