Tip Storage?

Decorating By Mrs_MandM Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm by SugarFrosted

Mrs_MandM Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 9

This might sound like a stupid question but I'm at a loss for a great way to organize...

How do you store/organize your decorating tips? By tip #? By tip type (all of the star tips together, leaf tips together, etc.)? Or some other way?

I bought the 52 piece set, plus have the tips from Wilton courses 1 and 2 - and I have NO idea what the best way is to store them, so I can easily find the tip I'm looking for. I'm finding that I'm spending minutes looking for the right tip, and it's getting a little frusterating - lol.

I have the large ultimate storage caddy, but the top two sections don't hold all of the tips I have. The 52 piece set also came w/ a case.

How do you store your tips? Thanks in advance! =)

8 replies
grandmom Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 9

I use a plastic box by Artbin. It has lots of little movable plastic dividers, and has a hinged lid. I sort them first by tip type, such as round, leaf, star. Then I sort them roughly by size/number.

http://craft.artbin.com/smallsupplystorage.asp#600ids

I use other similar but larger boxes for my gels, dusts, etc.

sweetcakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:34am
post #3 of 9

i have a whole bunch, actually enough to fill 7 of the wilton large tip holders. so i organize mine by style. one case has all rounds, then i place them in by size going from smallest at front to largest at back, the other cases have, star tips, petal tips, leaf tips, basketweave tip, drop flower tips. and one for specialty tips. it takes seconds to find the tip i need.

CakeRx Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 9

It's funny you ask because I spent yesterday organizing my tips and all my other "cake" stuff, in general!~

A couple of years ago, I purchased on clearance some round spice containers with magnetic backs and clear lids. There are also metal ones at Michael's, but they are not magnetic. Watch parts come in these round containers, also. Anyway, I used a label maker and grouped together "Leaves", "Round 1-3", "Round 4-up", "Petals", etc. This separated them enough that it at least shortened the regular "fishing" time! icon_smile.gif I put these on a magnetic board (whiteboard) to which I also attached magnetic clips for clear freezer bags of flower nails, couplers, and, clean pastry bags, and baking strips. I screwed a wrap holder at the base to hold different sized cake circles, foam board, and parchment paper. I included magnetic hooks for scissors and tape, since my kids are always "borrowing" mine. I'm not finished outfitting this board but can see what a huge difference it's going to make in terms of time and frustration!
For the specialty tips, I labeled them with the label maker to make them easier to see at a glance. I put these in my Wilton caddy, but a clear box of the type for embroidery thread with small dividers would be even quicker. Let's not even get started on the candy stuff, cookie stuff and fondant tools.... icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

..... It has lots of little movable plastic dividers, and has a hinged lid. I sort them first by tip type, such as round, leaf, star. Then I sort them roughly by size/number....

This is what I do, as well as suggest my students do as well. If they leave their tool boxes open while they are practicing I will often come around and put them in order for them.

I think it helps you to learn what kind of tips you are looking for, then you can pick the size. The smaller the number in that tip set/type the smaller the opening.

After a while you won't even need to look any more.

Also in some of the tip cases (and the toolbox) you can stack tips. So if you have several of one size I stack them together so they stay together.

kyhendry Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 9

I just put mine in those cheap plastic bins they sell in the fishing departments that you can put the dividers wherever. I actually buy different sizes and use them to hold my little luster dust containers, tips, colors, etc. LOVE THEM.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_13316____SearchResults

cylstrial Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 9

That's a good idea Kyhendry.

LOL. You don't even want to know what my tip case looks like. There's a 1 next to a 104 and a 97 and then 16, etc. Hehe.

WykdGud Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 9

I have a few of these racks: http://sewtrue.com/Store/June-Tailor-Mega-Rack-P816.html

They are hanging on my wall, and I used a marker to write the tip numbers undrneath. Tips of the same size, just get stacked on top of each other on the same peg.

SugarFrosted Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 9

I bought a spool organizer at Joann's and put in additional nails between the spool dowels. I seem to save everything (my house is like a flea market at times) so I had a bag full of styrofoam peanuts, except these look like the number 8. I cut each "8" in half and stuck a circle over each dowel and nail, to keep the tips from wiggling. I added a strip of 1/2" masking tape across the front of each level so I could write the tip numbers on it. The rack sits inside a shallow box, on top of a turntable. I store couplers and giant tips in the box under the rack. I attached poster board to the underside of the rack so my tips won't fall thru. I adapted a plastic sewing machine cover to cover the whole thing. It sits on my counter.

Here's what it looks like:
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%