Please Tell Me If I'm Crazy, Mean And A Cake Snob!! (Long)

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 20 Jan 2007 , 4:29am by bethola

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 1:44pm
post #31 of 39

I would have said no in a nice way too! I wouldn't want to eat the icing from someone else unless I know them and the place it came from. We had people in my class that didn't bring things they needed and of course took from other people instead of going into the store and getting what they needed. I don't mind sharing but come on the teacher told us everything we needed for the next class! I wish you luck on your next class.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 4:20pm
post #32 of 39

My first reaction after reading this thread was that I am one of those people that just wouldn't share icing in class. I never did as a student and I don't encourage it in class unless someone is taking the class with a close friend or family member that they don't mind sharing with.

I see people bring in cakes covered in dog hairs and cough into their icing as they are mixing it. Sorry, but I'm not going to watch them offer their icing to another student. As a teacher, I think the best tactic is to make a point about mentioning to my students that the licking and sharing is just a bad idea.

I know the whole germ thing is out of control. I have a 4 year old and a 22 month old that I used to wipe down on all the time. I have personally gotten rid of the antibacterial gels and just encourage hand washing.

If you don't feel comfortable, then I agree with the posters that mentioned a polite, "No, thank you." I think you handled it great.

angie

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:12pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

As a Wilton Instructor I have seen people do some things that I couldn't always believe. Because of some of the things I do have a class rule about it on the sheet of rules I hand out at the beginning of class.

The rule is: DO NOT lick your fingers, spatula, or any other cake decorating tools. DO NOT suck icing from the decorating tips. We will learn and practice with good, clean habits. Remember, others will be eating your cakes.

I guess I don't quite understand this.

If the icing is clean enough to eat when we eat the cake, why isn't it clean enough to eat off the spatula after we finish decorating the cake?

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:48pm
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

As a Wilton Instructor I have seen people do some things that I couldn't always believe. Because of some of the things I do have a class rule about it on the sheet of rules I hand out at the beginning of class.

The rule is: DO NOT lick your fingers, spatula, or any other cake decorating tools. DO NOT suck icing from the decorating tips. We will learn and practice with good, clean habits. Remember, others will be eating your cakes.

I guess I don't quite understand this.

If the icing is clean enough to eat when we eat the cake, why isn't it clean enough to eat off the spatula after we finish decorating the cake?

I believe everyone is referring to people licking their fingers, spatula, etc WHILE they are decorating the cake, not after they are done. You obviously wouldn't want to lick your spatula, then use it to frost the cake.

I'm all for licking the spatula when you're done, and my kiddos would disown me if I didn't let them lick the KA paddle after I mixed it! LOL You just want to be ABSOLUTELY sure that your tools aren't going near the cake again.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 9:12pm
post #35 of 39

"A family germ is a family germ. A stranger's germ is a strange germ." My mother. 1959

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 9:32pm
post #36 of 39

You know, i wasn't even thinking about germs when I read the original post. I can't remember if people shared icing in my class when I took it. I'm the type that I certainly would have offered my own icing if someone was looking for a color or was running out. I probably would have passed if someone offered theirs to me, but not because of germs. I guess I figure I shold be prepared for what I'm doing and not use someone else stuff LOL. And I certainly wouldn't have cared if someone didn't want what I offered.

I am a Wilton Instructor now and so far haven't seen any such conflict in my classes. People do seem pretty willing to share when it comes to practice, but when it comes to decorating people seem to stick with their own stuff unless they are with a friend. I wouldn't worry about it. You're probably right in that in seemed like a bigger deal to you than to them.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 10:17pm
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

As was pointed out in an earlier post, I did not mean after they were finished decorating. I meant during class when we are practicing with the items. I have watched students lick icing off their tips when they don't know if we will be using it agian or if they need to use it to decorate their cakes.

I do understand licking fingers as it is almost a natural thing to do when it comes to food, but we can use baby wipes on them, but when you suck icing out of a tip, I think you need more than a baby wipe to clean them.

The reason of my rule is to make people more aware of what they are doing. As it has been said before it is one thing to do something when cooking for your family, but when you get into baking for others or giving your cakes to others you really should try to use good habits.

If you worked in a bakery would you be allowed to lick the spatulas or other tools? Would you buy a cake or eat a cake from a bakery if you saw someone doing that while standing over a cake?

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 4:06am
post #38 of 39

Hi there,
just curious, but I posted my thoughts on this thread on Thursday, right before cakerator's comment at 10:35pm and now it is gone!
Any ideas about where it went?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 4:29am
post #39 of 39

Licking fingers? Sucking on tips? EEEWWW!!

I agree with Janette on the "Germ Issue", however, that said....MY germs won't bother me....but YOUR germs can! Plus.....it's just GROSS!

Never ran across that in ANY of my Wilton Classes. But, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't use anyone else's icing either; except my cake buddys'. I've BEEN in their kitchens! LOLL I kept disposable wipes for cleaning purposes (as did my cake buddies). The only thing we shared was flavoring for our fondant (ours was Tropical Punch and everyone liked it).

I wouldn't worry too much. Be extra friendly next class; smile; compliment techniques, etc. I'm sure it will be fine.

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%