Help 4 This Wkend! How Many Round Cakes Do I Have To Bake?

Decorating By sweettooth622 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 5:51pm by sadsmile

sweettooth622 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, I am going to try and make something similar to this cake for this weekend and I have a few questions. I hope someone can help! icon_redface.gif
I'm only planning on making the middle section and below, but my questions are about the middle corset section. Hope I don't confuse anyone, but here goes:

1. How many stacked cake layers do you think they used to get this height? I'm pretty sure they used graduating sizes of pans to get the hour glass shape or maybe they're just really good at carving, but either way, that's my plan too.
2. Do you think they used cake boards in between layers? and if so, how many?
3. I plan to cover it in fondant, so was also curious how it would get cut if they did use cake boards between certain layers. Once you cut up all the pieces off the first layer down to the cake board & then removed it....wouldn't that leave the next layers without frosting on the top?
For some reason I just can visualize how this will work so any help anyone can give me before I start baking on Thursday will be greatly appreciated!

2 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 3

Doubt they used boards, looks like a standard 4" maybe 4 & 1/2" tier. Maybe use 1/2" foam core for even more height. Probably didn't use graduating layers either, it's just carved to shape. Or maybe not. I dunno. I would just carve it, personally.

sadsmile Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 3

Depending on how many people you need to feed and the size pan you plan on using you could do two(resulting in 4" cake) or three layers(resulting in 6" cake) for that design.
I think it would look nice taller from an 8" pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%