We've All Seen It But...

Decorating By SimplyIced Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 1:22pm by KHalstead

SimplyIced Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 29

Ok- any advice on how to do this cake? It doesn't have to be exact, but I have a bride wanting it. I'd rather not stencil, but if there is a stencil similar to this, I guess I'll have to. Also- she wants it on a square cake, which I'm not sure will look the greatest with this pattern? Anyways, if I need to get some cutters, I need to plan for that. ANY advice is much appreciated! THANKS!!!

28 replies
SimplyIced Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 29

Duh..I forgot to add the picture icon_eek.gif
LL

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 29

Are you still adding the link or picture?

Angelfire3 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyIced

Ok- any advice on how to do this cake? It doesn't have to be exact, but I have a bride wanting it. I'd rather not stencil, but if there is a stencil similar to this, I guess I'll have to. Also- she wants it on a square cake, which I'm not sure will look the greatest with this pattern? Anyways, if I need to get some cutters, I need to plan for that. ANY advice is much appreciated! THANKS!!!




What cake? I don't see anything (i.e link or photo).

ETA: I see it now. That cake is gorgeous. I was reading in my cake book about that and what they did was print of a picture with a design, take a needle/something pointy and trace the photo on the cake then filling in afterward. Am I making sense?

SimplyIced Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 29

Hopefully you can see it now. I left my brain at home today. icon_lol.gif

JGMB Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 29

Here's the link to a square one that was just in a thread today. It's gorgeous as a square, and she used black royal icing and a stencil:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1509427

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 29

Interesting. I recently did a black on white from a beautiful cake I found on here.

Now for tomorrow I have a similar one to do with this as the inspriation. Must be a huge trend for me to get two in a row.
Don't laugh at me if I'm behind the times.

Image

So its fondant covered and I think I'm gonna just pipe it and flatten it out so no piping lines show.

The first one I did I cut out fondant but it was just like one big flower pattern that spilled over two tiers. The original cake is just breath taking.

SimplyIced Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 29

I solved my own problem. It's a stencil- flower explosioin on designer stencils. Apparently this picture was cut out by hand in fondant or gum paste. WOW! Not sure I want to tackle that. I wonder how it would look on a square cake?

KHalstead Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 29

you can cut fondant and gumpaste just like that with a cricut...wonder if it was TRULY "hand" cut...or just "individually" cut lol

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyIced

I solved my own problem. It's a stencil- flower explosioin on designer stencils. Apparently this picture was cut out by hand in fondant or gum paste. WOW! Not sure I want to tackle that. I wonder how it would look on a square cake?




I actually spoke to the person who did that very cake you posted. She hand cut each and every one of those designs. And if I remember correctly, she did not use that stencil. So, I assume either that stencil company designed the stencil based on her original design...or something else. I forget exactly. Either way, here's mine from using that same stencil. Gotta go edit the pic. Be right back. icon_smile.gif

And I used black piping gel for a super shiny effect!

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 29

Here she is.
LL

Callyssa Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:12pm
post #12 of 29

Just wanted to add; I did a wedding cake with stencils but used bc (sam's club, black but-r-creme) instead of RI over fondant, and when it dried it looked exactly like black velvet. I know originally you'd said you didn't want to use a stencil, but that was the easiest and fastest part of the entire cake! I didn't get one smear, run, or mistake (at least not with the bc!) , and I did it on a square cake. Different stencil (you can see the cake in my photos), but the same effect, and it looked great on square. I think this design would look beautiful on whatever you did it on.

susanscakecreations Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Interesting. I recently did a black on white from a beautiful cake I found on here.

Now for tomorrow I have a similar one to do with this as the inspriation. Must be a huge trend for me to get two in a row.
Don't laugh at me if I'm behind the times.

Image

So its fondant covered and I think I'm gonna just pipe it and flatten it out so no piping lines show.

The first one I did I cut out fondant but it was just like one big flower pattern that spilled over two tiers. The original cake is just breath taking.




