Silliest Thing You Ever Had To Ask Or Figure Out?

Lounge By indydebi Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 8:39am by Maydo

indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 4:11am
post #1 of 20

Ever have to ask how to do something and it turns out to be SO simple? Or you FINALLY figured out something only to realize what a big DUH moment it is?

You know those binder clips? (photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alishia_potter/2187062520/ ) *I* didn't know you just pulled those little silver parts back to open them! Do you know how many nails I broke trying to pry those little suckers open before I accidentally figured it out? icon_eek.gif

One on my daughter. She was making cookies that looked like playing cards. She told me all of them were pretty easy except for making the spades. I asked if she made the hearts ok. Yeah. I said, "You DO realize that a spade is just an upside down heart with a stem, don't ya?" Big silence then she says, "Oh NOW you tell me!" icon_lol.gif

19 replies
BarbaraK Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:45am
post #2 of 20

Years ago, the first time I tried to fill up the petrol tank on my new car, I did not know how to get the cover on the petrol tank open. I ended up having to ask the guy who was filling up at the next bowser! icon_redface.gif

By the way, Debi, lllllloooooovvvvveeeee your avatar thumbs_up.gif

majka_ze Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 9:13am
post #3 of 20

The same for me - car! All the people here drive manual, I know exactly ONE person who drives automatic and it is quite a recent development. And the silliest thing I had to figure was how to get my new car in reverse - after driving more then 10 years different cars. On the first ride I ended with reading the manual (who does it) and still couldn't figure it out. I was lucky - it was late and the parking lot along the street was empty - because I had to drive forward and go over the sidewalk. Never again will I forget to ask how to do it in unknown car...

JGMB Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 20

I'm not sure it's something I had to "ask or figure out", but I'll tell you the dumb mistake I almost made this week!

My husband was returning from a month-long trip out of the country. He got home and realized he had no keys, as he had taken a taxi to and from the airport. So, he was locked out.

I was at a meeting at the church and he called to ask me not to do any errands afterward because he had walked from our house to a diner in town (1 1/2 miles in 35 degree weather!) and would need me to let him into the house.

Well, I turned to a friend at the meeting, told her the story, and said, "So, I have to rush home and unlock the house so he can get in." She asked if maybe I shouldn't pick him up at the diner so that he wouldn't have to walk back home. DUH!!!! icon_redface.gif

Thank Heaven for that friend, or I honestly would've rushed home, unlocked the house, then waited for my husband to get home.

summernoelle Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 20

Yesterday I did the classic push/pull thing with a door. We were out and trying to go into a packed pizza place. I pushed the door. It didn't work. I looked at it, puzzled. Was it locked? There were people inside...did they just get too busy and lock the door to keep new people out? And my husband leans over me and pulls it open. Yeah, I felt pretty smart. icon_lol.gif

DianeLM Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 20

Yup. I didn't know until hubby taught me, that you squeeze the tail of a shrimp to release the meat. If the rest of my family knew this, they managed to keep it from me forever. I'd always either tried to dig it out or peel that tiny part of shell. Sheesh!

paulstonia Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Yesterday I did the classic push/pull thing with a door. We were out and trying to go into a packed pizza place. I pushed the door. It didn't work. I looked at it, puzzled. Was it locked? There were people inside...did they just get too busy and lock the door to keep new people out? And my husband leans over me and pulls it open. Yeah, I felt pretty smart. icon_lol.gif

I work at the post office and our lobby doors open by pushing them. A lady tries to come in the exit, it won't push in so she pulls it toward her and runs it over her own toe. It's summer and she's in sandles, so I'm sure it hurt. She actually called and threatens to sue ( government and dollar signs?) We actually had to get enter and exit and push signs for the doors.

This one was my husband, we were 19 or 20 and went out to eat in restaurant where dinner comes with dessert. They were serving chocolate mouse. My husband leans over to me as the waitress walks away and asks " They serving mouse meat for dessert?" It was so hard not to laugh at him. And I still tease him about to this day icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 20

So when I was a kid, we were visiting a bunch of 2nd cousins and such. It was the first time that we had ever been there. My sister didn't realize that the glass sliding door was closed! They had to put tape on it so that she could tell the door was closed, not open. LOL! She still gets upset when I tell the story.

Memie Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 20

Taking down a 'pack-n-play'. I had sat it up outside and when I tried to take it down, I just could not get it to fold up. I was getting so mad, it was hot, I was sweating and that thing would not fold up. I was ready to just throw it into the pool and let it sink. I finally stopped, reread the directions AGAIN and realized YOU HAVE TO RELEASE THE SIDES FIRST or it will NEVER fold up. Now I can take it down in less than a minute.

Mensch Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:23pm
post #10 of 20

What is a 'pack-n-play'?

G_Cakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:47pm
post #11 of 20

LOL Ok my is very embarrassing but since hubby is reading over my shoulder he thinks that it needs to be told.

Living in Toronto, the water bill came every 6 months and on a flat rate...when we left the city and moved out to a more rural area we were told that we had to call in our meter readings and the bill would be sent out every three months based on what we used.

