Buddy's Cakes: Floppy Yet Flippable...what The Heck??

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 9:25pm by playingwithsugar

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:14am
post #1 of 27

Does anyone know what kind of cake recipe Buddy of Carlo's Bakery uses? He refers to all of his cakes as sponge, as far as I can tell. They are able to pick up full sheets that obviously aren't chilled because they are still floppy...yet they don't break or crack. Watching how they handle those big slabs of cake drives me crazy and I want to find a recipe for that type of cake. I do about 50% scratch baking and 50% WASC derivatives, yet none of my cakes have that type of appearance or durability (not quite the word I'm seeking, but I'm tired!).

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

26 replies
miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:32am
post #2 of 27

That's the million dollar question, we all want to know.......plus it looks so fluffy, sturdy and delicious!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:22am
post #3 of 27

I have noticed his cakes are so durable too, and he says he does use a sponge cake. If you look up sponge cakes recipes you can see they are a little different. They seem to have alot of eggs, and the whites and yolks are whipped separately. Alot don't even have any levening, I think the whites must give the rise. I was wondering how they taste, haven't ever had one. I was thinking maybe like a twinkie, it looks spongey.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:12am
post #4 of 27

Maybe he would tell us the recipe or kind of cake. I private message him on myspace and he answered really fast and was very nice too! he also has an account here on cc buddyv if I remember correctly. I'd like to know as well!

Patty*

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:17am
post #5 of 27

Foam rubber?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:39am
post #6 of 27

I noticed that his layers aren't tall at all...maybe an inch at the most??

Also, they seem to have a brownie-like appearance inside...I saw it when they were slicing down the length of a red velvet (I think it was).

Maybe that's why they're able to manhandle them...I don't know.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:54am
post #7 of 27

It kinda looks like Sara Lee's pound cake, doesn't it?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 9:14am
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Foam rubber?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I had that thought too!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:04am
post #9 of 27

His username here is buddyv...he is super nice and helpful-pm him-I'm sure he'll answer!
HTH icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 11:20am
post #10 of 27
Quote:

Foam rubber?

Why do you think they call it "sponge?" icon_lol.gif

Just kidding.

Sponge cake is an extremely durable cake, which is also pretty moisture-resistant. By that, I mean you can moisten it with a syrup, then fill it with almost anything, and it won't turn to mush on you.

In Italian, it's called Pan di Spagna (pronounced span-ya).

And if you get his recipe, please PM it to me. I want it, too. Anyone who can throw around a red velvet cake like that, well, their recipes just impress the heck out of me.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:30pm
post #11 of 27

playingwithsugar - might it have Almond Meal in it - as when i make a spongey type cake with AM - it is very moist - spongey - yet durable when handling -
And if there is one thing the Italians loveeeeeeeeeeeee - its AM and the taste and smell that goes with it.

Just a thought......... *shrugs*

Bluehue.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:41pm
post #12 of 27

Let us know if he writes back to your PM!

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:01pm
post #13 of 27

Yes, bluehue, sometimes it does have almond meal in it, which is used to replace some of the flour. It makes for an even denser cake, does it not?
And the aroma, ummmmm!

A Brooklyn-born friend of mine, and I are planning a trip to his shop next month. We want to pick up one of those cream puff cakes they sell - you know, the ones with the strawberries on it? It's still a little too warm here to transport it back to PA in the trunk. We figure December will be just the right time to bring something like that home without it wilting. If we go, I will make sure to let you all know how it was.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:04pm
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Quote:

Foam rubber?

Why do you think they call it "sponge?" icon_lol.gif

Just kidding.

Sponge cake is an extremely durable cake, which is also pretty moisture-resistant. By that, I mean you can moisten it with a syrup, then fill it with almost anything, and it won't turn to mush on you.

In Italian, it's called Pan di Spagna (pronounced span-ya).

And if you get his recipe, please PM it to me. I want it, too. Anyone who can throw around a red velvet cake like that, well, their recipes just impress the heck out of me.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I totally agree with you about the throwing around of a red velvet!!!!! That drove me crazy after doing a 3 tiered red velvet that I SWORE was sinking!!!!!!!!
Yes, I'd love to know his recipe too!!!!!!

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:07pm
post #15 of 27

Does anyone remember the Three Stooges episodes where they used a powder puff, or pillow, or sponge, as a layer in a cake? This thread is taking me back to that film short.

