leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:37am
post #1 of 55

is called to order.
Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

54 replies
tatorchip Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:41am
post #2 of 55

hi leah, I am relaxing tonight, enjoying the rest. Do you have lots of orders?

Loucinda Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:42am
post #3 of 55

rolling freakin' fondant - balls pink and purple for a shower cake in the morning. Finished a dinosaur (easy sheet cake with drawing on it) Tiara is made (also for shower cake) I think I am gonna get carpal tunnel from rolling little balls....any ideas on how to do that easy

No big cakes for me this weekend.

jenng1482 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 55

Just finished and had pick-ups for 2 cakes for parties tomorrow (the deer hunting and pirate cakes in my photos). What a relief! My oldest son has a swim meet all weekend and I need a break.

jenng1482 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:44am
post #5 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

rolling freakin' fondant - balls pink and purple for a shower cake in the morning. Finished a dinosaur (easy sheet cake with drawing on it) Tiara is made (also for shower cake) I think I am gonna get carpal tunnel from rolling little balls....any ideas on how to do that easy

No big cakes for me this weekend.

Easiest way I've found is to enlist the help of my 7 and 8 year olds

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:46am
post #6 of 55

4 doz assorted cookies picked up earlier today, 225 of my Louisville Cookies picked up yesterday and two small wedding cake for tomorrow, plus 2 doz cupcakes. I always underestimate the amount of icing for cupcakes, so I'm mixing up some more chocolate right now.

Loucinda Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:47am
post #7 of 55

icon_lol.gif I JUST told my DH - this is the job that all the kids of the cake decorators get to do! (we don't have anymore at home now, so it is me that is the work horse for all the jobs.) icon_cry.gif

tatorchip Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:50am
post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

icon_lol.gif I JUST told my DH - this is the job that all the kids of the cake decorators get to do! (we don't have anymore at home now, so it is me that is the work horse for all the jobs.) icon_cry.gif

same here icon_smile.gif

Kandy4283 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:52am
post #9 of 55

Well my Friday nights off are over!! lol!! I am doing this lovely mini mouse head cake that i posted some questions on and i am very nervous about!!! its time to start! i will come back in a little bit and let you guys know how its going! oh ya, forgot to mention, i have never done a filling before and she wants raspberry....so wish me luck, here i go and i will return !!!!

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:55am
post #10 of 55

Kandy, you wanna tell us how you did that raspberry filling?

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:01am
post #11 of 55

I'm doing my niece's baby shower cake for next weekend. Tonight I made the gumpaste for the flowers. I used the "Big W" brand of pre-colored fondant to make the gumpaste. Big Mistake. One package was alright, the other was starting to get hard. The pink and purple were the worst. Blending the good together with the bad didn't bring it to the right consistency. The orange and yellow are fully matured, but the pink and purple are spongy and coarse, no stretch to it at all. I'm hoping it just needs more time to mature. I'm going to let all the pastes sit until Sunday, and see if they all develop properly. In the meantime, tomorrow I will be building the framework for the cake. I can't wait until you all see this one!

If anyone knows how to make these pastes come to life, please let me know.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:01am
post #12 of 55

Over 50 views and only 9 posts? HEY LURKERS - come on in!

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:03am
post #13 of 55

There should be a law against lurkers.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lorijom Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:06am
post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

4 doz assorted cookies picked up earlier today, 225 of my Louisville Cookies picked up yesterday and two small wedding cake for tomorrow, plus 2 doz cupcakes. I always underestimate the amount of icing for cupcakes, so I'm mixing up some more chocolate right now.

Ain't that the truth...I did 2 dozen cuppies today and just went flying thru the BC! Only had one cake this weekend - an LV purse with the cuppies. So I'm in the recliner chair watching "Numbers" and checking in on all of you.

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:08am
post #15 of 55

Leah -

What's a Louisville cookie?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:09am
post #16 of 55

Well, I've been frosting, not lurking icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

For a change, I'm working on a cake tonight. And I don't know exactly what I'm going to do on it. I have a topper and some flowers made and my board covered in baby pink, but no idea on the actual design...maybe green and white stripes on one tier, pink with a white scallop halfway up on the other. It's for a baby shower and my friend didn't care at all what colors or design or anything, just 50 servings, tiered and girl colors.

jodibug0975 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:10am
post #17 of 55

I am very new to caking.... but tonight I made a practice turkey (chicken) cake. It is crumb coated and in the fridge. Definitely going to do the real thing differently (maybe use RKT for the drumsticks instead of carving them).

