Oh No....hard Fondant/gum Tex Mixture

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 11:46pm by Loucinda

mom2twogrlz Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 5

I colored my fondant a few days ago and added Gum Tex to it since I would be making a long rope out of it, wanted it to be firmer. Well, I just pulled it out to start...it is firmer...too firm.

Anyway to get t his back to a workable medium????

Thanks

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

4 replies
sherrycanary62 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 5

pop it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time...careful the outside will be firmer than the inside...nothing like hot sticky gumpaste stuck to your hands...ouch....try 5 seconds at a time to begin with...you may need to knead a tad bit of shortening into it as well...don't worry if it seems crumbly...just keep working it and it should come together

mom2twogrlz Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 5

thanks. will try. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 5

I don't have much luck saving fondant mixed with gum tex to use later on. The gum tex just causes the fondant to get harder and harder.

Loucinda Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 5

As long as it is stored properly (coated with shortning, then double wrapped in plastic and then in a sealed ziploc bag) it should last just fine. I don't have any trouble keeping it.

I just do as the PP does, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to help loosen it back up - knead it and it is ready to go.

I have some from classes in August that I just used for some pieces....it was fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%