Funky Letters-What Went Wrong?

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 11:54pm by __Jamie__

alvarezmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 11

I finally bought the FMM Funky Letters (lower case cause that's all they had) and tried using them last night. I was playing with Satin Ice Fondant, rolled out a piece, and pressed the stencils in. One problem. The fondant was all loose and didnt hold the shape of the letter... Should I add tylose powder? The instructions on the sheet said to use sugar paste???

10 replies
Rosie2 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 11

I think Satin Ice is way too soft for those letter...I've read here that what you can do is use gumpaste. Roll out your gumpaste and leave it to dry slightly for about 4-5mnts. Then cut your letters and they'll come right out of the cutter. That has worked for me I hope it works for you. Good luck!
Rosie

Edited to correct spelling errors...ahhh tpyng toooo fst! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 11

Gumpaste works best. Roll it out to the thickness of the smaller dark pink bands on the small white Wilton rolling pin. Rub criso over your rolled out gumpast. Place the letter cutter over it and press and swirl it around on the couter. The crisco should help it to release cleanly. lift it up and turn it over and rub your finger around the edge to make them smooth. Then smack in down to release the letter. Play with the letter to make sure it is in the right shape and let it harden firm before placing it onto the cake.

Or better yet watch Tonedna1 do it.... icon_wink.gif

alvarezmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the link to Edna's tutorial! I'm going to try and make this tonight. The recipe she is using is to much for what I need but I'll justhalf it!

cakeymom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 11

I make my fondant; mff to be precise all the time I just add tylose powder to it until I think it's stiff enough. I have fmm funky letter uppercase and script letters. I love them and have no problems. I too can thank Edna for her tutorial. She's AWESOME and her cakes are beautiful!!!!!!

grandmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 11

I use fondant all the time, just roll it out, let it dry some first. Haven't tried it with Satin Ice though.

LoriMc Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 11

I use fondant with these letter cutters all the time and yes it works best if you add a little tylose and let it dry before cutting them out. I don't think they would work very well with MMF, because it is generally more sticky than Satin Ice.

Also I've noticed if you press too hard, the fondant will stick to the letter cavity. It's not quite like using a cookie cutter.

sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 11

And it does have to be the right thickness or the swirly designs won't depress into the gumpaste and leave an impression. But not too thick or the cross bar of the outline that holds each shape in the mold will distort your letters.

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 11

And when they do stick inside the cavity, like the name of the product suggests, Tap-it out onto the counter! Well, really, I smack it, like a ruler. Pops out perfect everytime. I don't like to do it the way most people do, where it stays on the mat and you peel it off. Eh, I like rapping those suckers out!

sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 11

It's like giving a spanking with out taking it out on someone... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Stress relief. Whack- take that, and that. Pow- Smack. Pop. I couldn't tap them either I was smacking that thing! My hubby came to look because after those pops nobody was crying.

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

It's like giving a spanking with out taking it out on someone... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Stress relief. Whack- take that, and that. Pow- Smack. Pop. I couldn't tap them either I was smacking that thing! My hubby came to look because after those pops nobody was crying.

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%