Cake Squashers Anonymous

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 6:58pm by LindseyLoocy

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 14

icon_redface.gif

Anyone!?

With my trouble with air bubbles and needing a nice dense cake, I've taken to trying squashing!

How do YOU feel about cake- squashing!?

icon_lol.gif

13 replies
cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 14

I do iticon_smile.gif I found that tip somewhere online, before I found CC, and it worked for me. I can't seem to cut the top off in a level fashion. Plus, I like not having all of the extra cake scraps around that I otherwise might, though hubby tends to complain about that aspecticon_smile.gif

LindseyLoocy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyLoocy Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 14

the "cake squashing" term is new to me, can someone educate me on that? lol

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 14

LOL, I first heard of it after becoming a member of CC! After the cake's cooled for a few minutes but still hot and in the pan, you put (1) a layer of wax or parchment paper, (2) a cake board that fits inside the pan and (3) a plate on top of that.

Then something moderately heavy to weigh it all down. It's squashes your cake down, making it denser, and flat on top, instead of dome-shaped that you have to trim/flatten.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 14

Thats what I do everytime, I put a kitchen towel down over the cake (clean of course) then I have a.......wait for it.......Weight Watchers cookbook that is perfect size and I put it down on top of the towel works perfect everytime! I have found if you wait to long to put it on the cake will spring right back up so I do it as soon as the cake comes out. HTH! ! !

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 14

I use a cookie sheet. Bigger than the pan, and just press.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 14

My name is Renee and I'm a squashaholic icon_smile.gif

I've been squashing for a long time. I didn't like the cake wasted when I had to level it. I rarely have to use the leveler now. And the cake is more dense.

LindseyLoocy Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 14

hmm... that is very interesting. I can honestly say I never thought of that. Thanks for the education, lol. icon_biggrin.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I use a cookie sheet. Bigger than the pan, and just press.

Ditto.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:54pm
post #10 of 14

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You guys are talking about the push-down method, where you "push down" on the cake to condense it and help level it a bit! NOW i get what you're talking about! I popped into this thread thinking someone sat on a cake and squashed it flat or something! icon_lol.gif

AmandaGudi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaGudi Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 14

Haha that's what I thought too indydebi... I thought someone was squashing their cakes when they got frustrated or something haha. I use the push down method too and it makes the cake nice and dense and easier to make level with less wasted cake!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #12 of 14

Still laughing about using the Weight Watchers cookbook to squash with! Maybe there is a use for those dumbbells that go with the excericise video....

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 14

The push-down method, not to be confused with the pull-out method, which is NOT, by the way, associated with cake.

LindseyLoocy Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:58pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

The push-down method, not to be confused with the pull-out method, which is NOT, by the way, associated with cake.

ROFL That is too funny! icon_lol.gif [/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%