Please Help Me With A Career Research Paper!

Business By kitty122000 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 2:38am by kitty122000

kitty122000 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:07am
post #1 of 3

Im currently attending community college to get my associates degree in small business/enterpreneurship. I have a career research paper that I am writing. I am basing my paper on owning and operating a cake shop and I am required to summarize a typical day at work. I am hoping you all can help me with this as I've never actually worked in a cake shop. If you wouldnt mind giving me a breif description of a typical day for you, I'd really appreciate it!

2 replies
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 3

I'll jump in and I'm confident you'll get lots of other great contributions.

First, I dont' think there is such a thing as a "typical" day. A baking day differs from a consultation day from a decorating day from a supply buying day from an event day.

This is a great example of what I mean when I tell people, "I know everyone thinks their industry is 'different', but mine really is." We in food prep .... food, cake, whatever .... don't really fit in a corporate mold of "a typical day". I spent 30 years in corporate america, where I went in, did the same work at the same routine at the same time every day. Food World doesn't work that way.

In a typical week, I have to line up the baking/cooking schedule for the week, make sure the supplies are ordered, pickup up and/or rec'd in time to meet those orders, schedule staffing, schedule consultations, clean, attend meetings to network (i.e. "advertise) my business with others, deal with walk-in salesmen who want to sell me stuff I dont' need, make sure orders are made and delivered on time, handle the books/paperwork, make sure payroll gets sent in, clean, remind the towel delivery guy that I told him NOT to deliver this week, call the food supplier to tell him the fruit I need for the wedding this weekend didn't come on the truck so be sure to issue a credit on my account, clean, respond to the 200 emails I get every single day, clean, and then clean again.

There is no "typical" day at my place.

kitty122000 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the reply Debi, you've given me some great insight to get started with!

Anyone else want to chime in and help?

Once again I really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%