Kitchenaid - Please Help

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 5:26pm by hobbymommy

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 8

Last friday I received a package via UPS.....A BRAND NEW EMPIRE RED PROFESSIONAL HD 5 QT KITCHENAID!!! It was a gift from several of my dear church friends, my first KA! I'm in LOVE!

I don't want to ruin it, sooo (hoping this is not a dumb question)....which do I use to make a double batch of Buttercream? Flat beater, Whire Whip or the spiral dough hook? I know the spiral dough hook would probably be used for 'beginning' the kneading process for MMF....but for buttercream too? Which is it?

Also, are there any threads on tips & tricks w/the KA mixers.....a thread of 'don'ts'?

Thanks,
Crystal

7 replies
dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 4:09am
post #2 of 8

Go with the paddle beater for BC. Also, if you decide to get a Sideswipe type beater (one with little silicon fins that scrape the sides of the bowl as it mixes) it's great for cake batters, but it puts a lot of bubbles in BC. I finally figured that one out today.

hobbymommy Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:35am
post #3 of 8

I just spent an hour making buttercream for the first time in my new KA. I didn't go any further than speed 3, made a double batch. I think I was being a little 'too' careful not to blow the thing up, lol. I wish I had been reading up on all I can learn about it 'before' someone had the chance to ask me for a cake....a week after I got the mixer. Are there any forums (or recipes, maybe?) that actually explain step by step directions for mixing buttercream w/a KA mixer? I do not have the tilt head, so as far as getting my PS in there, I sifted it into another bowl & just slowly spooned small amounts into the bowl at a time. I still, however, managed to get some air bubbles & it's not entirely 'smooth' either.

Crystal

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:42am
post #4 of 8

Hmm I would say beat it however your directions say, probably add PS on low speed (cup or 2 at a time) and when all incorporate beat at med-high speed. To get the air bubbles out I've read (but never tried myself) that you can put the mixer on low speed and lift the mixer head up and down to remove some of the air bubbles. Otherwise you can stir by hand to break those up.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:18am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbymommy

I just spent an hour making buttercream for the first time in my new KA. I didn't go any further than speed 3, made a double batch. I think I was being a little 'too' careful not to blow the thing up, lol. I wish I had been reading up on all I can learn about it 'before' someone had the chance to ask me for a cake....a week after I got the mixer. Are there any forums (or recipes, maybe?) that actually explain step by step directions for mixing buttercream w/a KA mixer? I do not have the tilt head, so as far as getting my PS in there, I sifted it into another bowl & just slowly spooned small amounts into the bowl at a time. I still, however, managed to get some air bubbles & it's not entirely 'smooth' either.

Crystal

There are literally hundreds of recipes/tips on buttercream! Here is a good place to begin:

www.sugaredproductions.com

Sharon is a member on CC, her screen name is sugarshack. Look up her profile, and search thru her posts-she has TONS of info, from recipe to methods. If you are serious about BC icon_razz.gif , you may want to get her Perfecting The Art of Butterccream DVD-worth every penny! And it REALLY IS "step-by-step". thumbs_up.gif She also has some short youtube videos so you can get an idea of her work.

HTH!
edited to add youtube link

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 8

When mixing buttercream in my KA, I go up to speed 2 (I think, it's the second notch) when creaming my shortening/butter, but drop it back down to 1 (or 'stir', whatever the first speed is) and leave it there while adding my PS. I add my PS in about 3 or 4 steps, and let it mix thoroughly between each addition, still on 'stir'. I read somewhere (probably CC, lol) that it will introduce the least amount of air bubbles that way. If/when it starts to get too stiff (the KA will sound different), I add in about half of my liquid, then continue with the PS and add the rest of the liquid as I see fit. I used to cream the shortening/butter and liquid all together, but lately it is throwing the liquid up and out of the bowl, lol.

HTH,
Chelle

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 8

I'm not as expert as many here - but I try not to overthink it (I have a tendency to do that icon_razz.gif ) I use the paddle and always make a double batch which is 2lbs of sugar. It's a sturdy machine - remember it's powered to knead bread dough (or fondant - which I have also done in my KA)

Basically I alternate the sugar and water, by lowering the bowl and dumping in. Once it's all in I beat it till I think it's mixed and I have been known to beat it on speed 6 for a few seconds if I'm adding color. I've found that I can smooth out any bubbles once it's on the cake using the VIVA towel and the sponge roller methods. I may smooth two or three times before decorating. You probably have to be more efficient than this if you are running a business but I bake for a hobby only, so I only have one cake at a time to work on.

hobbymommy Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 8

KJT, Thank you so much for that info. I've been wanting to get her stacking DVD, but now that I have a KA, I might go ahead with the Buttercream DVD, too, since it gets rave reviews....and, of course, I admire her work! But I didn't know about the youtube videos she had, so thanks! =)

SJHOLDERMAN, when you say to stir by hand (I don't have the tilt head model), do you mean several times while making it, or after it's complete?

TIGERHAWK83, I'm not familiar with any BC recipes using water, but would be interested in that. Also, I do use the VIVA PT method & that did help w/some of the air bubbles I was not able to get out. BUT, however, I use the plastic spackling tool, have never tried the sponge roller, think I might try that one.

Thank you all for your help....I'll be back, lol. =)

Crystal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%