Covering A Cake Board With Fondant

Decorating By suzied Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 1:02pm by suzied

suzied Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:21am
post #1 of 7

I have to cover a cake board 16" square with fondant. Please help me. Do i just roll out the fondant place it over the board and cut to shape? Or is there more. Will a kilo of fondant be enought. Thank you

6 replies
sugarandslice Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #2 of 7

Hi julied,
A kilo will be more than enough. Roll out your fondant (not too thick) and measure as you go so you know when it's big enough. Then lift up one side of the fondant and slide your board underneath. Then gently lift up one side of the fondant and brush the board with a little bit of water. Lift up the other side and do the same. Give it a rub with a smoother.
Leave it for 10min or more, then take a palette knife and run it round the edges to cut off the excess fondant. Clean up your edges and smooth again. Easy as!!

HTH

miny Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 7

There are several videos on how to do this in YouTube, the one I saw was round, but they don't cover the whole base, instead after they are done decorating the cake they put a strip of fondant around the cake to cover only the base and then trim the excess to make it pretty. HTH

deliciously_decadent Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:57am
post #4 of 7

i paint my board in vodka, roll out my fondant, roll the fondant up on my rolling pin and then unroll over the board sommoth and trim icon_smile.gif very easy!!

Meg147 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:30am
post #5 of 7

I always cover the base after decorating the cake, using edible glue & smooth it out.

I drink the Vodka afterwards icon_biggrin.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:32am
post #6 of 7

hehe!!! i keep the good stuff for me lol the cakes get the cheap stuff haha

suzied Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandslice

Hi julied,
A kilo will be more than enough. Roll out your fondant (not too thick) and measure as you go so you know when it's big enough. Then lift up one side of the fondant and slide your board underneath. Then gently lift up one side of the fondant and brush the board with a little bit of water. Lift up the other side and do the same. Give it a rub with a smoother.
Leave it for 10min or more, then take a palette knife and run it round the edges to cut off the excess fondant. Clean up your edges and smooth again. Easy as!!

HTH

Many, many thanks to all of you, specially sugarand slice - sounds easy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%