How Much Icing Between Layers???

Decorating By Rach80 Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 6:08pm by vagostino

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all, I'm new around here and I have a question. I seem to always have issues with my icing between the layers. I always think that there's enough but when I cut into the final cake there is only a thin layer. How can I keep a decent amount of icing between the payers without it spilling out?

Thanks!

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 6

When I pipe a dam, I use an icing bag with a coupler but no tip. Pipe a ring of icing around the cake, setting the ring of icing about 1/4" to 3/8" inside the edge of the cake. Then add the filling to not quite the top of the dam.

If you like more filling, you might try torting your cakes. You'll use less filling per layer but you'll have 3 layers of filling.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 6

Glad you asked because I think all those pictures in the magazines are misleading, at least for cakes that are supposed to be stacked!
Like the picture of the front of confetti cakes...really? that much icing? unless is pure chocolate or a very heavy ganache I don;t know how can anyone fill those layers without the cake sliding all over!

I rather tort my cakes multiple times to get a lot of frosting than having too much in one layer.

Rach80 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 6

Perfect Thank you! I'm still pretty new to this and learning a lot as I go. My Grandma made beautiful cakes and she taught me a lot, but I want to learn more! She never did fondont either, so I'm trying to learn this on my own to.... I have SO many questions and I'm thanking my lucky stars that I found this AMAZING site!!!

Thank you!

Rach80 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 6

I don't mean to sound dumn... but what does it mean to "Torte" a cake? I've never heard this term..

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 6

when you cut your baked layer in the middle so then you have two. Like if you bake 2 round layers and then "tort" them, you'll end up with 4 layers of cake and 3 of frosting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%