I baked six cakes, leveled the tops and rolled up my first batch of cake balls which are in the freezer now.

Since my baby went to bed early, I am contemplating.... do I want to go melt some chocolate and cover the cake balls (which I am anxious to try), or should I go to bed early too and start again in the morning?

Oh, and I also totally messed up my second attempt at modeling chocolate. White chocolate chips & corn syrup.... the chips never fully melted, but I kept running out of water in the bottom of the double boiler and my chocolate carmelized/browned and looks awful. It is lumpy since I never could get it all melted. I will have to toss it out and try again another time.

enoid Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:13am
post #18 of 55

Have a church bake sale tomorrow. I made turtles, cake truffles and still need to get the cookies made. The proceeds go to Kids Against Hunger. They package and ship a special fortified rice "casserole" to starving people all over the world.

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:14am
post #19 of 55

[quote="playingwithsugar"]Leah -

What's a Louisville cookie?

Theresa icon_smile.gif[/quote]

www.LouisvilleCookies.com

My own little marketing spin. Fleu de Lis is Louisville's symbol

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:14am
post #20 of 55

Jodibug, what about melting the chocolate in the microwave?

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:17am
post #21 of 55

jodiebug, white choc melts at a lower temp than milk or dark. Instead of "not melting" it sounds pretty definitely that you overheated it. Keep that temp low when you're working with white choc! Or you might want to try 20 second bursts in the microwave, stirring thoroughly after each burst.

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:18am
post #22 of 55

Texas and I are sharing a brain tonight. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:19am
post #23 of 55

icon_biggrin.gif

Only thing I use the double boiler for is tapioca pudding. Everything else goes in the microwave.

CookieD-oh Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:21am
post #24 of 55

Hello. I've never posted on this thread because I don't do many cakes, but I'm up tonight doing my mom's birthday cake. Carrot cake with cream cheese icing. She gave me the recipe (from her high school days in the 60's) and asked me to make it for her.

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:25am
post #25 of 55

Welcome Cookie! You can always come in and just chat. We're always looking for company while we work late.

StacyR Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:27am
post #26 of 55

Ok, I'll join in. I'm making yet another princess themed cake. I SUCK at tiaras yet people keep asking for them. It blows my mind! lol I printed out a stencil this time. We'll see how it goes.

I delivered a wedding rehearsal cake earlier and will finish the princess cake up in a little while. I'm looking forward to being finished for the weekend.

I've really enjoyed lurking!

Stacy

leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:37am
post #27 of 55

And we enjoy talking with you Stacy!

nannie Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:38am
post #28 of 55

am I too late to the party icon_lol.gif

I'm making gp roses (again icon_cry.gif ).

But this time I think I've finally got it thanks to the lovely miss edna and her videos.

I had been trying the 5 petal cutter and just doesn't do it for me. Her method gives me the big full roses I just love.

thanks Edna icon_biggrin.gif

aundrea Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:40am
post #29 of 55

good evening, im making my sisters bday cake for sunday. shes obsessed with 'orbs' so im making a graveyard, trying not to make it look like halloween though-thats tough.
also trying to figure out how the hell to make an orb! she doesnt know this is what her cake is. all she knows is its german chocolate w/ caramel pecan filling.
also i would love to add spider webs, but only could find colored cotton candy-i wanted something white-ish gray.
i made the grave stones last night, and tried making trees out of RKT covered in fondant, but they kept looking like a male body part! LOL!!!
so im gonna try using pretzel rods dipped in chocolate.
i have a baby shower to go to tomorrow so im trying to get as much done tonight.

redpanda Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:43am
post #30 of 55

No baking here tonight. In fact, no kitchen here tonight. Mine was demolished last Monday, as the first step in a complete remodel.

It's only been five days, and I am going through serious withdrawal. I keep finding recipes I want to try. WAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%