Why Is My Buttercream Shiny?

Decorating By sweettooth622 Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 1:34am by kakeladi

sweettooth622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:09am
post #1 of 3

I am truly a beginner here and would appreciate any help you amazing people can give me.
I've made two cakes so far, using Buttercream and the paper towel method to smooth it out. However, after I'm done the surface starts to get shiny. What the heck?
I got the recipe from one of the forum threads on here awhile back. If it will help you help me, here it is: icon_biggrin.gif
1/4 c shortening (crisco)
1/2 c Butter
1 tbsp Merengue Powder
1 tsp clear vanilla
4 c powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
and 2-5 tablespoons milk depending on consistency

I'm doing a couple of more cakes in December for birthdays and would like to get this figured out before then....if possible.

Thank you SO much!

2 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 3

It's the shortening and butter in your recipe; if you switch to hi-ratio shortening you won't have that issue. Crisco changed their formula and no longer has trans fats in it, and you need those to have your icing behave properly! If you don't want to splurge for hi-ratio shortening, try to find a store brand (off-brand) that has trans fats. You will find much better results with that than using the brand name without.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:34am
post #3 of 3

Also make sure your butter isn't too soft when you mix it. You don't want it straight out of the fzr or frig but not super soft. Use as little liquid as you can and still have the consistency that's workable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%