Question About Edible Ink & Refilling Cartridges

Decorating By dessert1st Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 5:03am by EdibleSupply-Com

dessert1st Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 7

I purchased an Epson cx8400 printer because I got a great deal and I wanted to try my first Edible Images. I found a source for the refillable cartridges and planned to purchase Edible Ink from Kopykake . Would you recommend this for a beginner with no experience what-so-ever, or am I asking for a migraine?! *OR*, should I just pay Kopykake the extra $30 for the already filled cartridges?

Fill my own cartridges - or - don't even go there?
Any tips to make the ink last longer?
Store it in the printer or not?

I am hesitating because I only do this a as hobby and am not really sure how long the ink will last or how addicting it will be once I start using it for my holiday baking and really don't know what I'm getting in to!
Thanks!

6 replies
tiggy2 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 7

I refill my own cartridges and it's very easy. After the initial fill I don't even have to take them out of the printer. Did the cartridges come with filling instructions? I leave mine in the printer but I try to print something at least once a week even if it's just on paper.

ddaigle Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 7

I have a printer and cartridges from KopyKake. I do not print images up often at all. The ink cartridges have been stored in my printer for almost a year. The images still print out good. I don't know how taking the cartridges out will make them last any longer, so I just leave them in the printer and cover with printer with a sheet. I haven't had to refill yet, so I'm not sure which route I will go, as far as refilling or not. I don't use my image printer too often, but I got it for $60 at Office Depot and am glad I have it.

dessert1st Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks ladies! Anyone else have an opinion... fill my own or not?

Mark-Mexicano Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 7

Hi, I have had a bad experience with filling cartridges for some reason every time I have to print and image I have to prime it like 5 times and the colors are still a lil off so it uses soooooooo much ink. I am just going to order some filled cartridges cause the other way is just to much of a hassle.... sorry I didnt have a good experience but I know a lot of people who have. Mark Mexicano

icingimages Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:20am
post #6 of 7

I do not currently use epsons. But as far as refilling, a lot is dependant on preference. It is a big money saver, but some people are not good at it and get ink everywhere. Did the epson come with refill instructions? Even if you choose not to refill, I do recommend that you keep a set of refills for emergencies, or keep an extra set of cartridges on the shelf...just in case you run out of ink.

I also do recomend printing regularly, at least once per week to avoid problems.

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:03am
post #7 of 7

We do have Epson refillabe cartridges for Epson printer. Our refillable cartridges are so easy to refill(From the Top) and same as our refill kit. You can check with our web site and let me know if you have any question regarding our refillable cartridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%