Edible Icing Image Help

Decorating By momtofourmonkeys Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm by amysue99

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 5

I am working on a movie reel cake. I have lightly iced the cakes and planned on using the EI (film strip w/ pictures printed out) and place that onto fondant then wrap around the cake.

Now I am beginning to second guess myself. Will the EI work on fondant or should I use more bc to finish out the cakes and place the EI directly on the bc, which I do know works great for EIs? The only thing that makes me nervous about placing directly on the bc is wrapping the EI around a round cake without messing up the image while positioning it. Placing it on flat fondant on the counter then raising and wrapping around the cake seems a little safer. The EIs film strips will only be 2" tall.

Another quick question - Should I freeze the EI before cutting the film strips out and would I cut with my exacto?

Thanks for any help! On my way to print them out now at Wal-Mart.

4 replies
amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 5

You can definitely put it on fondant. However, I would fondant the cake, and then wrap the EI on. It won't mess up the image to wrap it around something round. The EI is very flexible. DO NOT freeze it before cutting - it will become brittle and break. Just use your exacto or scissors and cut it out while at room temperature.

Here is what I would do:
1. fondant your cake
2. Cut your image to the size that you need
3. Put a thin coat of clear piping gel on the fondant that will be covered by the EI
4. Put on your EI starting at the middle and smoothing outward.

HTH!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 5

Some EIs can be frozen and others not. Depends on the brand. Luck's are FAR superior to other brands as I have recently discovered.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:32am
post #4 of 5

Thank you Leah and Amysue for your help! I did not freeze or even refrigerate the icing sheets. They were much easier to use than I had imagined they would be. I was also happy with the end product! It was hit at my aunt's party. Here is the link to the cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1517740

Thanks again for the help!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 5

That looks awesome! Glad i could be of some help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%