Regular Customer's Request - I'm Upset!!

Baking By sudie1 Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm by cindy58

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:31am
post #31 of 46

I personally don't give my kids a bunch of candy and sweets, but sheesh for parties they have their fill. If they are feeding their kids healthy all day every other day what the h*** is the big deal with one cookie.

Not to mention I am sure they are gonna have all kinds of chips and things and personally I would like to feed my kids things I can pronounce and are natural (i.e. sugar, flour, butter) opposed to the chemicals and other cr*p in other "party" foods.

Not really any help to you, sorry.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #32 of 46

I agree with all of you! 'specially you debi!! LOL.
I'd like to know what else the mother is serving at this party. Did she order a cake with less buttercream? Or is she just having veggie and fruit platters? Ooops, fruit has sugar......can't serve that eitehr........LOL

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:43pm
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by heddahope

I personally don't give my kids a bunch of candy and sweets, but sheesh for parties they have their fill. If they are feeding their kids healthy all day every other day what the h*** is the big deal with one cookie.

Not to mention I am sure they are gonna have all kinds of chips and things and personally I would like to feed my kids things I can pronounce and are natural (i.e. sugar, flour, butter) opposed to the chemicals and other cr*p in other "party" foods.

No doubt--whatever happened to moderation.... As the parent of two small children, I either see parents whose kids are allowed to eat whatever they like or kids whose parents restrict their diet completely (not allowed to have sugar, pretty much ever) Whatever happened to in between....

My favorite is those that don't let their kids have sugar, but they can have all the artificial sweetener they want....yikes (that's one thing I don't let my kids have very often) Artificial sweetener use has gotten out of control--for what they were designed for they are great (those with diabetes or who need to be on a restricted sugar diet) but, they were designed to be used in moderation.

(I do like the outlined cookies though--those ones are really nice looking)

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:32pm
post #34 of 46

A couple of things stood out for me on this thread that I'd like to respond or add to. Generally, I might not get in on this conversation but it's really speaking to me.

I think you're missing the mark. Let go of your attachment to your cookies. You know they are beautiful and delicious because you get repeat business. That being said, you could be the real hero here. If you offer your regular cookies and some 'special' cookies, there might be at least one mom who will never forget you and tell all of her friends.

That mom would probably be me. Many years ago, I was diagnosed with Polycystic ovaries. This year, based on some interesting, yet subtle symptoms I took my daughter for blood tests. The doctor strongly suspected that my daughter could also possibly have/develop PCOS. My daughter had 3 hours and $18,000 of blood tests taken. She is 6.

What kind of mom worries about her child eating sugar or uses artificial sweetener often? The kind of mom who might have been spared years of infertility and menstrual cycle difficulties if medical science knew then what it knows now. As hard as I work to develop healthy habits in my kids and still recognize there are treats in the world to have, it is such a battle that I have to fight every day in a world surrounded by people who don't know better or understand.

Sugar addiction is a real problem for some people, also. I'm not looking to hi jack this thread or pick a fight, just to help educate. We wouldn't be so indignant of our customers' requests if we commonly used alcohol and the cookies were for AA. "But that's different!" you say.

Try living with the addiction and a 6 yr old who will not reap the benefits of a special diet until she's much older.
Thanks for indulging me.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #35 of 46

Didn't mean to open a can of worms here..... icon_smile.gif

Of course I worry about my kids eating sugar and I also am trying to teach them healthy habits for the future, and I have no problem with the occasional use of artificial sweeteners. That being said, occasional treats are OK--even good for you (they raise certain chemicals in your brain that keep you happier and more stable--there is a reason a lot of women crave chocolate, and other sweets sometimes)

And I agree that sugar addiction is a big problem. The problem with artificial sweeteners is that when they were developed they were not meant to be eaten all the time (were developed for diabetics, for occasional use) I know there will be people who disagree, but used on a very regular basis, they are not good for you. Studies are showing now that people who consume them on a regular basis are more overweight, or more likely to stay overweight than those who do not.....they are not totally sure as to the reasons behind this, but I've noticed in myself the more I consume the artificial sweeteners, the more I crave sugar--so I suspect, for me at least, I consume more calories to make up for my body's normal cravings, which would be satisfied with a little sugar, but not getting it so it craves more. (If that makes sense)

I also have no problem catering to customer requests, and special diets. If they want less sugar, I'd be fine with it, but would make sure they know that it will affect the end quality of the decoration, or that the decorating would just be very different.

sugarycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarycreations Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:28am
post #36 of 46

