Cake Squashers Anonymous

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 6:58pm by LindseyLoocy

lrlt2000 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 14

icon_redface.gif

Anyone!?

With my trouble with air bubbles and needing a nice dense cake, I've taken to trying squashing!

How do YOU feel about cake- squashing!?

icon_lol.gif

13 replies
cs_confections Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 14

I do iticon_smile.gif I found that tip somewhere online, before I found CC, and it worked for me. I can't seem to cut the top off in a level fashion. Plus, I like not having all of the extra cake scraps around that I otherwise might, though hubby tends to complain about that aspecticon_smile.gif

LindseyLoocy Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 14

the "cake squashing" term is new to me, can someone educate me on that? lol

lrlt2000 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 14

LOL, I first heard of it after becoming a member of CC! After the cake's cooled for a few minutes but still hot and in the pan, you put (1) a layer of wax or parchment paper, (2) a cake board that fits inside the pan and (3) a plate on top of that.

Then something moderately heavy to weigh it all down. It's squashes your cake down, making it denser, and flat on top, instead of dome-shaped that you have to trim/flatten.

mw902 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 14

Thats what I do everytime, I put a kitchen towel down over the cake (clean of course) then I have a.......wait for it.......Weight Watchers cookbook that is perfect size and I put it down on top of the towel works perfect everytime! I have found if you wait to long to put it on the cake will spring right back up so I do it as soon as the cake comes out. HTH! ! !

leah_s Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 14

I use a cookie sheet. Bigger than the pan, and just press.

cattycornercakes Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 14

My name is Renee and I'm a squashaholic icon_smile.gif

I've been squashing for a long time. I didn't like the cake wasted when I had to level it. I rarely have to use the leveler now. And the cake is more dense.

LindseyLoocy Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 14

hmm... that is very interesting. I can honestly say I never thought of that. Thanks for the education, lol. icon_biggrin.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I use a cookie sheet. Bigger than the pan, and just press.

Ditto.

indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:54pm
post #10 of 14

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You guys are talking about the push-down method, where you "push down" on the cake to condense it and help level it a bit! NOW i get what you're talking about! I popped into this thread thinking someone sat on a cake and squashed it flat or something! icon_lol.gif

AmandaGudi Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 14

Haha that's what I thought too indydebi... I thought someone was squashing their cakes when they got frustrated or something haha. I use the push down method too and it makes the cake nice and dense and easier to make level with less wasted cake!

luddroth Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #12 of 14

Still laughing about using the Weight Watchers cookbook to squash with! Maybe there is a use for those dumbbells that go with the excericise video....

mandysue Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 14

The push-down method, not to be confused with the pull-out method, which is NOT, by the way, associated with cake.

LindseyLoocy Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:58pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

The push-down method, not to be confused with the pull-out method, which is NOT, by the way, associated with cake.

ROFL That is too funny! icon_lol.gif [/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%