Help! Global Pillars (Wilton Amazing Amazon Cake)

Decorating By nfanel Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm by nfanel

nfanel Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:08am
post #1 of 3

I want to try making wilton's Amazing Amazon cake for my niece's birthday in a few weeks:

I've never used the global pillars and have a few questions about that as well as the cake in general!

-I will have to drive @2 hours with this cake...should I wait until I get there to add the top layer?
-I know I have to make the animals on the pillars in advance and then when ready put them on the cake and put the pillars through... how do I not smudge up the animals when pushing the pillars in. Has anyone done these? Any tips?
-I've also never made a cake that big (12 inch and 8 inch). Is a regular Wilton cake base sturdy enough?

I think that's it for now. I'm excited to try this cake but there will be a lot of firsts!

2 replies
Mme_K Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:29am
post #2 of 3

I used the pillars to do this 3 tier cake:
I used the cake drums for each tier, which then sat on top of the Wilton plates.
I measured my pillars and inserted them into the tiers before delivering the cake. I drove with the cake unassembled. The globes should just slide over the pillars. I did leave the pillars about 1/8 of an inch longer than the height of the globes to make it easier to assemble.

nfanel Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 3

thanks for the tips! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%