It's obvious I'm vastly outnumbered here, but I don't think the request was unreasonable. It doesn't really matter why she wanted less icing. She was willing to pay your price. She's a regular customer. She must like your cookies. You may think it's because of your great designs, but maybe she likes them because she thinks they're awesome tasting. If she had used that as an excuse to try to get you to lower your price that would have been a different story.

sugarycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarycreations Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:28am
post #37 of 46

It's obvious I'm vastly outnumbered here, but I don't think the request was unreasonable. It doesn't really matter why she wanted less icing. She was willing to pay your price. She's a regular customer. She must like your cookies. You may think it's because of your great designs, but maybe she likes them because she thinks they're awesome tasting. If she had used that as an excuse to try to get you to lower your price that would have been a different story.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:16pm
post #38 of 46

Unbelievable! Some people are just plain ignorant. sheesh!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:29pm
post #39 of 46

Are you serious? I can't believe you are usped about this request. Stretch yourself and try something new for goodness sake. Yes they are cookies and not they are not "health food" but for crying out loud you have a regular client who just wants you to back off the icing a bit. What is the issue?

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:23pm
post #40 of 46

I too am tired of all this worrying about healthy snacks. Buy them healthy snacks then, don't come to a cookie baker and request something healthy. I am a great believer in moderation, life would be pretty boring if we always ate healthy. I believe that the cause of kids being overweight has more to do with them not being active. When I was a kid we walked everywhere, played outside all day, we didn't have video games, computers, we found our entertainment with our imagination. Parents drive their kids everywhere now. Back then we didn't worry about being kidnapped, or hurt, everyone is so afraid now days. I did the same thing with my kids. We were brought up so different. We are living in a different time, we should be careful. I think parents should be just as concerned about getting out and finding fun activities to do with their kids, as well as eating a healthy diet, but for special occassions they should just relax.

cindycraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycraig Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:27pm
post #41 of 46

I have to say that I would look at this order as a challenge and embrace it. To me it's an honor that she thinks enough of your talent and ability to be a repeat customer and I would cater to that. If you don't need customers, then that's a different story. You might be surprised...you may just come up with a new cookie to sell, and a whole new pool of customers. Job security...it's a good thing.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm
post #42 of 46

I just looked at the cookies on Artgirlcookies.com - WOW! Those are so cute! And what a great way to have less icing on a decorated cookie!

I'm "stealing" that idea for sure... I make cookies only for family and friends, but I always include some undecorated cookie shapes in the packages I give for those that don't like the icing (there are many people in my family who either don't care for icing that sweet or can't eat it for dietary reasons). This idea will be a great compromise!

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:52am
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

I just looked at the cookies on Artgirlcookies.com - WOW! Those are so cute! And what a great way to have less icing on a decorated cookie!

I'm "stealing" that idea for sure... I make cookies only for family and friends, but I always include some undecorated cookie shapes in the packages I give for those that don't like the icing (there are many people in my family who either don't care for icing that sweet or can't eat it for dietary reasons). This idea will be a great compromise!

Glad to hear that you liked them too! I tried my hand at some like that last weekend and was pleased with the results. I took some to work and they received very favorable comments on both taste and appearance. We critique them as we eat them!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:20am
post #44 of 46

I would be as annoyed as the OP if I did cookies a certain way and built a business with them being that certain way...even if I knew of all the various ways cookies could be done...this was the way I do them...period...I work with this icing, this technique...this is what works for me and has done well for me...I would get buggy if someone asked me to use a different formula....

I wouldn't want to do something different if I didn't plan on offering that new product all the time....

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy58

Quote:

Glad to hear that you liked them too! I tried my hand at some like that last weekend and was pleased with the results. I took some to work and they received very favorable comments on both taste and appearance. We critique them as we eat them!

Cindy - have you posted pictures? I can't wait to try this... but I just finished my Thanksgiving cookies before I read this thread and I don't have time (or space) fro making any more until after Thanksgiving!

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm
post #46 of 46
Quote:

Cindy - have you posted pictures? I can't wait to try this... but I just finished my Thanksgiving cookies before I read this thread and I don't have time (or space) fro making any more until after Thanksgiving!

No, I didn't take pics that time. I should have, because they looked super cute. I actually tried it with some of the old style cutters (like Hallmark) with imprint lines in them -- used Glace' and the small plastic tip that comes on the Squeezit bottles and followed the imprint as a starting point. I did have about 9 colors going, so they were very colorful.

I hope to try some more before Thanksgiving and get some pics up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%