What Would You Make For An Awesome Christmas Basket?

Decorating By vagostino Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 2:33am by purplebutterfly1234

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 7:37pm
post #31 of 58

Clodhoppers are wonderful! 3 cups of crushed Golden Grahams cereal (not too crushed though- I just break them up with my hand), 2 cups of melted white or dark chocolate wafers (best quality available) melted, and 1-2 cups of crushed cashews (again, not too crushed). Mix it all up spread it over wax paper and when hardened break apart and put in pretty cello bags. Easy and wonderful!!

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #32 of 58

This is going to be my first year doing something other than banana nut bread so I've gotten a lot of great ideas from this post. I'd also like to make fudge but the few recipes I've tried so far aren't my favorite....any proven recipes would be appreciated icon_smile.gif.

I'm probably going to do the standard banana bread, sweet potato bread or apple bread (mini loaves), maybe some spiced pecans, 1 type of cookie, and oreo truffles - or oreo fudge, if I can find that recipe and possibly a sample bag of specialty coffee, cocoa or cider. Not sure yet. I found great samples of cider, coffee and cocoa at my local Bi-Lo.

What I include will probably depend on how much I decide to invest in each basket. Also found great clear plastic bowls and silver platters at the dollar tree!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:43am
post #33 of 58

thanks everyone for the great ideas, really makes me ready to start baking stuff. when i think holidays i think, jam tarts, mince pies, scottish shortbread,millionaire bars (shortbread caramel then chocolate, kind of like a twix) brandy snaps, florentines. MInd you i am British so our treats are a bit differant.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:09am
post #34 of 58

This is an awesome thread!! icon_biggrin.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:40am
post #35 of 58

I want to try these this year. They look delicious and easy to make!

Candybar Balls:
http://jbeanrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/02/easy-almond-turtles.html

I also LOVE homemade toffee, so that's a seasonal must.

Here's a link to a site with a ton of quick Christmas candy recipes:
http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/cat0005.asp

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:08am
post #36 of 58

Thanks CakemommyTx for the picture !

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:08am
post #37 of 58

So, do the oreo truffles need to be refrigerated? I assume, yes.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:50am
post #38 of 58

Yes, they need to be refrigerated. I live in WA and in the winter the garage is colder than the frige. I put the finished baskets out there until delivery the next day and told everyone the little box of truffles needed to be refrigerated and every single receiver later told me they didn't last long enough to need to go in the frige!

But there is an alternate version that some people do using flavored creamers in place of the cream cheese so they don't have to be refrigerated. I have never done this, so I can't say if it's anywhere near as good as the Cream Cheese version, but here goes.

Just add creamer a little at a time until it binds enough to make balls, approx 4 1/2 - 5 tablespoons of creamer to every 20 oreos, freeze and dip like normal.

If anyone tries the alternate and has had the original version, I would love to know how they compare! Andrea

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:58am
post #39 of 58

I love these Polish cow candies, called Krowki. I finally found a recipe for them here. I think I might try to make these this year.

It says to cook to the same stage as used for making pralines. Does anybody know what that temperature is?

Thanks!

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:10am
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts

Yes, they need to be refrigerated. I live in WA and in the winter the garage is colder than the frige. I put the finished baskets out there until delivery the next day and told everyone the little box of truffles needed to be refrigerated and every single receiver later told me they didn't last long enough to need to go in the frige!

But there is an alternate version that some people do using flavored creamers in place of the cream cheese so they don't have to be refrigerated. I have never done this, so I can't say if it's anywhere near as good as the Cream Cheese version, but here goes.

Just add creamer a little at a time until it binds enough to make balls, approx 4 1/2 - 5 tablespoons of creamer to every 20 oreos, freeze and dip like normal.

If anyone tries the alternate and has had the original version, I would love to know how they compare! Andrea

I found this recipe for Oreo Truffles using condensed milk so they don't need to be refrigerated. http://melecotte.blogspot.com/2007/01/wrapping-up-cookie-platter.html

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:23am
post #41 of 58

A quick fudge that a cake decorating store owner taught me....
one pound choc or vanilla candy melts. Or whatever flavor u would like.
1 can condensed milk
nuts or marshmellows or whatever u would like.
Over a double boiler melt candy melts, add one can condensed milk and stir until blended,quickly add your nuts or marshmellows, gets thick very quickly. Pour into 8 inch square pan with wax paper covering bottom and sides. Put in fridge for a couple of hours. Cut into whatever size piece u would like. U could even crush oreos in white chocolate melts. I use merckins candy melts from cake store. Sorry if not correct spelling...Hope u enjoy...

