Chocolate Cake Recipe For 10' Tiered Cake With Fondant?

Baking By chefshar Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 11:58pm by SandiOh

chefshar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefshar Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:00am
post #1 of 10

What would be a good Chocolate cake recipe that would stand up well under fondant? I am just starting out and would love any and all tips etc...
Making a Gift box style cake with 2 tiers for a friends 75th birthday, and using fondant to decorate.

Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif
Sharlene

9 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 10

scratch or mix?
scratch, i use a victoria sponge recpie.
mix, the wasc is very popular on here.
xx

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 10

Oh heck....this is perfect: the ONLY chocolate cake I'll ever have anything to do with. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

Very dense, very sturdy!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 10

This is the one I use under fondant with excellent results, and it tastes amazing too:

\\http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7367/amazing-chocolate-wasc-cake

You'll have to copy and paste the link, and remove the slash at the beginning. This website jacks up posted links.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 10

Jamie, I tried the epicurious chocolate recipe today. I made cupcakes out of it, replaced some of the sugar with brown sugar and added some Frangelico...it was great. thanks for the heads up on the recipe.

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

Jamie, I tried the epicurious chocolate recipe today. I made cupcakes out of it, replaced some of the sugar with brown sugar and added some Frangelico...it was great. thanks for the heads up on the recipe.

Oooooooh! Sounds heavenly! Yeah, that recipe is just dang near perfection. I'm doing a wedding cake completely with this recipe this weekend. One tier is filled with caramel SMBC, the other two with a rasberry preserves SMBC.....delish! I rough chop really good chocolate, and sprinkle it over the pans before I pop them in the oven for extra gooeyness.

SandiOh Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 10

yum that sounds good too, especially with caramel SMBC! How do you make that? Is that similar to the brown sugar SMBC?

I used nutella SMBC as a filling and Frangelico SMBC for the top. unfortunately I ate 3 of them, and am now feeling the pain. LOL!

You wouldn't happen to have a good red velvet recipe stashed in your arsenal your willing to share? I tried Rose Levy Beranbaum's and Martha Stewart's (which is similar to Cake Man Raven and Paula Deen) - not sure I'm happy with either one.....

Sandi

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 10

Yes...brb

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 10

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7377/sarahs-red-velvet-cake-tweaked

That recipe is to die for!...the most tender crumb you'll ever eat! Caramel SMBC-can be made one of two ways. Fold fresh made (cooled) caramel into the SMBC, or, sub out the sugar in your SMBC recipe for brown sugar, cook as normal. Very very very good. I

SandiOh Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 10

thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%