How Do I Doctor Box Mix To Make More Dense?

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 2 May 2016 , 8:56am by cakebaby2

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 33

I am using DH moist white (and BC super moist chocolate fudge). The DH white calls for 3 egg whites, 2 tbsp. oil and 1 1/3 c. water. The chocolate fudge calls for 3 eggs, 1/2 oil and 1 1/3 c. water.

What should I do to either or both of these to make sure I have a denser, air-bubble-free cake ideal for carving but still moist and delicious?

Thanks!

32 replies
TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 33

You can use an extra egg and add a small box of Jello instant pudding and pie filling mix in vanilla.

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 33

This is what I do for my cakes...always moist, delicious AND sturdy.

Add an extra egg, small box of pudding, double the oil called for, and 1C of liquid.

If you want a white cake, you will need to use cheesecake or white chocolate pudding mix.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 33

I'll agree that adding the egg/pudding makes the cake more dense, but I'd do a serious taste test before totally changing your recipe. My husband's co-workers are my official taste testers. I did one of these egg/pudding cakes once and sent it in. The feedback I got was "I dont' what she did to ruin her cakes but tell her dont' EVER do it again." They absolutely hated it.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 33

Can I butt in here...

I just tried Pillsbury's Golden Butter mix (w/ 1 cup of pudding already added in)...I really liked the flavor, but would like to dense it up.

How would I? The add-ins are 1c. of water, 3 eggs, 1/3 c. softened butter.

indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Can I butt in here...

I just tried Pillsbury's Golden Butter mix (w/ 1 cup of pudding already added in)...I really liked the flavor, but would like to dense it up.

How would I? The add-ins are 1c. of water, 3 eggs, 1/3 c. softened butter.

You must have missed this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPACakeGirl

You can use an extra egg and add a small box of Jello instant pudding and pie filling mix in vanilla.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 33

I am a Duncan Hines girl, and this is the doctored recipe that I use. It is always moist, but produces a more dense crumb that holds up well to decorating.

1 box DH mix
4 large eggs
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon vanilla

Blend everything together then beat on meduim speed for 3-4 minutes
Fill cake pans 2/3 full

If I need a perfectly white cake, I use 1 whole egg, and 3 whites

HTH icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 33

Search the recipe file for the Enhanced Mix Recipe. I use it a lot. It may very well be what the others are talking about, but you can easily print it out from the site. I've always been happy with the results.

FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 33

Didn't miss it, but didn't think adding pudding would be advised for a mix that already contained it.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 33

I start all my cakes with a mix, follow the instructions for the water and oil and add the following (does'nt matter what flavor)
-1 cup flour (for choco cake I use 3/4 flour and 1/4 cocoa powder)
-1 cup sugar
-1 extra egg or egg white for white cake
-1 4oz box of instant pudding
-1 cup sour cream or yogurt (I use flovered yogurt for my lemon, strawberry, vanilla and cherry cake)

-for the liquid you can sub water for chocolate milk, coffee, coffee creamer, milk, frozen lemonade etc to get different flavors. And for my Yellow butter cake I use melted butter instead of oil.

It produces a super moist and dense cake perfect for stacking and carving and the flavor combos are limitless.
It's basically the WASC cake recipe with pudding added.

To get rid of the air bubbles give your pans a few taps on the counter before you put them in the oven, you will see the air bubbles rise to the top of the batter and pop.

osman1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osman1989 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 33

When I was taking the Wilton courses my instructor told us to cut the oil amount in half and take out 2 Tbs of the water requirement. She also said to tap the pan on the counter a couple of times to take out some of the air bubbles. Since I started doing my cakes this way I always have a very dense cake that isn't dried out. I've tried it on all different brands of cake mixes and haven't had any problems.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 33
Quote:

Didn't miss it, but didn't think adding pudding would be advised for a mix that already contained it.

I have a cake mix recipe book that says do not add pudding to a cake mix that already has it in but I do it all the time and have'nt had a problem yet.
So I say go for it, a little puddin never hurt anyone icon_lol.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:42pm
post #13 of 33

Here's a thread that contains a pretty comprehensive list of all the doctored/enhanced cake mix recipes:
(As well as thread that details just about all the "extra" ingredients that can be added to cake mix.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-659228-.html

HTH

FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:54pm
post #14 of 33

Thanks ..I'll give it a try!

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:14pm
post #15 of 33

Can I add a total different outlook to this???
I use the WASC recipe on this site and THEN right after it is baked I take it out of the oven and place a clean towel over top and press the cake down. I let it cool 10 min then flop it out and wrap it in seran wrap. There is no need to level because the cake will be perfectly level and it also makes the cake dense and air bubble free. Great for carving!

What do you experts think of this? icon_smile.gif

edited to say: Great pic indydebi icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:19am
post #16 of 33
Quote:

I asked a co-worker what cake mix she used once. She said, "The one wiht the pudding in it." I said, "Dont' they ALL have pudding in them anymore?" icon_lol.gif

If the cake mix you're using ...... with pudding ..... isnt' dense enough, why not add a package of pudding and the extra egg? A cake mix has flour in it but the doctored mix recipes I've seen add flour to it.

I tend to be a "why not?" type of person. I rarely think along the lines of "can I?" but more along the lines of "why not?" thumbs_up.gif

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:32am
post #17 of 33

With so many suggestions you just have to experiment and find one way you like best.

When I want a denser cake I add a box of pudding and and extra egg. It cuts very clean with almost no crumbs.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:40am
post #18 of 33

I like WASC versions, my go to base recipe for most cakes. Check the gourmet flavors thread for many many ideas. You can add 4 oz melted white or dark choc for each box of mix used to WASC to make it even more durable.

