Oh No....hard Fondant/gum Tex Mixture

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 11:46pm by Loucinda

mom2twogrlz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 5

I colored my fondant a few days ago and added Gum Tex to it since I would be making a long rope out of it, wanted it to be firmer. Well, I just pulled it out to start...it is firmer...too firm.

Anyway to get t his back to a workable medium????

Thanks

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

4 replies
 sherrycanary62  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 5

pop it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time...careful the outside will be firmer than the inside...nothing like hot sticky gumpaste stuck to your hands...ouch....try 5 seconds at a time to begin with...you may need to knead a tad bit of shortening into it as well...don't worry if it seems crumbly...just keep working it and it should come together

mom2twogrlz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 5

thanks. will try. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 5

I don't have much luck saving fondant mixed with gum tex to use later on. The gum tex just causes the fondant to get harder and harder.

Loucinda  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 5

As long as it is stored properly (coated with shortning, then double wrapped in plastic and then in a sealed ziploc bag) it should last just fine. I don't have any trouble keeping it.

I just do as the PP does, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to help loosen it back up - knead it and it is ready to go.

I have some from classes in August that I just used for some pieces....it was fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%