New To Fondant

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 9:59pm by amberkw

cakebaker1957 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 9

Hi , iam really wanting to try fondant, Only fondant cake i have ever done was the one in my Wilton class, Im going to try to make the MMF fondant , so if anyone can give me tips on how to make the fondant, and most of all
Cover a cake, which size would be good to practice on?
Thanks

8 replies
confectionsofahousewife Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:14am
post #2 of 9

Hi. I like the the recipe Rhondas Ultimate MMF found on here. It has a little bit of cornsyrup in it which, I think, makes it more pliable and easier to work with. I've had good luck with it. As far as covering a cake, it just takes practice. I'm not that great at it either! I like to roll my fondant out on a heavily powdered sugar/corn starched area so that I can slide it off the counter and plop it on the cake. I also elevate the cake so that the fondant drapes below the cake. That helps me smooth out any pleats or wrinkles. I find round cakes easier than square to cover and a middle-of-the-road size (like 8in ) rather than a really small or really large cake. I'm not expert but this is what works for me. HTH

cakesrock Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:20am
post #3 of 9

I use Peggy Weaver's recipe - basic - marshmallows water and icing sugar. You have to knead it a lot and really work with it, then you get used to how it behaves and how it should behave. I've had a few disasters to learn how thick I should roll it and what the consistency should feel like. But it's cheap, tastes good and works well. Just make sure you roll it thick enough. I'm bad with measurements, so I can't give you exacts, I just know how it feels.... maybe 1/4 inch? Anyway, have fun! I was a strictly BC girl cause I hated the taste of fondant and MMF has opened up a whole new world of decorating for me!

cakebaker1957 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks Cakesrock, and confectionsofahousewife, I will try both(:

JenniferMI Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 9

Personally, I would start on a bit larger cake, like an 8 or 10, I think they are easier to work with than a 6 for example.

There are LOTS of fondants out there, find one that performs well for you EVERY time.... tastes great, too. That is important.

Jen icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Personally, I would start on a bit larger cake, like an 8 or 10, I think they are easier to work with than a 6 for example.

There are LOTS of fondants out there, find one that performs well for you EVERY time.... tastes great, too. That is important.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Thanks, i was thinking a 8 to start with,

sherrycanary62 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 9

if you want colored fondant...I add the gel paste color right after the marshmallow is melted but before adding the powdered sugar

irishreign22 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 9

Im new to fondant also.. I just did it for the first time yesterday and it came out great! I found this video was the most helpful to me.. actually seeing someone make it was what sunk it in for me.. I hope it helps

amberkw Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 9

I use either macsmom BC fondant or Michelle fosters, which is my new favorite! It takes a while to get used to and figure out the tricks to make it look nice. I love working w/ fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%