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:29am
post #42 of 58

I love the heart shaped peppermint bark. I have to try those. I also like to make pralines & home made turtles. They're really cute too, cause I use the pecans to make a turtle shape. Lots & lots of cookies. My favorite is one that has chocolate chips, raisins, & toasted pecan & almonds. I sure would like to hear more candy ideas!

CakesHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesHeaven Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:06am
post #43 of 58

Thank you everyone for some great ideas. Last year I made some homemade nuts & bolts and caramel popcorn twists, put them in cute little bags with a ribbon. People loved them, easy to snack on

LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:24am
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKatCakes

Thank you everyone for some great ideas. Last year I made some homemade nuts & bolts and caramel popcorn twists, put them in cute little bags with a ribbon. People loved them, easy to snack on

If you don't mind me asking, but what are those? I've never heard of them before.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:34pm
post #45 of 58

Thanks everyone for contributing such a great variety of ideas! Now we only need to figure out a smooth production schedule!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:38pm
post #46 of 58

cake balls!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:12pm
post #47 of 58

LABELLAFLOR,

How do you make your homemade turtles? I made some but...something wasn't quite right. It wasn't chewy..it was as though the caramel part was hard to bite through.

Thanks

LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:13pm
post #48 of 58

I'll PM ya.

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #49 of 58

OK, Thank you so much.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:16pm
post #50 of 58

oh boy.. this is full of great ideas.. I have to try the chocolate bark with the peppermint candy canes.. very cute!

CakesHeaven Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:53am
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKatCakes

If you don't mind me asking, but what are those? I've never heard of them before.

Sry LaBellaFlor, I've had a busy week so I couldn't check CC - not sure if they sell popcorn twists down in the states but Old Dutch is the company who makes them. Here is the recipe which was on the bag.
Caramel Popcorn Twists
Ingredients:
1 Bag of Old Dutch Popcorn Twists
1 Cup of Butter (Not Margarine)
1 1/4 Cups of Brown Sugar
2/3 Cup of Light Corn Syrup
1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 250°F.
Combine butter, brown sugar, and light corn syrup in a 2 quart sauce pan.
Cook on medium heat until mixture has melted.
Once mixture has melted add the baking soda. (Note: This will cause the mixture to foam)
In a large roaster pan pour Old Dutch Puffcorn and pour caramel mixture over the Old Dutch Puffcorn and stir until mixed.
Place in oven for 45 minutes, stirring at least every 10-15 minutes.
Remove from oven, pour on wax paper and break apart.
Let cool and ENJOY!

Recipe Variations:

For a scrumptious addition to this already delicious recipe drizzle melted chocolate over the mixture after you remove it from the oven!

The kids and adults all loved it, they went missing almost faster then I can get them into bags.

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:55am
post #52 of 58

icon_cry.gif I still don't kniw what that is! icon_cry.gif The recipe sounds really good, but could you describe what popcorn twist may look like.

CakesHeaven Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:18am
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

icon_cry.gif I still don't kniw what that is! icon_cry.gif The recipe sounds really good, but could you describe what popcorn twist may look like.

humm..it's hard to explain, they are the white part of the popcorn made into string twist shaped pieces - not Kernal or hard shell, just white fluff(not sure if that helped...so I checked the Old Dutch web site and they are simular to your Puffcorn - they just call it different up here) icon_cool.gif Hope that helps.

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:24am
post #54 of 58

Man! I wish we had something like that! I don't really eat popcorn, cause it takes me a long time. I sit there and cut off all the hard kernal pieces first. That sounds so delcious and would so be for me. Ahhhh...

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:56pm
post #55 of 58

I am getting in on this thread! Lots of great ideas!

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm
post #56 of 58

Theres also the "Who wants to join me in my Cristmas basket project" thread. Same people, just motivating each other to get a schedule & recipes are now getting exchanged. Too bad we didn't get just one thread going! icon_biggrin.gif

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:25pm
post #57 of 58

I've never heard of dipping Pringels in chocolate. Do you do it the same way as you dip others into chocolate ? Might have to try a few.

Also do you just use the original Pringle flavor ?

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:33am
post #58 of 58

I just received a voicemail from a gal who is looking to purchase some "Christmas Baskets" for some of their construction customers. I have never made these, and hope to act fast!!! I haven't had a chance to read through the 13 page thread yet, but if anyone could please tell me approximately what do you charge for these baskets, and what would it include? I know it will vary. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%