Transferring A Cake

Decorating By shannonstar Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 8:14pm by DianeLM

shannonstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonstar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 5

So I made this beautiful three layer cake, doweled it and had it attached to the cake board it was on. The cake did not move an inch in transport. I had a roll of that shelf foamy stuff that makes things not move (nice description huh? Sorry, I forgot what it's called!) rolled out and it was sitting on that. However, after I carried the cake inside I noticed the fondant had rippled, as if the buttercream shifted. What did I do wrong?

I know I need a knew BC to crumb coat with, was that my problem? It didn't crust so all the turns I took driving caused too much stress?

The client didn't even notice but I only deliver perfect cakes and this made me really sad and I stressed over it all night. Even my photog noticed because she attended the party after she took all my pictures of it when it was perfect at my house.

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 5

Sounds like maybe your layer of buttercream was too thick under the fondant. That's all I can come up with.

Oh, and congratulations on being able to create perfect cakes. I've been doing this 8 years and am nowhere NEAR perfection. icon_smile.gif

shannonstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonstar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 5

lol...let me rephrase...perfect to a certain degree. Who would be happy leaving a cake with a client that didn't meet certain standards of perfection? I'm not...that is all I was saying icon_biggrin.gif

So would a crusting BC help? My layer was really thin but it wasn't a crusting one and my MMF doesn't harden either. I am guessing I didn't have the structural support on the outside.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 5

I use non-crusting bc. However, I don't use MMF. It always looks sort of lumpy to me. I'd say it was a structural issue. How long did the cake settle before putting the fondant on?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 5

Ahhh... MMF. I have absolutely zero experience with that creature.

LOL regarding 'perfect' cakes. I'm not a perfectionist. I'm a good-enough-ist. Otherwise, I'd STILL be working on my first cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%