How Would I Store 50Lbs Of Shortening!!?

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 2:01am by lrlt2000

lrlt2000 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 8

I found one local food company that sells Super Hymo cake and icing shortening (I'm assuming it's high ratio, but the rep on the phone couldn't tell me for sure).

BUT they sell it in 50lbs cubes!!! I do not make cakes regularly, so how would I save such a large amount?

Also, is all "Super Hymo" brand cake & icing shortening high ratio? Can I assume it is?

7 replies
Jenn2179 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 8

I store mine in a large food safe container that I got at the restaurant supply store here. I buy the Super Hymo shortening for cakes, icing, and sweet doughs so I am going to assume that is what they have and mine is hi-ratio.

cupcakemkr Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 8

I saved my Satin Ice 20# buckets and store icing and my shortening in them.

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 8

I went to the Dollar Store and bought 16oz. containers--3 for a $1. I weighed out 14 ounces (the weight of 2 cups of hi ratio) and put it in each container using a large ice cream scoop and wrapping each in some wax paper.

I store them all in a large plastic storage bin and take 1 or 2 out at a time.

Yes, it's a bit of overkill, but it really keeps the shortening fresh--pretty much like the way the bars of Crisco are packaged--and I have it say that it keeps for a super long time this way.

I wash the containers and put the empties back in the larger bin so that I can repeat it again when I get another 50# brick (I get Sweetex).

HTH
Rae

tbittner Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 8

You can also freeze it. I portioned mine into freezer bags ( 1 bag =1 recipe of frosting) and put the bags into a large bucket in my chest freezer. I thaw as needed and just throw out my bag after taking my thawed shortening out.

I had great results doing this.
Tracy

Kitagrl Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:29am
post #6 of 8

I keep my Sweetex in the bag in the original box. I just keep it on a shelf and keep the bag and box closed when not in use.

G_Cakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:42am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

I saved my 20# buckets and store icing and my shortening in them.

LOL me too!

I keep them and always find a use for them.

I even make cookie dough and cake batter ahead of time and store them in the containers in portioned out ziplock bags. Then I just freeze the container and pull out what I need.

best way to do it saves so much time!

lrlt2000 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:01am
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%