It's Official I Hate Crisco!!!

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 5:20pm by kitcae

Rachie204 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 26

I have tried every buttercream recipe and I can't stand any of them that have veg. shortening in them. I hate the taste and the way it makes my mouth feel. But I really like how well the crisco based buttercreams smooth and are easy to work with....plus they dont need refrigeration. I have tried to most highly recommended ones here on CC and I just dont care for the taste.

Does anyone use a buttercream that doesn't use crisco? How well do you like it?

What about the French Buttercreams and that Italian Buttercreams?....why don't more people use those? Whats the catch?

25 replies
AverageMom Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 26

I agree with you...the feel of crisco makes me ill. I make buttercream with all butter, and I love it. Everyone always raves about the taste. I don't use Italian or Swiss because I'm too lazy to cook....I like a buttercream that I can toss in the KA and ta-da! Done.

luddroth Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 26

It sounds like you're one of the people (like me) who prefers butter to shortening in icing. I use Swiss Meringue butter cream, in which egg whites are heated with sugar until the sugar is dissolved, then the egg whites are beaten until they make a stiff meringue, then large amounts of butter are beaten into the meringue with flavorings. I think it's heaven on earth. Other think it is too buttery, so it's a matter of taste. The catch with the real butter buttercreams, is that they do not form a "crust", which makes it virtually impossible to get a perfectly smooth finish, and makes it virtually impossible to get sharp edges in piping. Also, as you noted, it must be refrigerated (and then brought to room temp before servign). For a decorated cake, it may make sense to use the SMBC for filling and icing, but use a decorator's buttercream (with some proportion of Crisco) for piping decorations. Piped roses, swags, etc. have to be done with a stiffer, Crisco-based icing. HTH

Mensch Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 26

Aw, 'course you hate Crisco, hunny. It is one of the grossest things there is.

tx_cupcake Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 26

I recently tried SMBC for the first time, and A) It wasn't nearly as difficult to make as I thought it would be, B) It was delicious!, and C) It wasn't as big of a nightmare to smooth as I had feared.

That being said, it IS harder to smooth than shortening-based bc because it doesn't crust, so you have to do it old school with a scraper. Also, living in a warmer climate, I know I won't be able to use it come Spring/Summer.

For all of its faults, shortening-based bc does have some advantages. Plus, some people prefer the super sweet taste of traditional bc over meringue bc. I, personally, have been converted to SMBC. At least in the fall/winter.

sadsmile Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 26

I live in Florida and I tried making some SMBC and it was soo light and delish but it melted of the cake after just five minutes out of the fridge. And my AC is set to 75° -so it wasn't that hot really. Maybe I need to try it again or try IMBC.

Rachie204 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 26

Ha I just found a link where Colette peters herself declares that she believes Crisco has no place in buttercream. LOL

Thanks for the advice guys....I just wasted an entire bottle of pure vanilla on the nasty crisco based butter cream I made so I am going to pick my son up from school and stop and buy some more and give the SMBC a try if and when my 10month old daughter will let me. I'm excited...hopefully it will go well.

Oh can you use SMBC under fondant okay or does that not work well?

Rachie204 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 26

Sadsmile...yeah I live in GA ....haha

tx_cupcake Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

Ha I just found a link where Colette peters herself declares that she believes Crisco has no place in buttercream. LOL

Thanks for the advice guys....I just wasted an entire bottle of pure vanilla on the nasty crisco based butter cream I made so I am going to pick my son up from school and stop and buy some more and give the SMBC a try if and when my 10month old daughter will let me. I'm excited...hopefully it will go well.

Oh can you use SMBC under fondant okay or does that not work well?

I have not used SMBC under fondant yet, so I can't say whether it works firsthand. I imagine you would need to make sure the cake is super chilled before you apply the fondant, though.

This thread has a lot of really good info on SMBC:
www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605.html

sugarMomma Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 26

Yes you can use it under fondant, and yes you should chill it before applying. That will help firm it enought to not dent the fondant while you apply it, help you get sharper edges too.

