First Time Making Mmf

Decorating By abra526 Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 10:02pm by abra526

abra526 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 13

I did a trial run on MMF tonight, and for once, I think I got someting right on the first try! I was wondering how long MMF stays good. I wrapped it in saran, and put it in an airtight container in the fridge. I wasn't planning on using this for my cake next week, since it was a trial run, but will it keep that long?

12 replies
cakesrock Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 13

Yes, that is the beauty of MMF! It will keep well for 2 weeks in the fridge. I coat it with crisco, wrap in saran and put it in a ziplock bag (push as much air out as possible! icon_smile.gif

mrsc808 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:47am
post #3 of 13

You're a mind reader! I was just looking at Rhonda's MMF a minute ago and was wondering how long it kept!

FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:18am
post #4 of 13

If it's too firm when you finally use it, don't knock yourself out trying to knead it soft...microwave! and it'll be perfectly pliable.

Horselady Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:58am
post #5 of 13

How do you guys keep it from getting too soft? I can use mine but it gets so soft it wants to tear but I worry if I add more sug that it won't be stretchy enough or will get too sticky. Tia.
(Ps this is why I love satin ice but can't afford it for gift cakes.)

FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:19am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

How do you guys keep it from getting too soft? I can use mine but it gets so soft it wants to tear but I worry if I add more sug that it won't be stretchy enough or will get too sticky. Tia.
(Ps this is why I love but can't afford it for gift cakes.)

Mine only gets that way after I've added in alot of color, which I do with the aid of a microwave (so I don't have to knead as much to blend).
The combination of heat and lots of color can make it really soft, but after letting it rest awhile, it's completely fine again.

I only use Kraft Jet Puffed, by the way.

TheBlonde Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

(Ps this is why I love but can't afford it for gift cakes.)

If you're in a rush just put it in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm it up. If you have time, put it in the fridge for a couple hours. Just make sure you wrap it well.

cakesrock Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 13

I agree - Jet puffed marshmallows - the only way to go! icon_smile.gif

ddaigle Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 13

I store mine in the pantry for MONTHS! Still as good as new. I just zap it on 5 second increments to soften back up.

pupandbon Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 13

i was wondering why the recipes say don't use jet puffed when that's what i used before i read that and haven't had any problems, anyone else know what the recipe says don't use jet puffed?

FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 13

I'm not sure, it may have just been someone's personal preference.

I used Wal-Mart's brand (which was the suggested choice) quite a few times, but it was sooo sweet, I always added grounded up salt, I don't need any when using Jet Puffed...also I had problems with pockmarks and bubbles.
It was inconsistent, which is the main complaint MMF usually gets.

AmandaGudi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 13

So abra526 since this is your first time making MMF and you seemed to really like it, I have to ask which recipe you used? I want to try making it but there are 8 zillion different recipes on here and I have no idea which one I should try.

abra526 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:02pm
post #13 of 13

I was in the same boat, not knowing which recipe to use. A friend of mine sent me one that she got from cakejournal.com. If you search for marshmallow fondant, it takes you to a page with a sugar cookie recipe, then down a little bit there is a link to "how to make marshmallow fondant", and that's the one! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%