Is Fondant Harmful For Dogs?

Lounge By sewlora Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 2:49am by adree313

sewlora Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:12am
post #1 of 12

my dog got into a my bag which had my class supplies it in. I found an empty plastic bag, and I finally realized she ate a golf ball size of Satin Ice.

She has brought some back up (sorry, too much information) but she isn't herself....

11 replies
adree313 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:28am
post #2 of 12

i think she'll be fine. she probably just overloaded herself on sugar.

i don't know for sure, you might want to call a vet. or just wait for someone who would know more to come along and help you out.

i hope she's okay!!

Horselady Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:32am
post #3 of 12

While every pet is different I just fed my min pin more than a golf ball sized piece. You might check lable, but usually if it is safe for humans it is also safe for dogs. I'd call the vet if she throws up more, gets bloody stool or has aggressive diareaha. But as far as I know, no fondant is not toxic to dogs.

adree313 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 12

hey that was my 500th post! figures it'd be about a dog icon_rolleyes.gif

i'm officially a 4 star "addict"!!!

sewlora Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:59am
post #5 of 12

LOL congrats on being a 4 star !!

The dog so far seems ok.

Mike1394 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 12

Only if it was Wilton LOLOL icon_biggrin.gif


Callyssa Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 12

Your dog should be fine. One ingredient in any food you need to be very cautious about for dogs is sugar alcohol; xylitol, maltitol, sorbitol, etc. anything that ends in 'ol'. But I think the one that's the worst is xylitol and is deadly to dogs. Even just a little bit of sugar free gum can kill them. It's not the ingredient per se that harms them but the way their bodies react to it. It causes a extreme drop in blood sugars and while you may think after day two of ingestion they will be fine, most dogs will go seriously downhill the next day, and die by day four, even ones who've had around the clock intensive care. I'm an avid dog hobbyist and I know people who have lost their prized show dogs due to sugar free gum, so it's nothing to take lightly.

That said, my little puppy got ahold of a chewed piece of sf gum last spring and when I realized it I gave her peroxide to make her bring it back up, rushed her into the vet for charcoal treatments, had her blood drawn several times to check sugar levels, they called animal poison control and when asked what type of gum she'd chewed (it was STRIDE) they said she'd be okay. I think they also said EXTRA should be alright also? So those are the only two sf gums allowed in our house, and even then I'm still a freak about keeping in an upper cupboard and making the kids tell me when they chew a piece, and also show me when they throw it away!

Oh yeah, and the week after that she ate half of a raw potato when she was nosing around in the pantry and someone accidentally shut her in, and THAT can cause problems too! Not the potato, but the skin and only if it has any of that green color they get sometimes. Exposure to light causes that and since I keep mine in the dark pantry they were fine, but, better to be safe than sorry, so she got the peroxide again!!

adree313 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 12

when you say peroxide, are you talking about the stuff in the brown bottles? and how do you give it to them? thanks for all the useful information! i never knew all that about the sugar free gum!

Callyssa Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 12

Oh, you're more than welcome! My dogs are like my children, and I would hate for anyone else to suffer a loss just because they might not know something.
Yes, just hydrogen peroxide in the brown bottles, that you would clean wounds with. I keep a spray bottle for my children cuts, scrapes, etc. and another big bottle just for dogs in case of emergency. I use a children's medicine dropper, stick it in the side of their mouth and squeeze it in. It gets messy, but who cares if it can save your babies! Make sure you lift their chin up a little before squirting it in. It doesn't take very much; my dogs are around 15 lbs. so a couple of tablespoons. It takes a few minutes, but it induces vomiting. I have some information somewhere on how much to use and how often, I will try to locate that and send to you. Glad I could help in some way!

mgwebb68 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 12

yep, plain old peroxide in the brown bottle. Any type of dosing syringe, even the ones they give out at the pharmacy for babies would work, you just have to make sure you get it down their throat.

My parents have a basset hound and he gets into everything so they are constantly having to use the peroxide on him.

Callyssa Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:10pm
post #11 of 12

Hey Mgwebb....I think I am near you! We just moved to the Woodlands about three months ago! Or, am I confusing Cypress with Spring/Cypress??! Because I'm completely lost here, even with my GPS!

adree313 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:49am
post #12 of 12

thanks so much for that information! my dogs are like my babies, too. my mom always laughs about how i'll go out and buy the dogs toys before i get anything for myself when my checks come in icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%