Need Your Input For A Joint Birthday Cake Please!!

Decorating By loulou758 Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm by multilayered

loulou758 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou758 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:17am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone. I'm very new here and LOVE it! There are some VERY talented artists here!!

I've always loved to bake and now have gotten to really enjoy cake decorating the last several months (dont' have all of my pics up yet).

My Dad's b-day is coming up on the 23rd of this month & my Granny's is the 18th. Since Thanksiving = all sorts of yummy desserts, I decided to do a joint cake for them. This part will probably sound very strange to most at this time of year, but I'm making it key lime flavor with raspberry filling. The reason is b/c my Dad LOVES key lime pie, & Granny loves lemon, which I figured is close enough.

My question is this: An autumn themed cake sounds most logical for this time of year, especially since it would be very hard to cohesively combine both personalities/interests onto one cake. (A cake for just DF would be super easy...golf lol or just Gran). So I thought, 'Okay, perfect timing, there are so many beautiful fall themed cakes here to inspire me!".....but then I thought....would it be weird for a cake to be decorated with fall colors then you cut into it & it's a more spring/summer flavor?? I may be way off in thinking this way, but for some reason it just doesn't seem to 'click' for me. When I think of fall flavors, I think heavier flavors like chocolate, spice, red velvet, etc. Does anyone understand my concern? I know that the inside flavor doesn't have to 'match' the outside so to speak, but this flavor/decor combo just sounds weird to me. Any suggestions??

I also thought about just decorating it like a key lime pie, I've seen a few really cute ones like that here. I'm set on the flavor, just stumped on the decor! Help, please!

Sorry this is so long and TIA icon_smile.gif

8 replies
loulou758 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 9

Anyone?? Come on, I know all of you creative folks here can help me come up with a fabulous idea! icon_wink.gif

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 9

I know what you are saying. Like it doesnt go together. The only thing is, If they love the flavor, they won't give a hoot whether it matches or not. If you do a key lime, maybe go w/ a cornicopia. You could add some pretty colored fruit to tie in the flavor? I am pretty new at this as well. I hope you get more ideas!

loulou758 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the idea!! I'm not sure if I'm quite ready for carving...a cornicopia might be a little ahead of my skill set!! I agree with you about them not giving a hoot about what the outside looks like since they love the flavor icon_smile.gif

Maybe I'm more stumped on something that will work for both of them.

Anymore great ideas out there??

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 9

If you like the cornucopia idea, you could always go to a good chocolate shop and buy one already made in chocolate. You could make the items to fill it in marzipan, or fondant or gumpaste, depending on the size cornucopia you got and how likely it would be that those items would be eaten. Heck, most chocolate shops would have the marzipan fruit already made too. Then decorate the rest of the cake to match your theme.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 9

You can find a coloring page of a cornucopia and just draw it on rather than make a 3-d, carved one.
If you have a Hobby Lobby store near you there is a better chance of finding a cornucopia mold there than say Michael's.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou758 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 9

7yyrt---You've been so helpful, thanks!! =) All of those designs are very pretty. I think I've decided to maybe do some version of polka dots in black and shades of tan...maybe throw in accents of dark red--sounds like a plain color combo but I love simple cakes.

Thanks everyone for your ideas, hopefully it will turn out okay!

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 9

I did this for my Husbands 40th and my nieces 9th birthday. Have the cake was Super Mario Bros the other half was Star Trek NG. It was a two tiered cake which also helped with the flavors the top was white cake with vanilla buttercream and the bottom was chocolate with peanut butter butter cream.
It came out really cool. I will try to paste one picture but you can see more in my pictures. I tried added a picture but it isn't working please look at my pic's for the Mario Cake HTH Andrea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%