Cake Charging - New At This

Decorating By bubblecakes Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 11:28pm by bubblecakes

bubblecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblecakes Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 14

Well, I have my first potential wedding cake order, I just need to give her a price. It's a very simple two tier (10'', 8'') chocolate mudcake, covered with fondant, with moulded sea shells and frangipani flowers on the edges (beach theme). I'm just a hobbyist, so I don't feel justified charging what a professional baker does.

The only other wedding cake I've ever made was for my brother, so I didn't charge, let alone pay attention to costs.

I'm thinking maybe $250AUD

Cheers in advance,

Laura

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:37am
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblecakes

It's a very simple two tier (10'', 8'') chocolate mudcake, covered with fondant, with moulded sea shells and frangipani flowers on the edges (beach theme).

icon_lol.gif What's the "simple" part of this cake? icon_lol.gif

bubblecakes Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 11:05am
post #3 of 14

I guess because there aren't lots of delicate gumpaste flowers or stripes in the fondant or anything.
I wish I could figure out how to put up the idea picture she sent me...Alas, 'tis not to be.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 14

I think Indy is just saying that while it might seem more simple, there is so much involved in making a cake that it's really not just a simple cake.

Unfortunately, we are both in the U.S. And I for one have no idea what a slice of cake sells for over there. I would just find out what the custom bakeries do charge over there and then come up with a price that you think is right.

Good luck!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 14

bubblecakes - how many people is this cake for - and will it be cut for dessert or coffee size?

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 14

I think you have to look at what others in your area might charge for a cake like that...then look at your skill level/work you do....and go from there.

Jen icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 14

In my world, a "simple" cake is BC iced with dots/scrolls or ribbon wrapped around the base. Something that can be done with your eyes closed in just a couple of hours.

To describe as "simple", a cake that is mudcake .... with fondant ..... and molded shells ..... and these flowers ......

That's not a "simple" cake ... that's a cake that will take a lot of prep time and extra hours for molding and creating the flowers.

I tell brides "You're not allowed to use the word "simple" when describing a cake because you have no idea what simple really is. What looks simple is usually more work for me."

Not being familiar with pricing in your area, I can only suggest that you be sure to factor in all the time this cake is really going to take you.

It doesnt' sound like a simple, slap-it-together cake at all.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

bubblecakes - how many people is this cake for - and will it be cut for dessert or coffee size?

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Could you elaborate on this, please? Thanks!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 14

if we are being technical, unless you are legally alound to sell cakes, you cant get any money for them (even for costs in some places), so this discussion could be irelevant. more places are asking for proof of legality/ insurance before letting an unkown cake be served too. depends on your area etc etc.

you really are best to sit down and figure out your costs:
ingrediants
extras - boards, tooth picks, soaps
power - trips to the shops, electricity/ gas used
time - usually the most expensive of the lot. at least get the minimum wage!

then do some comparision shopping. diferent bakeries will have a dierent range of prices, which you want to try and be within. and make sure u only compare with bakeries that do the same kind of cake!

on here, a basic fondant cake can start at $3 a slice (u.s. - have a look at the conversion sites - and even then the aus may charge very different, i dont know). and that is BASIC. this cake = not basic.
xx

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 14

And don't justify charging less by saying that you're not professional. If you're making the same cake as a professional bakery would, then you should charge the same amount. And probably more, if you want to charge for your time, since a professional could probably do it faster than you could.

bubblecakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:14am
post #11 of 14

It's to serve 80. I made a cake this size for my brother's wedding, and it ended up being perfect. I'm thinking about the $250 mark. Does that seem fair?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:28am
post #12 of 14

Afternoon Bubblecakes - i have sent you a *dessert and coffee* portion cutting guide via PM for you.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

CakeGenie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGenie1 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:54am
post #13 of 14

I reckon more towards $280 - $350 AUD depends which state your from, some charge more. I wouldn't do it for under 280, sounds simple and may be simple but it would still take time. Sometimes the hardest cakes to decorate are the most simple ones.

bubblecakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 14

Cheers everyone! It's been very helpful. I'm going to email the bride and let her know a price today. Fingers crossed she still wants me to do it.
I'm excited, because I feel really special knowing that she thinks enough of my cakey abilities to provide something for her big day.

Thanks again,
Laura

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%