Cake Rental...

Decorating By diane706 Updated 15 Oct 2014 , 8:12am by julia1812

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 42

Have you guys heard about this company yet?
http://www.cakerental.com/index2009.html

This may be old news to some... I heard about this on the way to my shop this a.m. My favorite radio people were talking about ways to save on a wedding. During the commercial break before they broke into their frenzy of savings, I was saying to myself (yes out loud) please don't say anything about the cake, please don't say anything about the cake... Sure enough, this was the first "savings" they were soooo excited to share. The Patent Pending secret compartment cracks me up! When it's time to cut the cake, the couple just simply fakes like they're cutting the cake and, like magic, out comes a real piece of cake!! But, THIS incredibly informative piece of advice is enough for ME to purchase one of these masterpieces: "...the possibility of falling over during transportation, (Gee, ya think we should inform them about SPS ) heat and humidity for the outdoor weddings can be a major concern.[/b] Yep, darn those professional cake decorators!! They just don't have a clue!!
The starting cost for one of these gems is $175.00 plus shipping for a three tier.
I'm done ranting! Happy caking (or...er...foaming).

41 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 42

There's at least one CC member who has a faux cake rental business (she's in Canada) and last I heard, a couple of other people were considering it too.

Actually, I've been thinking about it, because I live in a state that doesn't license home kitchens and I'm not in a position to open a bakery, but I wouldn't mind turning my hobby into a business. And as long as you're not supplying any actual cake, just the faux cake, it doesn't have to come from a licensed kitchen.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 42

Some of the cakes on the website look like some here on CC...

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 42

Hmmmm, I don't really understand how you'd make any $$ if you bought into their franchises. Sad that the economy has driven people to opt for this.

diane706 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

Some of the cakes on the website look like some here on CC...

Well, if they look like mine do, then I'm in a HECK of a lot of trouble because the radio show was broadcast to the entire Denver Metro area and my neck of the woods in Northern CO. I refuse to sell my cakes for 175.00 for a three tier. icon_cry.gif I wouldn't even sell a 3 tier styro cake with decent decorating for 175.00!

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 42

Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I don't get it... icon_confused.gif

As a bride, I would know that the beautiful cake I'm "cutting" into is fake. What happens when cake is served, do they take the fake cake in the back and then bring out the slices?

How funny would it be if the staff dropped it in the process and it bounced? icon_lol.gif

diane706 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 42

This is what they say on their website:
"After the couple's "feeding each other" act, the display fake cake is taken back into the kitchen and the guests are served regular sheet cakes from the local bakery or wholesale store."

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 42

I am the lady from Canada who makes the fake cakes. The area that I live in isn't that big on real cakes. At least 50% of brides don't even have a cake any more because of the cost.

My least expensive cake is $50 to rent and the price goes up from there. I have about 25 different cakes to choose from and most of them are tone on tone. I can quickly change the look by adding ribbon and silk flowers. The best part is I really don't have to deal with bridezillas and because the cakes are artifical there is no last second stress. They are light and easy to transport fully assembled.

For the cake cutting a photo is taken "cutting" the faux cake and then they cut into a 4" cake that is decorated in a similar manner to their real cake.
The faux cake stays out the whole evening as a decoration. Most people have no idea that the cake is faux.

Having a faux cake isn't anything new. They have been around for 40+ years. You can set up the business without buying a franchise. You don't need the little compartment (patent pending) either.

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar02

How funny would it be if the staff dropped it in the process and it bounced? icon_lol.gif

Well, the couple would lose their deposit if the cake was rented...so it wouldn't be too funny to them.

Personally, I think it's a great idea...I think in Feb. when I have a little extra cash I'll buy some cake dummies and give it a try.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 42

So the cake fits into a a sliced out portion of the faux cake?
I would not want a to eat cake that was where other cake was placed into many times before unless is was completely cleanable smooth surface that could be sanitized.

What is the decorative part made of? The faux icing...?

dsilvest Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 42

The cakes are fondant covered styrofoam with fondant or gumpaste decorations. They look just like a "real" cake. No one can tell the difference.

sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 42

Are the faux cakes redecorated for each time it is rented out? I don't see how the area where the real cake goes can be cleaned if there is meltable fondant icing on the whole thing. More or less I don't see how old fondant can be food safe.

sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 42

Please understand I am not trying to be rude. I just don't understand how it all works. Your designs are flawlessly executed. You do amazing decorating! And do they come back after a rental looking as flawless as they go out? Or do you wind up taking alot of the deposit to re-decorate them?

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:36pm
post #14 of 42

All I know is that most brides ARE concerned just as much if not more about the taste quality of the cake. Reason they come to a custom baker and not Walmart or Costco. If it is just about savings and they don't care about the taste they can still get a cake they want designwise in many cases by just ordering a wedding cake from W or C. and not have the added expense of a rental.

dsilvest Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm
post #15 of 42

My cakes come back in great shape. I have never had to keep the damage deposit. If you look at the website you will see that the cakes are ready to go as they are or I can add colour to them in the form of ribbon and silk flowers.

I don't have the area for the slice of cake to be added. It is just an extra expense that I do not feel is necessary. I make a satellite cake instead that sits beside the faux cake. Not all brides want this either.

