Making Fondant Ropes Using An Extractor

Decorating By alicec Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm by alicec

alicec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicec Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 16

I tried to use an extractor for my fondant to make a knitting basket cake but it was REALLY hard to get the fondant out of the hole. Is there anything I can do to make the fondant less tough while not making it insanely sticky? Thanks so much

15 replies
mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 16

I just did this the other night. I put my fondant in the microwave for 5 - 10 seconds, makes it softer and easier to push through the extractor.

HTH

alicec Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks. I actually tried that, too but only left it in for 5. It got kind of sticky but maybe I'll try for a bit longer anyway.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 16

I have trouble with this too. To make it a little easier I add a little shortening and knead it really well. I also grease my clay gun with shortening before loading it with the fondant. I also grease the plunger for easier clean up. Mine is just a plunger style clay gun, but I think there are other kinds on the market that might be easier on your hands.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 16

Add a lot of shortening. Knead it in until it's softer than you'd want to work with before you put it in the extruder.

I have the Makins extruder with the twist top and it's easy on the hands.

alicec Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 16

Thank you!! I will definitely try that. I also have the plunger kind but have been spending too much money on baking tools lately to buy the screw kind, too.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 16

just knead your fondant soft... grease the extrude a little.. works for me every time.. hth when using the garlic press for hair, etc.. do the same thing..

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 16

it's going to be sticky. Add enough Crisco for it to be a bubble gum consistency and then extrude it onto a greased cookie sheet and try not to let the rope fall onto it's self. Let the rope sit a few minutes to stiffen up. Handle quickly but with care.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicec

Thank you!! I will definitely try that. I also have the plunger kind but have been spending too much money on baking tools lately to buy the screw kind, too.

If you have Hobby Lobby in your area, most weeks they have a coupon for 40 percent off one item that you can print from their website. I used one of their coupons when I bought the extruder and it wasn't too expensive that way.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 16

I agree with SS - and the amoung of shortning is really quite a bit that you will knead into the fondant. Just extrude and go back and forth with it on the wax paper - making a giant snake! Use something sharp to cut it so it has a nice clean line. I use my palette knife or an exacto knife.

alicec Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you everybody!! I really appreciate all of your answers. Does the shortening not significantly change the taste of the fondant? If I add vanilla or something, will that help?

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 16

just made a yarn and basket cake......I use the craft gun and i love it..hate the green one....just add shortening to it and it works like a charm!

alicec Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you!! I tried it last night and it worked so well! I can't wait to finish the last ball and see how it all looks together. I really appreciate all your help.

alicec Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:45pm
post #14 of 16

thanks again! I finished the cake and am sending you a picture. everything I learned about decorating cakes is from this site so your helps means so much to me. Thank you!!
LL

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 16

Hey that looks great! thumbs_up.gif

alicec Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%