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 26

Oh y'all saying you can't get SMBC smooth as glass....not true. I do it every time I ice a cake. Sugarshack method until you get to the point of needing paper towels and computer paper. Seriously....smooth as glass.

cas17 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 26

i hate bc made with crisco too! so gross. i use hi ratio and it is exceedingly better. i like swiss meringue bc too but don't get to use it that much.

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 26

Glass baby.....glass. icon_cool.gif
LL

Rachie204 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 26

Jamie~

You said you use sugarshacks method up to the computer paper.

Do you mean you do everything except that since the SMBC would stick.

Doesn't sugarshack use shortening in her recipe?

playingwithsugar Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:17pm
post #15 of 26

I use the hot knife method, and never have a problem getting SMBC to smooth out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:20pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

Jamie~

You said you use sugarshacks method up to the computer paper.

Do you mean you do everything except that since the SMBC would stick.

Doesn't sugarshack use shortening in her recipe?

Method, not recipe. And yes, it would stick. I do use her recipe in super hot weather at times.

cas17 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:21pm
post #17 of 26

jaime--how in the world do you get your fondant items to stick and stay on the sides of your smbc?? i tried it with a cake i did with leaves and vines on the sides and most of them dropped off and the brown vines slipped and bled terribly. i was glad i did a small test cake before the actual cake as it would have been a disaster. sorry for hijacking the thread icon_sad.gif

cas17 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I use the hot knife method, and never have a problem getting SMBC to smooth out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

me too and yes it get very smooth but i always get "streaks" icon_redface.gif but i probably just need to practice more icon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

jaime--how in the world do you get your fondant items to stick and stay on the sides of your smbc?? i tried it with a cake i did with leaves and vines on the sides and most of them dropped off and the brown vines slipped and bled terribly. i was glad i did a small test cake before the actual cake as it would have been a disaster. sorry for hijacking the thread icon_sad.gif

They can't be heavy, that's for sure. Those little water drops were super think GP cutouts. I have stuck a pretty thick monogrammed plaque to a tier once...I was crossing my fingers, and it did hold. For heavy pieces, like curcled scrolls, I use strategically placed toothpicks to hold them up, ONLY if I am the one cutting the cake as well though, so I can inventory those picks.

cas17 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:26pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

They can't be heavy, that's for sure. Those little water drops were super think GP cutouts. I have stuck a pretty thick monogrammed plaque to a tier once...I was crossing my fingers, and it did hold. For heavy pieces, like curcled scrolls, I use strategically placed toothpicks to hold them up, ONLY if I am the one cutting the cake as well though, so I can inventory those picks.

thanks! that's pretty much what i thought. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:26pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Theresa icon_smile.gif

me too and yes it get very smooth but i always get "streaks" icon_redface.gif but i probably just need to practice more icon_rolleyes.gif

Once you have incoroprated all the butter in, and you're ready to turn the mixer off, turn it down to lowest setting, and let it turn around for a few minutes. Works the remaining air bubbles out. And use the hottest water from the tap for this. It can get messy, and you have to work quick especially with the bench scraper on the sides. Have that bowl ready to plop the icing into after your pass around the cake with the hot bench scraper.

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #22 of 26

Geez. Nice spelling today, eh? ((embarassed, but too lazy to edit))

luddroth Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:48pm
post #23 of 26

Oh can you use SMBC under fondant okay or does that not work well?[/quote]

Yes, you can and as noted it should be well-chilled first. BUT, in warm weather, bad things can happen. After years of putting fondant over SMBC, I have converted to the chocolate ganache method. Use SMBC as a filling, or to cover a buttercream cake, but the extra stiffness you get from using ganache under fondant is wonderful. There is a long thread on ganache under fondant with all the formulas -- I don't know how to attach the link, sorry.

kitcae Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #24 of 26

I've been wondering about this too. Question-What is a bench scraper?

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:01pm
post #25 of 26

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/organizeeverything1_2078_6668953799

Note the absence of any handles. This allows you to stand it perfectly on it's side and smooth straight up and down.

kitcae Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:20pm
post #26 of 26

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%