As for sheet cakes, most venues in this area have dessert included with the meal. Sheet cakes are not necessary therefore no extra expense just the cost of the cake rental. This is very cost effective and allows the bride to put her money elsewhere in the wedding.

sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:51pm
post #16 of 42

Oh OK. Then you don't have to worry about the whole food safe sanitary issue at all with your service. That is the part my head can not wrap around. But how do your faux cakes not get nicks and dings and fingermarks and scratches in them? Velvet rope restraints for over eager on-lookers...? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Again your faux cakes are amazing in detail and so beautiful!

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:54pm
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

I am the lady from Canada who makes the fake cakes. The area that I live in isn't that big on real cakes. At least 50% of brides don't even have a cake any more because of the cost.

My least expensive cake is $50 to rent and the price goes up from there. I have about 25 different cakes to choose from and most of them are tone on tone. I can quickly change the look by adding ribbon and silk flowers. The best part is I really don't have to deal with bridezillas and because the cakes are artifical there is no last second stress. They are light and easy to transport fully assembled.

For the cake cutting a photo is taken "cutting" the faux cake and then they cut into a 4" cake that is decorated in a similar manner to their real cake.
The faux cake stays out the whole evening as a decoration. Most people have no idea that the cake is faux.

Having a faux cake isn't anything new. They have been around for 40+ years. You can set up the business without buying a franchise. You don't need the little compartment (patent pending) either.

I checked out your website- beautiful cakes thumbs_up.gif . I'd love to make faux cakes in my area. I respect people who are able to make these incredible, edible cakes but I also see the advantage of faux cakes. I've read about them before I became interested in cake decorating, the article said that they were popular in Japan, too. I can't have a home bakery but would love the chance to create beautiful faux cakes for people who are open to this alternative. I've been asked to makes wedding cakes but I declined. I tried to suggest a faux cake with sheet cakes from a bakery but they did not get the concept. I'm hoping to have the opportunity to make one for people to see. Thanks for sharing the info.

Kayte icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:59pm
post #18 of 42

Thank You Sadsmile

If there are fingerprints I just use a damp cloth and wipe, then dry the spot.
Dings or nicks rarely happen - when they do I fill the spot with a bit of royal icing and rub with my finger to smooth the area.

At my daughter's wedding the guests used the cake table as a spot to put their drinks while dancing and there were no mishaps. I usually don't worry - the fondant dries rock hard after a while and is not easily damaged.

diane706 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:28am
post #19 of 42
Quote:

This is very cost effective and allows the bride to put her money elsewhere in the wedding.

This is precisely what I'm concerned about.

dsilvest Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:43am
post #20 of 42

I recently had a bride from New York who rented a cake for $250, shipping included. A comparable "real" cake in NY was $2500. Not every bride can afford this. You have to provide a service that is affordable or you will price yourself out of the market. This is why 50+% of brides in my area no longer order real wedding cakes. They are too expensive for the average budget.

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:27am
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

Quote:

This is very cost effective and allows the bride to put her money elsewhere in the wedding.

This is precisely what I'm concerned about.

If somebody can't afford you in the first place, then you're not losing a customer.

cassiopeia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassiopeia Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm
post #22 of 42

I think the faux cake idea is great. For those you who do this once you make a faux wedding cake how do you store it? Do brides ever ask you to provide a sheet cake and if they do what do you say? I would not be able to provide real cake since home bakeries are illegal in AZ.

dsilvest Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:36pm
post #23 of 42

To store a faux cake, cover it with a plastic bag do not seal. This will keep the dust off. Place in a cool room and away from sunlight.

I do not make sheet cakes, I only supply the faux cake. In this area of Canada dessert is usually supplied with the meal so it really isn't necessary to bake the cakes.

cassiopeia Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #24 of 42

Do you have a book of pictures that you show them of specific cakes they can rent or do you make the faux cake to look how they want it? If you do have ones already made that they can choose from how many choices do they have to pick from?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #25 of 42

Interesting....

Jen

dsilvest Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm
post #26 of 42

I have about 25 cakes on display at all times for brides to look at.

I also have a website so brides have usually looked at what is available and have narrowed it down to a couple of cakes. Either they place the order by phone, email or in person. I ask for a deposit to hold the cake for their wedding.

sadsmile Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Interesting....

Jen

Isn't though... This has got to be where all the information about cheep dummy cakes is stemming from. Here we all thought it was just a myth.

cassiopeia Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:06pm
post #28 of 42
Quote:

I have about 25 cakes on display at all times for brides to look at.

I also have a website so brides have usually looked at what is available and have narrowed it down to a couple of cakes. Either they place the order by phone, email or in person. I ask for a deposit to hold the cake for their wedding.

Thank you so much for the info. I know a lot of people on this website dont like the idea of renting dummy cakes but it would work great for me since I dont work at a bakery and home bakeries are illegal here.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:16pm
post #29 of 42

This would be good if you have a dessert supplied by the caterer, but if you have to buy sheet cakes as well it won't save that much money once you add it all up.

cassiopeia Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:21pm
post #30 of 42

That is true. Maybe some people dont even want cake at their wedding. One of my friends recently got married. She had a dummy cake just for looks and no real cake. She had a bunch of candy and other goodies there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%