Stenciling On Round Tiers

Decorating By babeebk Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 5:34am by rainyone

babeebk Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 12

I've been practicing on dummies all weekend trying to stencil a damask pattern on round tiers. I'm about to give up...but I know it's possible because I've seen so many awesome ones on here. Can any of you offer any tips or suggestions for keeping me stencil steady on a round cake?

11 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 12

Another person to hold it from behind, or gauze bandage stretched between the two ends with a clip to hold it in place while you stencil over it.

SharonK1973 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 12

I hear you... I've been there. But realized that if I make my stencil out of soft vinyl, it is pliable enough to stay on the cake with the aid of some shortening! Made a whole lot of difference for me! Hope that helps.

Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 12

Refrigerate your cake nice and cold....The moisture will hold...What we do is put some buttercream in the center of the stencil to hold and then some on the ends to secure and then go back to fill in.

HTH

Paul

tigerhawk83 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 12

The woman at ICES this year who was selling the culinary stencils was selling a self sticking but non-stick tape to wrap around the cake and stencil. As a healthcare worker I recognized it IMMEDIATELY as Coban wrap. You can buy it at Walmart or Walgreens or whatever - often sold under Nexcare brand name. Here's how 3M describes it:
"A self-adherent elastic wrap that functions like a tape, but sticks only to itself. Available in sterile and nonsterile styles, and in a variety of widths and colors to meet your application needs.
Coban self-adherent wrap is a laminate of nonwoven material and elastic fibers placed lengthwise to provide elasticity. The elastic wrap contains a cohesive material that makes it stick to itself but not to other materials or skin. "

This link works so you can see the picture - comes in a narrow width that she used around the stencil

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTt5X&cLX46EV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--

DianeLM Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk83

The woman at ICES this year who was selling the culinary stencils was selling a self sticking but non-stick tape to wrap around the cake and stencil. As a healthcare worker I recognized it IMMEDIATELY as Coban wrap. You can buy it at Walmart or Walgreens or whatever - often sold under Nexcare brand name. Here's how 3M describes it:
"A self-adherent elastic wrap that functions like a tape, but sticks only to itself. Available in sterile and nonsterile styles, and in a variety of widths and colors to meet your application needs.
Coban self-adherent wrap is a laminate of nonwoven material and elastic fibers placed lengthwise to provide elasticity. The elastic wrap contains a cohesive material that makes it stick to itself but not to other materials or skin. "

This link works so you can see the picture - comes in a narrow width that she used around the stencil

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTt5X&cLX46EV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--

Did the person at ICES mention how to use it with stencils? How does it hold the stencil on?

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 12

Designer Stencils has this kit for sale: http://www.designerstencils.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DS&Product_Code=C400&Category_Code=CAKESUPas you can plainly see, these are items easily obtained from any drug store. icon_wink.gif

OMG....my cake is on the front page of that website....SWEEETTTT!!! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 12

Oh...I feel famous! Bwahahahaha...hee hee. How funny.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 12

Ah crap...I think that link is not working. Anyways, got to CULINARY, then cakes, then Supplies. It's there.

Loucinda Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 12

So are they giving you credit for the cake _jaime_? Nice cake! I am going to have to do one of these cakes - it is on the books for next year. I need to buckle down and give it a try. Thanks for the heads up on the cake wrap! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

So are they giving you credit for the cake _jaime_? Nice cake! I am going to have to do one of these cakes - it is on the books for next year. I need to buckle down and give it a try. Thanks for the heads up on the cake wrap! icon_smile.gif

Oh yeah, I was invited to submit it to their gallery awhile back, and didn't realize they now had a link front and center, haven't been on the site for quite awhile. Pretty neat to see that!

Yup, I mean you could order their kit....or just go buy some bandages and a couple of binder clips. icon_lol.gif

rainyone Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:34am
post #12 of 12

I totally don't get how to use the bandage... I am a nurse and have access to this stuff like mad ( I admit I use a sterile one time use scalpel for cutting details in fondant lol) So where do you attach it ? what does it stick to? Kinda confused here

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%