The first meter reading arrived and I called the water company to tell them that I wasn't sure about where the meter was in the house and she said no problem and told me where I could find it in our basement.

I give here the numbers on the meter and there was a long pause and she asks me are you sure about those numbers, so I repeat them again and she says great that our bill would be out in about a week.

Well the next meter reading came upon me and feeling much more confident I called in the reading and again long pause.... she said those are the exact same numbers you game me during your last reading are you sure?

I said yes I am staring at the meter and described what I was looking it to her on the phone.

Well after another long pause she said can you do me a favor and lift the cover on the meter....!!!!

Well much to my surprise the numbers I read to her were from the cover of the actual meter, once I lifted it up I saw the meter I was supposed to be reading....DUH!!!!

To this day I think I must have made the dumbest call of the year and my hubby now calls in the water reading himself.

JGMB Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:54pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

What is a 'pack-n-play'?

I don't have little kids, but I'm pretty sure that it's like a small playpen that is totally collapsible so that it fits into a carrying case.

Mensch Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:55pm
post #13 of 20

Thanks.... I'm child-free so I don't know these things!

Memie Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:56pm
post #14 of 20

Mensch, a pack-n-play is a portable play pen. It folds small and fits in a bag for travel. You can pull it like a suitcase on wheels.

Mensch Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:58pm
post #15 of 20

Thanks.

s_barnes76 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:31am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I'm not sure it's something I had to "ask or figure out", but I'll tell you the dumb mistake I almost made this week!

My husband was returning from a month-long trip out of the country. He got home and realized he had no keys, as he had taken a taxi to and from the airport. So, he was locked out.

I was at a meeting at the church and he called to ask me not to do any errands afterward because he had walked from our house to a diner in town (1 1/2 miles in 35 degree weather!) and would need me to let him into the house.

Well, I turned to a friend at the meeting, told her the story, and said, "So, I have to rush home and unlock the house so he can get in." She asked if maybe I shouldn't pick him up at the diner so that he wouldn't have to walk back home. DUH!!!! icon_redface.gif

Thank Heaven for that friend, or I honestly would've rushed home, unlocked the house, then waited for my husband to get home.

This reminds me of what my friend's mother did this summer. She and her husband were sharing a vehicle one day and she had dropped him at work so she could run errands. After her first stop, she realized her doors wouldn't unlock using the "clicker" (as she calls it). She calls him in a panic because she can't get into the car and doesn't want to call a locksmith. After a short pause he says to her, "Well can't you just unlock it with the key?" I guess that just goes to show how dependent we are on technology icon_biggrin.gif

redpanda Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:22am
post #17 of 20

When I was newly married, my parents both came down with the flu. DH dropped me by their house, so I could do some cooking and cleaning for them. (We had only one car at that time, and he had to go to work.) My mother decided I needed to pick up some groceries for her, and gave me the keys to her car, which I had never driven. (I got my license as an adult.)

Well, I got into the car, and I could figure out everything except how to release the parking/emergency brake. I could see the pedal that set the parking brake, but that didn't seem to be able to release it. In my attempts to find the correct control, I managed to release both the trunk and the hood. Defeated, I went back into the house and asked where the release was. My father thought it was incredibly funny that I couldn't figure out that all I needed to do was put the car into gear (Drive), to take off the parking brake.

indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:26am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

My father thought it was incredibly funny that I couldn't figure out that all I needed to do was put the car into gear (Drive), to take off the parking brake.

Goodness, i never would have figured that out either! icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

veronica720 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:00am
post #19 of 20

This really isn't something that I had to ask about, just a very funny story.

While I was in college about 11 years ago, it was rainy outside so I drove to my class building. When I parked, I turned off the car and opened my door slightly and pushed the auto lock button, so all I had to do was reach over and grab my stack of books. While I was reaching a gust of wind came and closed my door partially. It wasn't closed all the way but enough to click. Well only being clicked and not closed meant that I could not unlock it, because it was jamming the mechanism. And being in the seat I couldn't get enough force to yank the door closed, so yes I WAS LOCKED IN MY CAR.

After struggling for about 10 minutes I decided I would just climb over the seat and get out, but I guess in the rush of trying to get to class I parked to close to the car next to me and couldn't open the door enough. So I was stuck.
Then I thought about trying to open the driver door with the key through the window. So I had to start the car to roll down the electric windows and then turn off the car and reach out through the window to unlock the door, then having to start the car to roll the windows back up.

By then class was almost over so I just left. I felt like an idiot sitting in my car the whole time. I think the worst part though was telling my mother and now it is a big joke that comes up at gatherings.

Sorry this was so long, but I just wanted everyone to visualize what actually happened.

Maydo Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:39am
post #20 of 20

I'm not sure if this counts...

YEARS ago my husband and I went to a craft fair and I bought this little thing for my hair. I thought it was so funny that the print was little hamburger buns.
"What a funny print" I thought, and would always wonder why someone made this.

Finally, many , many years later, I figured it out... I looked at it one day ... it was COFFEE BEANS. ( I am not a coffee drinker so it never occured to me...).

I asked my husband if he knew and he said he did, "... the whole time."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%