Buttercream Wedding Cake.....how Long Can It Be Displayed?

Decorating By Marley2458 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 7:45pm by cylstrial

Marley2458 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I am making my first wedding cake next fall for my boyfriend's sister (YAH!). I have made tiered cakes before and the unusual birthday cakes, however how long can I safely have a buttercream or cream cheese frosting "displayed"? I want to make sure I cover all of my bases, to make sure the cake tastes good but also has time to be seen! Any tricks, ideas or thoughts would be awesome!
Thanks!

2 replies
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 3

what's your icing recipe? Crisco based BC's can be set out for days. Butter based ones have a lower melting point. I dont' use butter-based ones, so I don't know about the time to set out thing, but I do know that gramma and my aunt made icing out of butter and their cakes sat on their counter for days.

cylstrial Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 3

What's the temperature going to be? I'd say your fine anywhere as the temperature is finally getting cooler. But that's something to think about as well. You can make the buttercream a week or so in advance. And it should be able to stay on the cake for a couple of days with no problem. Even my buttercream recipes that use butter still have crisco to help them hold up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%