Ok, Its Gone Too Far

Lounge By Horselady Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 2:31am by Horselady

Horselady Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:21am
post #1 of 19

I'm sitting here watching "sex rehab with dr drew" on VH1! What is with tv?

The moral issues of taping therapy sessions for money alone is mind blowing... But add to it that it is on VH1 for all people/kids to see.

Maybe I'm a prude and so far it is tasteful but I still feel inappropriate.

18 replies
redpanda Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:34am
post #2 of 19

Well, unless somebody was forcing you to watch, why did you even turn the show on? I agree that you wouldn't want young children to happen upon that show, but I suspect that if you have young children, you should probably be using parental controls and/or supervision to prevent them from seeing a lot of what is on VH1.

Mensch Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:35am
post #3 of 19

Well geez..... stop watching.

FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:53am
post #4 of 19

VH-1 has really gone in the toilet the last few years. Every skank in the world knows she has a place on one of their many reality dating shows, if she wants it.

My nephews (when they're over) are not even allowed to check that channel anymore. Instead of music (which they love), there's inevitably some raunchy, drunk-ass, pole dancin', bimbo fighting another or trying to undress the male "star".

Horselady Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:42am
post #5 of 19

I didn't watch it, and I don't have children. I could take all of 15 minutes of that crap. But then I can't stomach intervention either. I think these things are private, shouldn't be aired on tv. But then these days nothing is sacred

I haven't watched VH1 or MTV in YEARS!! Literally! Just not usually my thing. Oh well. I just think its no wonder kids are the way they are with this crap on tv. If I ever have a child, no tv in their room.

G_Cakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 19

With most of the reality shows on tv being well, not to my liking or taste I just change the channel and dont watch them.

But regarding the show Intervention...well I have to admit some times it is hard to stomach and watch but it is a sad and all to common reality of life for many family's world wide!

I think this show should be aired and more so young kids, tweens and up should watch.

This to me serves as a learn by example type show. I have watched this show many times with all of my children and I belive it to be a great source of information.

My boys know that life is about choices and watching this show they learned about others mistakes and bad choices and hopefully will learn not to make the same mistakes.

just MHO

dailey Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

I'm sitting here watching "sex rehab with dr drew" on VH1! What is with tv?

The moral issues of taping therapy sessions for money alone is mind blowing... But add to it that it is on VH1 for all people/kids to see.

Maybe I'm a prude and so far it is tasteful but I still feel inappropriate.




i agree. it's pathetic the stuff they put on tv. yeah, i can turn off the tv (or in my case, never put it on in the first place) but the fact that they *even* have that kind of crap and people who actually *want* to watch it is nauseating...

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

VH-1 has really gone in the toilet the last few years. Every skank in the world knows she has a place on one of their many reality dating shows, if she wants it.

My nephews (when they're over) are not even allowed to check that channel anymore. Instead of music (which they love), there's inevitably some raunchy, drunk-ass, pole dancin', bimbo fighting another or trying to undress the male "star".


icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Damn that was funny!

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 19

Intervention....oh, I can give them some credit. They do show the ugliness and the suffering the family goes thru. But the important part, is how they insist that everyone stop enabling and babying, and give them absolutes or else. Bring them their "bottom" if they don't think they are there yet. Tough love and all that jazz. I have LOTS of experience with this. Enablers....hmm, eerily familiar with certain situations of late. icon_wink.gif

adree313 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 19

speaking of MTV, has anyone noticed that they have exactly ONE show dedicated to music (videos)? it's called "AMTV", meaning it's on at the butt crack of dawn. i though MTV stood for Music TeleVision? all the rest of it is "reality" crap and whatever other lame show they could get funding for. weird.

though i am a fan of their "true life" (sometimes) and i am a fan of "intervention".

Memie Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 19

It would be cool to have an MTV channel devoted to 70's and 80's videos. That's one I would watch.

jammjenks Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #12 of 19

I agree with you, Horselady. The reality of it all, though, is that if no one ever watched those shows then they wouldn't air them. There must be a market for them.

At my house, if it ain't on FoodNetwork, ESPN, or Disney it probably ain't gonna be on.

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:58pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Intervention....oh, I can give them some credit. They do show the ugliness and the suffering the family goes thru. But the important part, is how they insist that everyone stop enabling and babying, and give them absolutes or else. Bring them their "bottom" if they don't think they are there yet. Tough love and all that jazz. I have LOTS of experience with this. Enablers....hmm, eerily familiar with certain situations of late. icon_wink.gif




icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_twisted.gif

kjt Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Intervention... Tough love and all that jazz. I have LOTS of experience with this. Enablers....hmm, eerily familiar with certain situations of late. icon_wink.gif




tapedshut.gif ( icon_razz.gif )

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:11pm
post #15 of 19

icon_biggrin.gif

snowboarder Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:54pm
post #16 of 19

I don't watch a lot of television, but someone turned me onto NCIS and there was a marathon session and now I'm addicted. Does anybody watch this? Because I missed a couple of key episodes.

G_Cakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:19am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder

I don't watch a lot of television, but someone turned me onto NCIS and there was a marathon session and now I'm addicted. Does anybody watch this? Because I missed a couple of key episodes.




My Hubby LOVES this show as well as the newer version NCIS L.A.

He never misses an episode maybe I should get him to create an account on CC and he can catch you up!

redpanda Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:30am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

I didn't watch it, and I don't have children. I could take all of 15 minutes of that crap. But then I can't stomach intervention either. I think these things are private, shouldn't be aired on tv. But then these days nothing is sacred

I haven't watched VH1 or MTV in YEARS!! Literally! Just not usually my thing. Oh well. I just think its no wonder kids are the way they are with this crap on tv. If I ever have a child, no tv in their room.




Sorry for the misinterpretation. I assumed (since you said, "I'm sitting here watching "sex rehab with dr drew" on VH1!") that you were watching it just before you wrote. Even from what you wrote here, you seem to have watched 15 minutes, which is about 14 minutes more than I would have tolerated!

I personally think that, even if you were to limit your children to "quality" television (is there any?), kids just don't need TVs in their bedrooms. I have a 16 year old, and he has neither TV nor computer in his room. Both the TV and computer have time limits set on them, too.

Funny thing is, it was never broadcast TV that got my son in trouble...it was watching hours and hours of DVDs...namely Northern Exposure, M*A*S*H, Quantum Leap, and The Muppet Show. If he would have gotten his chores and homework done before watching, I really wouldn't have complained. Teenagers!

Horselady Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:31am
post #19 of 19

Lol. Yeah, well I can be interested in the "sex" topic and do like educational shows on it. (Think "talk sex" with sue johanson). Anyway, I think what bothers me about this show and intervention is that they are using peoples troubles to make money (what's new right?). Bottom line is people with true addiction issues (sex, drugs, whatever) usually have some big emotional issues that will have to be dealt with. That shouldn't be done on tv IMO.

As to tv I do like criminal minds, house CSI, SVU etc. But I'm a tv junkie in the evening. I like to do 3-4 things at once so I cook dinner/surf net/ watch tv and talk to bf all at the same time lol. No wonder I can't remember crap!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%