Cake Base Question

Decorating By MarlaQuack Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 3:06pm by -K8memphis

MarlaQuack Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #1 of 6

As I look at wedding cake pictures many are on a very solid looking stand, usually silver. What are these stand/bases called and where is the best place to get one?


5 replies
leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 6

that's a plateau.

MarlaQuack Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:59am
post #3 of 6


-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 6

You can buy them-- try ebay, or google it. You can rent them. I often make my own from foam, cover with fondant & emboss, then paint.

I've never done one with grapes & then painted it silver but I'm dying to. Try & make it look like a real silver one ---one of these days....

I did a gold one if I can find a picture. I wasn't super careful of the fondant seams 'cause it was huge 22 24 inches and it was a muy discounted cake.

If I can find a pic I'll post it later.

MarlaQuack Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks Kate, that was HUGELY helpful. I had not thought of making my own.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 6

In fact I am a cake stand junkie. I love making cake stands. I love the engineering I love making them. I love that they do not have a stale date like cakes do.

I've often thought about putting them on etsy or something since I can't do cakes from home.

On my funky little home made web page I made most of the stands. There's a real silver plateau under a red rose cascade cake that is store bought.

If you scroll down, in the Library on my wesite, in the story of my daughter's wedding cake, there's more info on how that stand was made--it's lighted.

Stand, don't sit, info for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%