That is a GORGEOUS pattern! I can't wait to see your cake!

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:37pm
post #14 of 29

I don't wanna steal the post, but I have a question concerning this type of design.
Martha's Book has a brown an ivory one, she traced the design on wax paper with chocolate...anyone ever try it this way?
I have done baby feet an a few other logos this way, but nothing so detailed.

Thanks

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:39pm
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie-Bug

I don't wanna steal the post, but I have a question concerning this type of design.
Martha's Book has a brown an ivory one, she traced the design on wax paper with chocolate...anyone ever try it this way?
I have done baby feet an a few other logos this way, but nothing so detailed.

Thanks




Yep. It doesn't allow for the fine points and smaller details however, and can be lumpy looking if you don't work quickly.

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:44pm
post #16 of 29

Ok, makes sense...Now do I need to do a mixture of fondant an gumpaste? Also, there is no money for a circuit in my budget so do you let it try some before cutting or picking it up?

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:46pm
post #17 of 29

You are going to hand cut them? I would definitely use a 50/50 mix, OR let the fondant dry for a bit actually let either method dry for a bit. And use brand new sharp blades. I have a couple of the Cricut spatula tools, that you can slide under the pieces to pick them up without denting the edges. Works pretty well!

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:49pm
post #18 of 29

I don't think I have any other option...do I?

thanks for the help!

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:53pm
post #19 of 29

Do you not want to stencil? That stencil set is available at designerstencils.com, and you can do it a million ways.

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:18pm
post #20 of 29

I haven't ever tried the stencils. I don't know how they'd work with my frosting. It's a cream cheese frosting, it doesn't crust real hard.

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #21 of 29

I wouldn't try it with cream cheese frosting. You need something that crusts if you aren't doing fondant.

JGMB Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm
post #22 of 29

The Decorator's Cream Cheese Frosting on this site crusts very nicely.

rc4642 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:47pm
post #23 of 29

so what do you use to attach it to the fondant??

Callyssa Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:13pm
post #24 of 29

if you're using RI or BC it attaches itself when you spread it over the stencil (that you are holding in place on the side of the cake), then you just peel off the stencil, and the beautiful pattern is all that's left. It's so simple, but it amazes me!

Loucinda Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:46pm
post #25 of 29

I like using a palette (artists) knife for picking up pieces of fondant or gumpaste - it is even a finer edge than the cricut tools are - about the same price, if I remember right.

Do you have the time to try it both ways (stencil and cutting)? That way you could see which one you like the best.

I am interested in this thread, I have a cake on the books for next year with about the same pattern. Let us know what you do and how it works out. Good luck!

lorijom Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:23am
post #26 of 29

I hand cut each piece for this cake using gumpaste not 50/50 because I knew on a square it could be dried out flat. Also, you can't see it in this view, but the pieces actually were higher than each side so they had to be very rigid.

I love to stencil cakes and this gives a very different look. I would recommend you try each to see the difference and determine your preference.
LL

HamSquad Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:21am
post #27 of 29

icon_redface.gif Ok, if the pieces were to be cut out, do you need to use a gumglue to attach the pieces to the sides of a fondant cake? Lets say the cake is BC and you cut out the pieces with fondant with a little tylose for a stiffer piece, what would you use to attach the pieces on the cake so that it would not slide off or tear up the frosting? I have been wanting to know this for a long time. Really curious, hope to attempt your wonderful technique some day. TIA
Hammy

sugarshack Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 7:03am
post #28 of 29

water, piping gel would work fine

KHalstead Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:22pm
post #29 of 29

I really think you should try the stencil, some people find it sooooooooooooo easy to use!!! Besides, just because you're icing the cake with cream cheese icing doesn't mean the stencil has to be done with cream cheese icing. I mean is anyone REALLY going to notice that the stenciled part is regular bc and the rest is cc bc? I doubt it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%