Rice Crispy Treats Question

Decorating By G3 Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 1:46pm by sherrycanary62

G3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G3 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all!

I'm planning to make a princess doll for my daughter's birthday from rice crispy treats and had a couple of questions. All help is greatly appreciated.

1. How do I mold the rice crispy treats around a real doll? Will it stick around the doll (wrapped in cling wrap), or will the doll break it apart?
2. I haven't seen the wonder mold pan yet, but does the bottom come apart - can I put the doll through the pan, and then stuff the pan with the rice crispy treats (so that i molds around the doll too)?
3. Also, I plan to cover it with buttercream (to smooth the surface) and then cover with fondant. Will the rice crispies fall apart under the weight of the fondant? Is there a way to harden the rice crispies once its been molded?

Thanks a lot for all the help.
G

5 replies
khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 6

I brush my RKT with Karo syrup before applying fondant. I've found butter softens the RKT and it doesn't stay intact as well. As to molding....think of it as clay or play do sort of, take small amounts and shape as needed for smaller objects. It is pretty pliable stuff. If you're doing something bigger start with a large amount, pressing the treats to make it denser. Not sure if I'm being clear here. Not sure about the pan as I've not used it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 6

No, the pan does come apart. It is not designed to have an actual doll inserted in the cake. It is designed to be used with the doll pics that Wilton sells (they are basically just the head, arms and torso attached to a spike).

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 6

Ooops! I meant the pan does NOT come apart. icon_redface.gif

G3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G3 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much for the replies - Having never worked with the rice rice crispy treat, I'm really nervous.. icon_smile.gif Thanks.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 6

I would think you could use the Wonder pan mold for shaping your RKT...I would line it with cling wrap....then after unmolding you could use a piece of pvc pipe to hollow out the center...just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%