Shipping Cakes

Decorating By FreeSpiritCakes Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 8:29pm by brincess_b

FreeSpiritCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FreeSpiritCakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:58am
post #1 of 7

I live in a rural area (SO far from civilization! ha ha) and have managed to keep a small home based cake business afloat. However, I have had many requests for cakes from surrounding cities (2-4 hours away) and have had to turn them down because my delivery costs would be too high. Has anyone ever shipped cakes by courier? If so, how to you pack them, and how did you sleep at night??? I have heard of people shipping cakes and have been asked to ship them, but I just can't fathom them getting there in one piece. Does anyone have any experience with this?

6 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:07am
post #2 of 7

Hello and Welcome to Cake Central!

There is one thread about shipping a cake, with very bad results.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-626570-shipping.html

Another thread about shipping cupcakes contains statements that at least one person shipped cakes with good results.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=655658&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 7

is there anything to stop them coming to you?
shipping seems too risky for me!
xx

FreeSpiritCakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 7

Once they hear how far they have to drive, they move on, and i lose the business! Hate turning the business away, seems like a shame, and really limits my growth!

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:36am
post #5 of 7

I know cupcakeenvy ships her cakes all over the nation...you should email her and ask her how she does it?! I sent a mini cake to my friend in Seattle (about 200 miles away). I put it in a clear container so the post man could see he cake clearly and put the address label on top, wrote "Yes it's a cake - FRAGILE!" all over the clear container, and crossed my fingers. It totally arrived in tact!! My friend said a couple petals had fallen off, but the cake was totally intact and looked wonderful. I made it with ganache filling so it was really firm/stable and I think because of the clear container, it was fine. But, I don't think I would do it again!! icon_smile.gif It's kinda scary!! - however, for "non-clients" it's a fun surprise to send a friend!!!

FreeSpiritCakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the advice... I have thought about trying that, send a cake to a friend and see how it ends up. I'll have to do that!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 7

the thing is, the packege will get handled like any other package (ie: roughly - theres an old post on here rom an ex postal worker who describes it).
so to ensure safe delivery (tht ur customer need to be prepared to pay for) means a rather large charge or a door to door courier service.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%