New Business Venture

Business By sunkoast Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm by thecookieladycc

sunkoast Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 4

Hello to all. I am new to this forum and am sure there is a thread somewhere regarding the topic I'm looking to discuss, however, I cannot find it. I own a restaurant and have been dabbling in cakes for quite awhile. I've already sold a couple of cakes and am looking to create a niche in my business to include custom cakes. Unfortunately, I'm unsure of where to find distributors of bulk supples, pricing out cakes, along with oh, about a thousand more questions....lol. If anyone would be kind enough to direct me to previous discussions or have the time to share ANY kind of information, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Mary

3 replies
WykdGud Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:52am
post #2 of 4

It would be hard to answer your questions without more information. What supplies are you looking for in particular? Are you looking to buy online or for a local supplier? What area do you live in?

If you own a restaurant, you should already have a costing program/process in place that would help you price out your cakes and make you a decent profit.

What other questions did you have?

sunkoast Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:10am
post #3 of 4

I'm looking for supplies such as glycerine and other specific baking products. I use a couple of large food distributors, but they don't carry these kinds of items. I can get the general cake flour, sugar, etc. with no problems. I'm open to online or local retailer in the Florida panhandle. As far as costing/profits, I have a scale for food items based upon product cost, however, it doesn't take hours and hours to make burgers, sandwiches and plate lunches so I'm unsure as to how to factor in the labor costs associated with cakes.
Unfortunately, I'm in a very small town area which doesn't tend to purchase large cakes. On the flip side, I'm only an hour away from Destin, which is extremely popular for brides flying into the area for weddings; I'm just not sure how to market to them.
I've signed up for a booth at our "Hometown Christmas" crafts type market that is held every year and am in the process of planning to display some cakes. Once again, I'd like to display cakes which tend to be the most popular, whichever ones they are, (birthday or baby shower, etc.) I'd love just cover all bases with a cake for each but I'm limited on my time due to the restaurant and can only schedule maybe (2) 3 tiers (3) 2 tiers and a few singles so I'd like to target best selling areas. Thanks for your response and help!!!

thecookieladycc Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 4

I would see if there is a bakery supply store near by, they usually carry just about everything you would need. Places like Hobby Lobby and Party America carry some stuff but not a lot. Some great supply web sights I found are The Baker's Kitchen and Fancy Flours. But there are countless ones out there.
I too live in a small town (about 4,000 ppl), but because of all of the cake shows on tv, I'm finding that EVERYONE wants one and are willing to pay for them. When you are good at what you do, they will sell themselves! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%