Help With How To Do Some Writing

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 2:15pm by Rosa2745

JaneDee Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:50am
post #1 of 9

I have a 10inch round cake on a 12inch round board. It's a tie dye/peace sign theme and I need to put two seperate "Happy --th Birthday (name)" and "Happy --th Birthday (name) onto the board. I can't really pipe it onto the cake or sides of the cake because it will cover up the design.

I didn't realize how little space I would be left with on the board. I was wondering does anyone have any neat ideas of how I can get those two happy birthdays incorporated onto the board or cake.

I thought of putting in wires and have the sayings on fondant sticking out above the cake but that's a lot of writing for that so I'm not sure what to do... Should I just pipe it small enough to fit around the cake on the board or are there any better ideas out there? TIA!!!

8 replies
indydebi Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 9

Do you HAVE to have the birthday numbers in there? Can you just put "Happy Birthday Bill and Sally"?

confectionsofahousewife Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 9

I know exactly what you mean by having less space than you think on a cake board! Do you HAVE to write anything? I'm not great at piping letters and my theory is that everyone at a party knows why they are there so its not really necessary to have happy birthday ... on the cake. But, I know people like to have their kid's (or their own) names on the cake. What about just the peoples' names and their numbers instead of happy birthday? I have done that before, I put the name Ella and then a 2 on the cake board because I didn't have room for happy birthday. It got the point across.

indydebi Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Do you HAVE to write anything? I'm not great at piping letters and my theory is that everyone at a party knows why they are there so its not really necessary to have happy birthday ... on the cake.

You know, I'm agreeing with this more and more. We all know why we're there! icon_biggrin.gif

ChristaPaloma Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 9

Given the lack of space, I would migrate to off cake with a little signs made with toothpicks poked into a chocolate or cupcake or something
placed on a seperate little server by the cake.

brincess_b Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 9

little gumpaste flags could look good. either a big one (2 supporting poles) for each person, or a word on each smaller flag.
xx

sadsmile Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 9

OK you could totally rock out individual words in RI as signs. Lay down toothpicks and Pipe over them on wax paper. Let dry and peel off and you have customs signs you can now stick into the limited space while still matching the colors and feel of the cake. I love things that stick out of the tops of cakes!!!

ninatat Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 9

boy this couldn't have come at a better time, i'm making a sponge bob cake, and am limited on space and it's for a 5 year old, i have RI made but i don't think i can use it in that little ruler mold, thinking of using fondand but it's kind of old, not sure what to use. any other suggestions

Rosa2745 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 9

When I can't fit in writng or the design doesn't allow for it too much I make a banner out of fondant and either write on it with edible markers or pipe it on with buttercream or royal icing. I use a small tip also like a 2 or 3. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%