Need Advice And A Pep Talk

Decorating By LePetitGourmet Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 1:07am by MrsNancyB1

LePetitGourmet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LePetitGourmet Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 8

After 8 years of being out of the cake decorating game, I decided to dust off my old recipes and tool and start making cakes again. And it's just been a total disaster.

I'm using the same Wilton buttercream recipe I had back then, and the icing is just too soft. No matter what I do, it's like icing soup.

My awesome cake pans have started sticking. I've been using these for years and I've never had them stick. Now that I want to make some pretty cakes, I'm having to put together every layer from the pieces I pull out the pans.

I haven't been able to complete one good looking rose or shell. I took the Wilton classes about 10 years ago, and so far, it's just not coming back. Although I do wonder if it has something to do with the soupy icing.

I'm just frustrated. I used to be good enough to sell my cakes. Now, I would barely consider giving them away.

So, I have two questions for y'all. One, how in the world do I get my buttercream to act right and crust? And two, should I retake the Wilton classes?

Thanks for listening (reading?) to me vent,
Karen

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Karen,

I bet I know what's causing the soupy buttercream. If you're using real Crisco, they changed the formula so that it doesn't have trans fats in it anymore. Try making it with the store brand with the trans fats in it, or even better, try Indydebi's recipe. It tastes a lot better and it crusts really well. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

About the pans, have you tried the nonstick spray with the flour in it? I love that stuff.

Anyhow, don't be so hard on yourself...if you suddenly took up a sport you hadn't played in ten years you'd give your body time to adjust and get used to it again. It's the same thing with cake decorating...but I'd guess 90% of your issues are coming from having the wrong consistency of icing.

LePetitGourmet Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #3 of 8

Thanks! I do use Crisco, and I'll bet that is a big part of the problem. I just went back to look at the cake. It's a square, and it's got pretty good corners considering the soup I put on it. icon_smile.gif

I saw that spray stuff, but I've never tried it. Looks like I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:40am
post #4 of 8

I hadn't tried the spray stuff either until I had to bake a couple of 14" layers. Now I don't like to bake a cake without it...plain Pam spray works in a pinch but not as well.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:22am
post #5 of 8

No worries. I came back to cakin' after 25 years away.

Your skills might be a little rusty at first, but they'll come back--kind of like riding a bike. I don't think you need more classes as much as you just need to practice and do more cakes. Also, I was helped immensely just by reading CC forums, and by searching for previous threads on whatever issue I was having.

I use Baker's Secret now, plus parchment cut to the size of the pan. I had given away all my pans, so I bought all new Magic Line ones--awesome.

Good luck to you, and stick around and keep everyone updated!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:26am
post #6 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC, LePetitGourmet. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

One of the "more's" is a recipe for homemade pan grease which you might like to try. It works well for a lot of CC members. Also has the latest smoothing techniques...

HTH

LePetitGourmet Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 8

Well, here's an update to my issues from a few weeks ago.

I tried Indydebi's buttercream recipe, and it worked perfectly. It was the consistency I was used to and taste great. Here is a picture of the first cake I made using her icing. Considering I've been out of the game and did this in a day, I am very happy with it. Thanks to all the responses. My spark is back.

Thanks again!
Karen
LL

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:07am
post #8 of 8

That looks great!! Isn't it strange how one minute change in ingredients can have major consequences in your final product. Glad that you had success using IndyDebi's recipe. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%