The Cake Wheel

Decorating By sweetbaker1019 Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 4:54pm by sweetbaker1019

sweetbaker1019 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 19

hey guys! so i was looking on you tube and this video came up and this lady came up with this product called the cake wheel and it looks great. tell me what you think! i looked on her web site and its really expensive! has anyone bought this??

heres the links

http://www.cakewheel.com/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3pGPSsoxD8

Take a look!!!!

18 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 19

That is pretty cool. Kind of like using an inverted cake pan with a smaller diameter than the cake you are decorating. On a turntable. Neat.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 19

Nice, but really pricey!

sweetbaker1019 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 19

yeah its really pricey i dont know if i would be willing to spend that much! and i would think when you are covering the cake with fondant that it would drag down on the top and create tears in the fondant but i guess when she cuts the extra fondant it prevents that? lol i dont know

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaker1019

yeah its really pricey i dont know if i would be willing to spend that much! and i would think when you are covering the cake with fondant that it would drag down on the top and create tears in the fondant but i guess when she cuts the extra fondant it prevents that? lol i dont know

icon_lol.gif You don't have to spend that much. Most of us use a coffee can, or like I mentioned previously, a smaller cake pan inverted on a turntable. Easy peasy....and FREE! icon_lol.gif

sweetbaker1019 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 19

thats a great idea Jamie!!!! lol and the best part about it is that its free lol! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:

thats a great idea Jamie!!!! lol and the best part about it is that its free lol! icon_smile.gif

Heh heh....wasn't trying to burst the bubble on your discovery, OR put down her invention. I'm sure it is fantastic and much smoother to use, but I can't see myself investing in it anytime soon when my method is quite satisfactory. icon_wink.gif

kjskid Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 19

icon_surprised.gif Are they made of marble? Holy price, batman!

KHalstead Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 19

I always just stick one of my cake dummies that's a couple inches smaller under my cake when covering in fondant, never even thought of "buying" something to use for that lol

sullymel13 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 19

not a bad idea, but I am more interested in the blue mat she was using. Anybody know where I can find one of those??

*edited to add - nevermind, those are on her website too. Also pricey. anybody have a cheaper alternative?

sweetbaker1019 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:07am
post #11 of 19

Jamie- its ok you didnt burst my bubble! lol and im the same way i dont have that kind of money to spend on something like that and seriously who would sell it for almost $300 bucks thats ridiculous! lol

KHalstead- i know! i never even thought of someone inventing that let alone selling it for so much

sullymel13- i was thinking a silpat mat they sell then in large sizes. but when i was in pastry school we had a blue mat like that but it alot smaller but i dont know where they got it maybe online somewhere. but $36 bucks isnt that much for that big of a mat now that i think about it silpat mats are a little more expensive lol

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:23am
post #12 of 19
Quote:

It doesn't tear. It's the best way I've found to keep from getting pleats at the bottom of the cake.

It looks like an interesting invention. I'd probably pay about $40 for it because it might be less tippy than the "upside down smaller size cake pan on top of the turntable system" which I usually use icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif but not more than that.

I had to laugh though because most of the cake pictures on that website had ribbon or borders around the base of each tier...the whole point of using a smaller than the cake turntable would be to get the bottom edge nice, so you didn't have to cover it up with ribbon or borders.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:33am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

It doesn't tear. It's the best way I've found to keep from getting pleats at the bottom of the cake.

It looks like an interesting invention. I'd probably pay about $40 for it because it might be less tippy than the "upside down smaller size cake pan on top of the turntable system" which I usually use icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif but not more than that.

I had to laugh though because most of the cake pictures on that website had ribbon or borders around the base of each tier...the whole point of using a smaller than the cake turntable would be to get the bottom edge nice, so you didn't have to cover it up with ribbon or borders.

icon_lol.gif That's the FIRST thing I noticed too! Why is the cake on the front page NOT advertising it's perfectly perfect edges?? Hmmmm?? icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:42am
post #14 of 19

icon_confused.gif WOAH, that suckers expensive! Yeah, I'll go with Jamie's method.

Bunsen Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:10am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymel13

not a bad idea, but I am more interested in the blue mat she was using. Anybody know where I can find one of those??

*edited to add - nevermind, those are on her website too. Also pricey. anybody have a cheaper alternative?

Haven't tried it yet myself but I know some people use a sheet of vinyl - costs a couple of dollars from a fabric shop.

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:24am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymel13

Haven't tried it yet myself but I know some people use a sheet of vinyl - costs a couple of dollars from a fabric shop.

I use the vinyl and am pleased with it.

grandmom Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:42am
post #17 of 19

I used vinyl for the first time on my last cake and I was pleased with it as well. Dirt cheap, too.

lecrn Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:14pm
post #18 of 19

Thank you so much for posting this! I don't work with fondant very much, but when I do, I always get that stupid pleat along the bottom edge of the cake. I never thought of elevating the cake (duh!).
I would never buy this product bc of the price, but I'm sure that a smaller cake pan or coffee can would work great as stated previously.
I have the silicone mat & love it.

sweetbaker1019 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:54pm
post #19 of 19

i am going to have to try the vinyl where can i get it??

lecrn- your welcome!!!! lol i know! i couldnt believe i never thought of it before then i saw this thing on you tube and it was so expensive!!! but i will definetly use another cake pan to keep it elevated icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%