Edited to add: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554-gourmet.html+flavors

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:58am
post #19 of 33

I agree with the extra box of pudding, but I also use sour cream too, which makes cakes very dense (and delicious!) icon_biggrin.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:58am
post #20 of 33

WOW! Thank you all for such great suggestions! I don't know what I am going to try! Well, my test cake will have many many layers, so maybe I'll try a FEW and see which one comes out the best!

Now. . . as for how to keep track of which layers are which! icon_rolleyes.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:30pm
post #21 of 33

I actually tried something else today--I mixed a pound cake box mix with a regular super moist mix, adding all the ingredients called for together. It looks marvelous!

I won't be able to comment on taste until I complete the whole cake, which will be at least a few days.

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:06pm
post #22 of 33

I actually Googled this about a year ago and found a great recipe. I have been using it ever since with rave reviews.
Add to the cake mix, ALONG WITH THE INGREDIENTS ON THE BOX:
1 cup of flour
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
an extra 2/3 cup of water.

I put the mix in the bowl and add the flour, sugar and baking powder. Then I add the water and oil called for on the box and mix for 10 seconds until it is wet. Then I mix in the stick of softened butter. (I stick it in the microwave for 10 sec. if it is hard.) Then mix in the eggs, 1 at a time, whatever amount is called for on the box. Then I slowly add the 2/3 cup of water and beat for about 2 minutes.
It does take longer to cook, at least an extra 10 minutes.
This has worked great for me and has held up very well with the stacked cakes and fondant covered cakes I do.
Good luck!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:47pm
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

I use the WASC recipe on this site and THEN right after it is baked I take it out of the oven and place a clean towel over top and press the cake down. I let it cool 10 min then flop it out and wrap it in seran wrap. There is no need to level because the cake will be perfectly level and it also makes the cake dense and air bubble free. Great for carving!

I squash my cakes too!! does this really make a cake more dense? I "seem" to think so, but its something I happened upon in the first few days of researching cake decorating so maybe I just "think" it does cuz someone who has more experience said it did? I definately will try the pudding and extra egg.

Another question...I thought I read somewhere that if you add a little less oil to a cake mix that it would make it more dense, but when I tried this on my last cake, it just basically crumbled when trying to ice it...it was moist, I could squish it together and it would hold, but it was crumbly...so should I not subtract oil from a recipe? was that my error?

TIA for all your advice

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:08pm
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

I squash my cakes too!! does this really make a cake more dense? I "seem" to think so, but its something I happened upon in the first few days of researching cake decorating so maybe I just "think" it does cuz someone who has more experience said it did? I definately will try the pudding and extra egg.

Another question...I thought I read somewhere that if you add a little less oil to a cake mix that it would make it more dense, but when I tried this on my last cake, it just basically crumbled when trying to ice it...it was moist, I could squish it together and it would hold, but it was crumbly...so should I not subtract oil from a recipe? was that my error?

TIA for all your advice

Well I definitely think it makes it more dense...almost like a pound cake in my opinion. By squishing it down it is taking all the air bubbles out of the cake creating it to be more dense.
Now I'm not professional so any professional reading this correct me if I'm wrong icon_razz.gif
I would never omit the oil in my cake recipe! There is less oil in the WASC recipe compared to what it says on the box though.
I love following the WASC recipe, it's a big rave here in my town icon_lol.gif

green-eyed1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
green-eyed1 Posted 23 Sep 2015 , 5:59pm
post #25 of 33

My favorite cake is Pineapple Upside Down cake. I just made one and it wasn't moist enough for my liking. I will try the extra egg, pudding mix, and using butter instead of oil next time - might even try the sour cream instead of water. BUT . . . some of you suggested adding a cup of sugar and flour to the mix . . . won't that create TOO MUCH batter and cause cakes to overflow creating a big burned smokey mess on the bottom of the oven? I have had this happen before.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 23 Sep 2015 , 6:14pm
post #26 of 33

@green-eyed1  Just measure your batter, then it won't be too much in the pan. The sugar and flour additions are part of extender recipes, so supposed to be more batter at the end. See this chart for how much batter to put in your pans: Cake Baking and Serving Guide

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 23 Sep 2015 , 9:01pm
post #27 of 33

I normally use Betty Crocker (which has pudding), and add an extra egg, and a squirt of real vanilla, and use 2/3 to 3/4 the amount of oil recommended.  I've done carved cakes with it.  I also drop the filled pan on the counter several times, until the larger air bubbles come to the surface and pop.

green-eyed1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
green-eyed1 Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 1:43am
post #28 of 33

Thanks for the link :) and tips

*Last edited by green-eyed1 on 24 Sep 2015 , 1:44am
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 2:54pm
post #29 of 33

Sharon Zambito just published a great blog post about doctoring cakes on her www.SugarEdProductions.com webiste.  Visit her page and click on Blog at the top...it's a couple posts down.

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 3:09pm
post #30 of 33

I started using a cake extender recipe and have actually been told my cake is too dense.  I've modified it a bit over time for a less dense cake but still use the recipe for my Rich & Dense chocolate cake.

1 box mix ( I prefer Betty Crocker )

1C flour

1C sugar

1 1/C water (mostly strong coffee for chocolate cake)

3 eggs

1/4 C oil

1 small Box chocolate PUdding  (Vanilla for Vanilla cake)

1C sour Cream (vanilla greek yogurt for Vanilla cake)

This recipe can easily be doubled but as it is I can get 1 8x3 cake and a 6x3 cake out of it.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%