Homemade Vs. Doctored Box Cake

Decorating By Tika35 Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm by chelleb1974

Tika35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tika35 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:23am
post #1 of 45

Would like to get some opinions and tips on both sides. Do you prefer the taste of a cake from scratch or a doctored up box cake? Why? I have tried both and have ended up with good and bad results on both sides.

44 replies
uclag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uclag Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:40am
post #2 of 45

I like cakes from scratch. Using my Kitchenaid mixer it takes about the same time. I find the flavor and texture is better, especially if you're trying to carve a cake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:51am
post #4 of 45

I love a good, homemade scratch cake. You can't beat it. But that doesn't mean some cool fancy-flavored boxed cake can't be a really good dessert, too. They both have their uses.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 45

I use both. I've found with my customers and family that the Extended Cake Mix recipe here on CC is very popular. It's a pretty good tasting cake. That's pretty much the only doctored cake mix recipe I use. I've got a lot of scratch recipes that I love to make too.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 45

I use both. Each has their finer points.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 45

both extend the girth in my bottom equally.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 45

Good cake is good cake.

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 45

There should be a disclaimer on the front page of Cake Central about box v scratch, and below that, links to the grillions of threads on the subject. icon_lol.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 45

What if I DR my box mix at home? Isn't that homemade?

icon_biggrin.gif Mike

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 45

I've worked in several restaurants over the years. I have been told that if you add anything to a food item you can call it homemade - such as adding milk to a soup bought from a distributor.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:03pm
post #12 of 45

Look, the way I see it.............if I use MY mixer at MY home and use MY eggs and MY flavorings, and if I happen to add a Duncan Hines/Betty Crocker mix...............
IT'S STILL HOMEMADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAKE IS CAKE PEOPLE!!!!! NO NEED FOR THE DRAMA!!!!!!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 45

Seriously? Good grief already.

icon_confused.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:28pm
post #14 of 45

I like me some WASC.

I was thinking the other night...has anyone ever had IMBC from a restaurant? I don't think I've ever come across it.

And do you think it could be mass-produced for restaurant use? icon_confused.gif I'd be interested in finding out if anywhere does it.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:41pm
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceConfections

There should be a disclaimer on the front page of Cake Central about box v scratch, and below that, links to the grillions of threads on the subject. icon_lol.gif

THIS!!!!!!!

and as someone else said "GOOD CAKE IS GOOD CAKE" period. end of story! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:52pm
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

I like me some WASC.

I was thinking the other night...has anyone ever had IMBC from a restaurant? I don't think I've ever come across it.

And do you think it could be mass-produced for restaurant use? icon_confused.gif I'd be interested in finding out if anywhere does it.

Fine dining would be using it I'm sure.

To the op~~ this subject comes up regularly and it can get really intense and some people carry the same level of intensity to a new thread before it's warranted so--don't mind it. I think it to be a legitimate question otherwise it wouldn't be posted so often.

To the rabble rousers and people who can't believe there's another thread on it~~chill. If you don't like it don't click here, if you wanna party go for it but explain yourself (your baggage) to the op. She might begin to think there's a stigma or something.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:54pm
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

What if I DR my box mix at home? Isn't that homemade?

icon_biggrin.gif Mike

I think it's homemade only if the architect drew it up in the original blueprints--not positive though.

icon_biggrin.gif Kate

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:55pm
post #18 of 45

I make scratch cakes and love them...a lot of people bake doctored mixes and love them. It only matters what those you are baking for think. If they love it, then it's all good icon_smile.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #19 of 45

okay, okay. sorry.

personally, i bake both "scratch" and doctored cake mixes.

i have an awesome yellow cake that i could eat by itself (without frosting) and that happens to be a scratch cake.

i have an amazing chocolate cake that everyone loves and that happens to be a doctored cake mix.

so, really, it's whatever you (and your customers/family/friends) prefer. there's no right or wrong answer. find what works for you and be damn proud about it! (i.e. if someone asks if your cakes are scratch or cake mixes, tell the truth. if they like it, they like it. if they don't, they don't.)

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:26pm
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

I've worked in several restaurants over the years. I have been told that if you add anything to a food item you can call it homemade - such as adding milk to a soup bought from a distributor.

This is also my understanding of what that lawyer told us in that other post.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I love a good, homemade scratch cake. You can't beat it. But that doesn't mean some cool fancy-flavored boxed cake can't be a really good dessert, too. They both have their uses.

My opinion too.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceConfections

You must be one of our cakers who opened a new account, or either you lerked around a long time before joining!

