First Time Making Mmf

Decorating By abra526 Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 10:02pm by abra526

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 13

I did a trial run on MMF tonight, and for once, I think I got someting right on the first try! I was wondering how long MMF stays good. I wrapped it in saran, and put it in an airtight container in the fridge. I wasn't planning on using this for my cake next week, since it was a trial run, but will it keep that long?

12 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 13

Yes, that is the beauty of MMF! It will keep well for 2 weeks in the fridge. I coat it with crisco, wrap in saran and put it in a ziplock bag (push as much air out as possible! icon_smile.gif

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:47am
post #3 of 13

You're a mind reader! I was just looking at Rhonda's MMF a minute ago and was wondering how long it kept!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:18am
post #4 of 13

If it's too firm when you finally use it, don't knock yourself out trying to knead it soft...microwave! and it'll be perfectly pliable.

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:58am
post #5 of 13

How do you guys keep it from getting too soft? I can use mine but it gets so soft it wants to tear but I worry if I add more sug that it won't be stretchy enough or will get too sticky. Tia.
(Ps this is why I love satin ice but can't afford it for gift cakes.)

FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:19am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

How do you guys keep it from getting too soft? I can use mine but it gets so soft it wants to tear but I worry if I add more sug that it won't be stretchy enough or will get too sticky. Tia.
(Ps this is why I love but can't afford it for gift cakes.)

Mine only gets that way after I've added in alot of color, which I do with the aid of a microwave (so I don't have to knead as much to blend).
The combination of heat and lots of color can make it really soft, but after letting it rest awhile, it's completely fine again.

I only use Kraft Jet Puffed, by the way.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

(Ps this is why I love but can't afford it for gift cakes.)

If you're in a rush just put it in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm it up. If you have time, put it in the fridge for a couple hours. Just make sure you wrap it well.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 13

I agree - Jet puffed marshmallows - the only way to go! icon_smile.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 13

I store mine in the pantry for MONTHS! Still as good as new. I just zap it on 5 second increments to soften back up.

pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 13

i was wondering why the recipes say don't use jet puffed when that's what i used before i read that and haven't had any problems, anyone else know what the recipe says don't use jet puffed?

FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 13

I'm not sure, it may have just been someone's personal preference.

I used Wal-Mart's brand (which was the suggested choice) quite a few times, but it was sooo sweet, I always added grounded up salt, I don't need any when using Jet Puffed...also I had problems with pockmarks and bubbles.
It was inconsistent, which is the main complaint MMF usually gets.

AmandaGudi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaGudi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 13

So abra526 since this is your first time making MMF and you seemed to really like it, I have to ask which recipe you used? I want to try making it but there are 8 zillion different recipes on here and I have no idea which one I should try.

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:02pm
post #13 of 13

I was in the same boat, not knowing which recipe to use. A friend of mine sent me one that she got from cakejournal.com. If you search for marshmallow fondant, it takes you to a page with a sugar cookie recipe, then down a little bit there is a link to "how to make marshmallow fondant", and that's the one! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%