Am I The Only One Who Hasn't Started Using Fondant?

Decorating By CakeThing Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm by cookiesnspiders

CakeThing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeThing Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 10

I just started my cake business....well I don't really call it a business...just something I do for fun. And I am only doing buttercream frosted cakes. I have never touched, tasted or worked with fondant. It is pretty pricey so I haven't even bothered. But it seems like all the cakes out there are only fondant now.
Anyone else strictly do buttercream??

Thanks
Keri

www.facebook.com/itsacakething

9 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 10

I don't use fondant, but then, I don't use buttercream all that well, either!! icon_redface.gif

However, there are LOTS of great BC decorators on this site. I don't want to start naming names in case I leave someone out, but just keep looking at the daily uploaded photos, and you'll come across a lot of BC masterpieces!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 10

There are a lot of us out here that are mainly working with buttercream, I rarely do a fondant cake although i often make decorations out of fondant. I think its a good medium to learn but not necessary

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 10

Hi Keri.....yes there are still people out there who just do fondant. Me for one. I will use fondant as accents on my cakes but I prefer BC over fondant anyday. That's not to say that fondant isn't great it's just my personal preference. So far I've been lucky with my orders and have not had anyone ask for a fondant cake.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 10

If you make your own fondant, it is not pricey at all. Try MFF, recipe here on cc

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 10

I prefer buttercream also. I think it takes less time and it tastes better. I would have to charge higher prices if I used fondant and in my area I don't think it would sell.

I use Wilton's buttercream recipe made with real butter and I know that's what sells my cakes!

Go,buttercream, go!!!

thumbs_up.gif

kscater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kscater Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 10

No you are not the only one. I don't cover my cakes in fondant. I do use it to decorate though. It's really fun to play with and you can do so much with it. I live in a rural area and I've been to two children's birthday parties where there was fondant on the cake (other than my own kids). At both I heard comments like "WHAT is that? Am I supposed to eat it?" or "Hey, is that that fondue stuff?". I'm not sure if anyone actually tasted it. So I don't really think there is a demand for it here but I still like to play around with it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 10

I was a 30 year BC only gal until I came into contact with these evil CC people icon_rolleyes.gif who convinced me to try working with fondant. I couldn't believe how much fun it was and how EASY it was. It's almost sinful that we charge more for fondant becuase it's not near the work that everyone made me think it was. I'm pretty good and darn fast at BC .... but can slap a fondant cake together in no time at all. And I haven't even done that many! icon_biggrin.gif

So while you prefer BC and that's ok ... there are LOTS of commercial bakeries who advertise that they do BC only ..... but I encourage you to at least play with fondant and get a feel for it. It's fun to work with. Really.

When I first came to CC, I read all the fondant threads, even tho' in my little pea-brained head, I just KNEW I'd never need to know this stuff. But I think that's why it came so easy .... just by reading about everyone's experiences with it, I learned a lot by accident. icon_biggrin.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 10

Oh, yes, there are buttercream decorators out here. It is a whole different form of decorating, in my opinion. I love it because you just have you and a bowl of icing and maybe 4 or 5 decorating tips. You put yourself in deco mode and squeeze, twist, push and pull that decorating bag until you have created just what you had visioned in your head..........and you are finished in 10 or 15 minutes with a cake which can be sliced, eaten, and enjoyed. No cutters, wires, days of drying, for something which has to be removed from the cake to serve it.

You can add me to that list of die-hard-buttercream-fans.

cookiesnspiders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesnspiders Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 10

I have used fondant and decided never to again lol I just dont like the taste of it. Im not good with decorating with it either icon_cry.gif my friend Tommy is and he made my cakes look fantastic HOWEVER everyone kept telling me that the fondant kept ruining my great tasting cakes so therefore I shall not work with them. Frosting for me icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%