Theresa icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:13pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:

Yes, bluehue, sometimes it does have almond meal in it, which is used to replace some of the flour. It makes for an even denser cake, does it not?
Yes, thats right - but not dense as in heavy - as the ones i make are still quiet light to the touch and when holding - but handle very well.
You could make cupcakes from it - altho i use it for making Friands - for a dessert - with chopped strawberries through them - devine they are.

And the aroma, ummmmm!
How true - makes you hungry - even when your not - icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

A Brooklyn-born friend of mine, and I are planning a trip to his shop next month. We want to pick up one of those cream puff cakes they sell - you know, the ones with the strawberries on it?
No, sorry - i have no idea - i have only known about him since being on CC - as we don't gt him over here on the West Coast of Australia.
But i did go have a look at his shop/site on the net.
Some mighty big cakes there
- icon_surprised.gif It's still a little too warm here to transport it back to PA in the trunk. We figure December will be just the right time to bring something like that home without it wilting. If we go, I will make sure to let you all know how it was.

Oh great - you will tell us all about his shop - the whole exviting trip - what you saw - what you smelt - what HE said - what you said - each and every delectable mouthful i suppose - whilst i sit drooling at my screen -....... icon_razz.gif
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
and then describe in minute detail - the texture - the smell and the aroma wofting around you whilst you savour every morsal -
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Oh ok - do tell, probably the closest i will ever get to having one - rofl.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:21pm
post #17 of 27

Awww, Sweetie, if I knew I could get something over there, to you, intact, overnight, without having to re-mortgage my home to ship it, it would be yours.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #18 of 27

A lot of people refer to a cake as the "sponge" when they just mean the undecorated cake. It might not be a true sponge cake recipe, who knows.

In one of the first episodes they were mixing batter, and the person narrating said "and then for Buddy's secret ingredient, cream cheese. That keeps the cakes nice and moist." I don't know of a sponge cake recipe that has cream cheese in it, off the top of my head, but I'd been meaning to look into it ever since I heard him say that.

I do think they refrigerate those cakes, or freeze them, before they toss them around like that, though. They're still slightly flexible because they're so big, but unless they were cold you wouldn't be able to manhandle them that way.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:13pm
post #19 of 27

For carved cakes they make a scratch cream cheese pinda cke. For the big sheets you are talking about, thye use a Dawn Foods Sponge Cake Mix- http://www.dawnfoods.ca/food_products/enhance/enh_24500042.htm.

You can see the boxes and tubs from Dawn in the background.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:20pm
post #20 of 27

Awesome ~ there's a Dawn Foods here in Houston. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:11am
post #21 of 27

Cream cheese pound cake?

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:01am
post #22 of 27

ok may be a silly question , I just love to have as much info as I can get . icon_biggrin.gif we have a distribution center here in kansas city also .do I just go there and or am I supposed to be a business to do business with them.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:40pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubia

ok may be a silly question , I just love to have as much info as I can get . icon_biggrin.gif we have a distribution center here in kansas city also .do I just go there and or am I supposed to be a business to do business with them.

Call them and ask. Here I had to set up an account with Dawn, but then you get preferential pricing. I have to get the order in one day, then it's available for me to pick up the next day, but my Dawn isn't a big distribution centre, so it might be different to yours.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #24 of 27

Thank you -Tubbs .I set up an account on line will call them first thing Monday.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:32pm
post #25 of 27

There is a Red Velvet recipe from Buddy on the food network site. I think there is also a lemon and carrot cake recipe too. I found it when I was searching on the Foodnetwork Challenge show info

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:15pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:

A Brooklyn-born friend of mine, and I are planning a trip to his shop next month. We want to pick up one of those cream puff cakes they sell - you know, the ones with the strawberries on it? It's still a little too warm here to transport it back to PA in the trunk. We figure December will be just the right time to bring something like that home without it wilting. If we go, I will make sure to let you all know how it was.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Wow, Theresa, you must have a lot of willpower!!! I'd have that thing eaten before I got to the car. Seriously, the first time my husband and I went through a Krispy Kreme drive-thru, he couldn't believe that I'd inhaled 1/2 dozen of them before we got out of the parking lot icon_redface.gif . . . no willpower here!

playingwithsugar Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:25pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Wow, Theresa, you must have a lot of willpower!!! I'd have that thing eaten before I got to the car. Seriously, the first time my husband and I went through a Krispy Kreme drive-thru, he couldn't believe that I'd inhaled 1/2 dozen of them before we got out of the parking lot icon_redface.gif . . . no willpower here!

I never said it would actually make it home. There are two rest stops on the highway coming back.LOL!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%