Gingerbread House Cake?

Decorating By ThreePrinces Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm by 7yyrt

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 16

I just got a request for a Gingerbread House cake. I don't even know where to start. HELP!

15 replies
UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 16

Do they want the cake to taste like gingerbread or just looks like a gingerbread house?

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 16

do they want a proper gingerbread house, made from biscuits? or a gingerbread cake decorated like a house?
(or, infact, a gingerbread cake, covered in the gingerbread biscuits?)

i only got 5 pics in a search on here, which im sure isnt the case! but google has plenty of pics - basic and mindblowing.
there are some good videos on youtube too.
xx

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 16

I was flicking through Martha Stewart's new holiday treats magazine in the shop the other day, it has a recipe for a gingerbread house cake. Looks like a regular gingerbread house but it is a cake, not cookie. I tried to look for it on her website but did not see it, so you can always look for the magazine in your supermarket.

ThreePrinces Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 16

It's a birthday party and the theme is Gingerbread House. (Christmas time birthday.) I'm almost thinking of making a forest theme (on a cake) with a gingerbread house in the middle - what do you think?

Or, is there any way to make a gingerbread CAKE into a 3D house?

Anyone know of any good gingerbread cake recipes that are kid friendly? I have one, but it's not very sweet; and I'm not sure a bunch of 7 year old would like it too well.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 16

I have the Martha Stewart magazine and she does have a gingerbread house CAKE.
Do you want me to scan the pages and send them to you? If so send me a PM with your email.

ThreePrinces Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 16

vago, that sounds like so much work! I'd hate for you to have to do that. Let me see if it's on the martha stewart website first!

vagostino Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 16

see if you find it or if you want to buy the magazine, it should still be out there. IF you need it, I have no problem sending it to you!

ThreePrinces Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 16

I can't seem to find it, if it isn't too much trouble, I'd love it!

vagostino Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 16

Sure, send me your email address in a PM and I'll send it to you, I already scan them!

MissHudson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissHudson Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:25pm
post #12 of 16

The frosting on the ginger-bread cake in Martha Stewart is a basic chocolate buttercream. But in the pictures it's more coffee-brown than choc-brown and matches the color of the gingerbread trim. How is this possible? It looks like a great project but I don't think it would be anywhere near as nice if the frosting and trim don't match. Ideas? Has anyone tried coffee frosting on gingerbread? Also, how do you cut it? The first piece seems easy enough but what happens when you get toward the peak of the roof?

vagostino Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:09pm
post #13 of 16

what if you do like a whipped ganache? it get's lighter but I'm not sure if the color will be like the picture

ThreePrinces Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 16

The birthday girl whose party this is for wants a chocolate cake, not a gingerbread cake. So I'll be making a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I think I may actuallyl make it more colorful with some different colored fondant and candies for the trim.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:03pm
post #15 of 16

I dont know what size cake you need but if you use 10" squares and cut them right you can stack them for the base then use the cuts to make the roof. Use a stiff icing for the snow trim and actually decorate it with candies like you would a real GB house. OR, you can do the cakes as the base them bake some gingerbread slabs to use on top of them as the roof pieces and decorate as above.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #16 of 16

This picture's small, but is nice and clear.
I think they were 8 inch squares.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%