I thought the same thing when I saw the title....not again!! LOL

I like both ways, but people seem to rave if the doctored and they don't even know what it is!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:34pm
post #23 of 45

ugh. not this again! icon_cry.gif

Why are we getting a new thread a day about this? icon_confused.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #24 of 45

Do what makes you happy and you like. There are great recipes for both - and some great bakers out there that use BOTH. There is nothing wrong with asking the question, it is just that it usually gets very heated when debated!

(and I personally use mainly doctored mixes - and I am not ashamed of it! thumbs_up.gif )

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:37pm
post #25 of 45

When I was growing up, a "homemade" anything was something made by mom as opposed to buying it already made at the grocery.

So when mom tore open that box of Duncan Hines, added her 3 eggs, water and oil, poured it in a pan and baked it, then we had homemade cake.

If it tastes good, who cares how it got there? icon_confused.gif

I agree we need a disclaimer on the front page on this topic.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:51pm
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

ugh. not this again! icon_cry.gif

Why are we getting a new thread a day about this? icon_confused.gif

Truly not intending to have this sound snarky, and mean this only as a gentle reminder: if one would look more closely, one would realize that most who have asked lately are relatively new to CC. I doubt very seriously they know the exact "key" words to use to pull up old discussions on this topic (and thank you, Jan, for your usual graciousness in finding and listing exactly the right forums to post for the OP's benefit.)

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:07pm
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

I like me some WASC.

Fine dining would be using it I'm sure.

To the op~~ this subject comes up regularly and it can get really intense and some people carry the same level of intensity to a new thread before it's warranted so--don't mind it. I think it to be a legitimate question otherwise it wouldn't be posted so often.

To the rabble rousers and people who can't believe there's another thread on it~~chill. If you don't like it don't click here, if you wanna party go for it but explain yourself (your baggage) to the op. She might begin to think there's a stigma or something.

Totally agree and well said! i click on this topic, because there is ALWAYS something different. We don't have to choose to view any topic we don't want to discuss. Hence, I never choose the ones in Spanish, because it would do me NO good!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:24pm
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When I was growing up, a "homemade" anything was something made by mom as opposed to buying it already made at the grocery.

So when mom tore open that box of Duncan Hines, added her 3 eggs, water and oil, poured it in a pan and baked it, then we had homemade cake.

OMG this reminded me of something. Every Easter my Mom (who was 100% Portuguese) would spend Holy Week mixing up 25lbs of Portuguese Sweet Bread....mix it day 1 and let it rise....day 2 put 1lb of dough in each of 25 round bread pans to rise again.....day 3 (Good Friday) we'd wake up to the smell of fresh Portuguese Sweet bread baking in the oven....it was our breakfast. (she'd been up all night baking it in 2 ovens)

One of my sister's boyfriends at the time walked in the house and sat down to a hot slice with butter. He turned to my Mom and said Mrs. XXX this is "just as good as store bought".

I thought my Mom was going to kill him right there on Good Friday morning.....being the "holy" woman that she was she didn't, BUT he was NEVER my Mom's favorite BF.

Moral of the story, he was raised on "store bought" and in his mind "homemade" had to live up to that standard. Thankfully my sister didn't marry that one. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry to go off topic, but when you mentioned your Mom and "homemade" it reminded me of this.

Carry on..............

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:37am
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

OMG this reminded me of something. Every Easter my Mom (who was 100% Portuguese) would spend Holy Week mixing up 25lbs of Portuguese Sweet Bread....mix it day 1 and let it rise....day 2 put 1lb of dough in each of 25 round bread pans to rise again.....day 3 (Good Friday) we'd wake up to the smell of fresh Portuguese Sweet bread baking in the oven....it was our breakfast. (she'd been up all night baking it in 2 ovens)

One of my sister's boyfriends at the time walked in the house and sat down to a hot slice with butter. He turned to my Mom and said Mrs. XXX this is "just as good as store bought".

I thought my Mom was going to kill him right there on Good Friday morning.....being the "holy" woman that she was she didn't, BUT he was NEVER my Mom's favorite BF.

Moral of the story, he was raised on "store bought" and in his mind "homemade" had to live up to that standard. Thankfully my sister didn't marry that one. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry to go off topic, but when you mentioned your Mom and "homemade" it reminded me of this.

dkelly.....my new favorite response ever!!!!
Carry on..............

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:08am
post #30 of 45

Well I will say that my family won't eat bakery or grocery store cakes, and I use cake box sometimes doctored sometimes not. I guess how many people love your cakes tells you, right? Thats what makes the world go round......to each his own. What one person loves another does not. Can't please veryone, and I dare say some people you cannot please ever icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%